Library cleans itself on auto-background-scan if networked source is offline on boot
Sad 
Hi all, I have just turned on my xbox without realised my router
was unplugged. The xbox scans for new media on startup and since
all my media was stored on my computer which couldn't be reached
the xbox has cleaned out the entire library!
I have restarted the xbox several times but the library is still empty (even though the .db files are still there) , is there anyway I can restore it?
This seems like a good candidate for a Feature Request of some kind (automatically backup database when performing operations which remove records).
Catchy Signature Here
and to answer you question, it sounds like your database is crapzorzed, you'll need to re-scan it.
Catchy Signature Here
I had this happen to me too - it's a matter of going back into your sources and setting content on the folders again. Of course, the larger your repositories, the longer the re-scan takes.

Right after that happened to me, I had XBMC export my library just in case that happened again - I wouldn't necessarily be caught up 100%, but a heck of a lot further than 0%.

Quote:This seems like a good candidate for a Feature Request of some kind (automatically backup database when performing operations which remove records).

I agree. I'm not sure how the autoscan works (I assume it's a Python script), but maybe it could ask you (or warn you) that records will be removed, and you have the option to cancel.

Or better yet, maybe there's a way that it can see if the xbox is connected to the network or not, and if not, it would NOT remove entries from the database, or it wouldn't remove any network sources, anyways (allowing for those people who keep everything on the xbox hdd to still have the benefits).
Not Python and it would have the same effect if your pc was off and you jumped to library mode and did a manual update afaik... not related to startup in anyway.

The auto startup is simply a request to start the standard update library immediately on startup of xbox with/without dialog.
That's why I phrased the FR the way I did. I feel its irrelevant how the operation is begun, the key point is that records will be removed from the database. The only exception to this behavior should be when you manually remove a movie or TV series, because thats explicitly a user-initiated action.
Catchy Signature Here
yeah but for arguements sake you have removed 20-30 movies off your pc... do u want to do them manually on xbox aswell? i think the idea of if items exist in db that = network related then do not remove them if no connection.
I'm a little surprised more people haven't reported the problem as I couldn't find anything on a search.
The solution for now will have to be to turn off library updating on startup and do it manually.
Are there any scripts that will periodically backup the library files that anyone knows of?
I'd be tempted to split the operations up into two:

1. Update Library -> Adds new files only, used in Automatic Updates.

2. Clean Library -> Removes old files only, triggered by user only.

It's the only way to safely make sure that automatic updates don't go and do this.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thumbs Up 
@JM, sounds like a good idea, ...at least until someone finds a better solution, (if ever that is).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Personally i cant see another solution other than checking if network does not exist yet db contains network items then do not clean. But im no code guru so its easier to type this than put it into action.
You know I never thought of this before (PC share is always on) but yeah I'm with JM take cleaning out of auto update
imo taking it out would be a great setback for its usability. just keep your network up already. whatever u decide i'll keep my private diffs ofc
And im with spiff to be honest... i want it all automated, dont want to have to update then clean media all the time. I use WOL python script via an autoexec so i disable auto startup scan at the moment.

Easy solution for me Smile
maybe a simple check if network is connected and then check if source of file is network path if it is don't clean that file (only for auto cleaning)

And if you really want to get rid of it then do a manual clean

Honestly it really dosn't effect me either since my network storage is always on, but I can just imagine my router screwing up one day not being able to connect and loosing my whole db since I don't store anythign locally

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library cleans itself on auto-background-scan if networked source is offline on boot0