Kodi 17 RC3 Low Memory Warning (even with 32GB of DDR5 ram...)
Hi everyone,

I keep getting this low memory warning even though my PC is new and fully loaded and has 32 GB of DDR5 ram.

What should I do to prevent this or is this a known issue with Kodi 17 RC3?

Thank-you,

Shawn
Have you alt-tab'ed out of this to see whats eating the memory?
I havent experienced anything like this on any windows system with kodi 17rc anything running
I'll agree with @Atreyu you need to see how much memory the system is reporting, and what is using what..https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653 I had this message at one point when I had a badly configured ram stick, and that's how I found an extra 8 gigs of memory.
I run Kodi just fine on Win 8.1 and 8 Gb RAM. Of course Kodi itself can use no more than 4Gb of VAS, be it in RAM or otherwise, though since it runs in WOW64 (on Win x64) the system can use additional memory to support Kodi's process. I have been able to crash Kodi 16 due to VAS limit by loading > 5,000 image files in pictures / slideshow. There's supposed to be some fixes in 17 that reduce the VAS required to load images, but haven't had a chance to test yet.

scott s.
(2017-01-19, 18:56)Atreyu Wrote: Have you alt-tab'ed out of this to see whats eating the memory?
I havent experienced anything like this on any windows system with kodi 17rc anything running

it just did it again only a total of 8 percent of memory was being used total yet windows keeps showing the warning and locking up the computer
Sounds like your memory is not handled properly.
Might be faulty hardware as i havent experienced this on healty systems.
You do have a x64 OS running, right?

Anyway, its not a kodi issue, just mentioned because its probably the only non- native app running
(2017-01-19, 23:02)Atreyu Wrote: Sounds like your memory is not handled properly.
Might be faulty hardware as i havent experienced this on healty systems.
You do have a x64 OS running, right?

Yes windows 10 64bit
Then i would say check your RAM module(s). Otherwise, i am out of ideas.
I also run kodi on windows 10 Pro 64bit with 32GB of RAM and never get this warning
Moanbag is in da place!
(2017-01-20, 14:39)Atreyu Wrote: Then i would say check your RAM module(s). Otherwise, i am out of ideas.

Whats the easiest way to check my RAM modules?
Do you have more modules than 1?
If yes, take one out and see if the low memory warning persists. If not, you have the cause. If yes, try running with only the other one.
I must mention though, if you do so, do it with extreme caution and reduce any static (no wool for instance) before opening your housing.
You dont want to cause any damage in the process...
I don't know about Win 10, but on Win 7 that OS warning can be very misleading. I would install Process Explorer, VMMap and RAMMap, all from MS (used to be "system internals").

First thing is, do you have "paging" enabled in the OS? The so-called "system commit limit" is the sum of installed RAM and max paging file. You can look at the current System Committed memory vs the system limit in ProcExp. Next you an look at the committed memory for any running processes. For 32 bit processes running in WOW64 the process commit limit is 4Gb. For 64 bit processes I think it is determined by the specific x64 OS version you run (but it is very large up to terabytes for enterprise versions of Win 10 x64). You can use VMMap to see what any running process is using in its address space. Committed memory is the amount of virtual address space (VAS) the process has reserved from the OS, but the amount actually used in RAM or page file is less.

Note that the Windows OS memory manager will use any RAM not actively required by processes as a "system cache" so typically no RAM is left "unused". I don't use integrated graphics, so can't help on how system RAM is allocated to graphics in that configuration.

As an aside for anyone else, if you are running 32 bit (x86) windows, while the process commit limit is still 4Gb, the OS will only allow a process to commit 2Gb of that. The "other" 2Gb is reserved for system functions that must run inside the process's address space, though it is possible with some boot switches to adjust that so the process can use 3Gb and windows only 1Gb, at the risk of crashing the process due to memory starvation in that 1Gb chunk. Also, the app has to be compiled with "large address space aware" setting. Again, this is only for x86 Windows, not a factor in x64. However, it does appear that Kodi for windows is not compiled with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE according to one tool I have. Maybe a dev can comment on that?

scott s.
Also to add does it do it right away or take a bit? An attached log file may also help.
Ok here are the logs and kodi 17 crash dump

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0...sp=sharing
Well lets start with the easy bits XFILE::CWin32SMBDirectory::ConnectAndAuthenticate: Can't connect to "\\192.168.1.6\SERVERSTORAGE" you need to get the right password back into kodi for that.

Is it only when you play h264 movies or anytime?

Just speculating a bit here for the devs. There are quite a large number of h264 errors. Wonder if it is throwing from inside the code somewhere and leaking? As this seems like a leak.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17 RC3 Low Memory Warning (even with 32GB of DDR5 ram...)0