XBMC on Gentoo
Well, the ubuntu-people is talking about builds after this revision, so I presume they got it working -- so, must be something gentoo-specific Wink
XBMC on Gentoo is as good as it gets! :o
The "play from transparent rars" bug (it should work without transparent rar's enabled, or at least it does here) is confirmed. I know what's causing it, and will fix later today.

The problem is that with the boost stuff in, the directorycache is storing the same item as we are returning to XBMC from the filesystem. However, we alter the path of these items, so the paths are also altered within the directorycache. The directorycache is used in CFile::Exists() but is "dumb" in that all it checks is path vs path, but ofcourse the path for the rar item has been replaced with the .avi (or whatever) within the rar.

The simple fix is duplicating the items to the directorycache. Not sure whether this is really the best fix or not - the directorycache stuff needs a thorough review, as we have multiple caching systems (to disk and to memory) that make things a little confusing. The directorycache in question appears only used in CFile::Exists() for the most part - most other stuff clears the cache on directory fetch, so it's only caching the directory listing to save a stat() on the files from that folder at a later date (useful for thumb checking for instance).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Stack/rar/zip problem fixed in rev 13754 of linuxport branch. Will be backported to xbox this weekend.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Stack/rar/zip problem fixed in rev 13754 of linuxport branch. Will be backported to xbox this weekend.
*bow*
There's an ebuild for libmms-0.4 that supports mms streaming in bugs.gentoo.org
I'v started a little HOWTO on gentoo-wiki
please take a look and update or tell me if thers anything wrong =)
Hmpf, can't edit your own posts :\
What revs are you guys running?

I have tried the 4 latest and the gui crashes when trying to play a movie. with no logentrys saying what coused it.

I read that someone recomended rev 13711 and 13715
when playing movies with those the gui crashes and says Segfault.

I'd really like to get this working.
The actual xbmc is crashing pretty heavily itself, I'm using a wrapper script as of now, since XBMC crashes 3-4 times before even launching (since the past two days):

Code:
vecna ~ $ cat /sbin/xbmc
#!/bin/bash
killall -9q xbmc.bin
speaker-test -c2 --device cards.pcm.iec958 --rate 48000 &
sleep 2 && killall -9q speaker-test
while true; do
/usr/local/xbmc/xbmc.bin
done
vecna ~ $

That way, it'll keep trying to launch xbmc until it succeeds.
I did a bit of reading in the forum and whats the odds that I have Intel HD Audio
Alsa driver on both my computers. And aparently if U have that driver compiled in kernel U have to emerge alsa-lib with the debug useflag Huh
else U get "Floating point exception" whenever trying to play a movie...

very strange
alphacube Wrote:I did a bit of reading in the forum and whats the odds that I have Intel HD Audio
Alsa driver on both my computers. And aparently if U have that driver compiled in kernel U have to emerge alsa-lib with the debug useflag Huh
else U get "Floating point exception" whenever trying to play a movie...

very strange

Next time maybe read the first post in the thread. The bug in Gentoo's alsa-libs has been know for quite a while now.
ohh man...sorry Blush
next time I'll try to open my eyes.

could have saved me a lot of hours... Blush
//Alphacube
Question 
(where is the EDIT button Stare )

Is the alsa-lib debug thing a general problem with gentoo?
if so I need to update the Howto.
//Alphacube
I've only had an issue with it while using XBMC so we may be doing something wrong. However, since Gentoo isn't the supported platform it isn't likely that it'll be looked into in the near future.
Thumbs Up 
There's a nice ebuild at bugs
It downloads the latest svn and installs. Big Grin
//Alphacube
alphacube, solid work on the ebuild!

First time installing a 3rd party ebuild, but it went very well. xbmc is now installed, and I'm very excited. I've been an xbmc user for around 3 years now and seeing xbmc on gentoo with hd capability is brilliant!

I have a couple questions that are gentoo specific, so I thought this thread was appropriate:

1. When posting xbmc bugs to this forum, it's asked that you include the SVN number, but in System information it says "exported". Where can I find the SVN? Is this something that can be fixed? If so, how?

2. When I upgrade, do I simply re-emerge your ebuild? Will that download the latest SVN?

3. This may not be gentoo-specific, but I haven't seen anybody else have this issue on the forums: when I navigate the menus, my current selections are not highlighted (highlit?). In the root menu, there's a cursor next the selections (Video, Music, Weather, etc) but when i drill down into the submenus, in XBMC on my xbox, selections are highlighted so you know where you are. This isn't the case for me on gentoo. Thoughts?

I'm also having a digital sound issue, but I need to dig around a bit before bother anybody with that.

Thanks for the help.

XBMC on gentoo, wow ... I'm genuinely giddy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Gentoo1