Library cleans itself on auto-background-scan if networked source is offline on boot
Mrrodz Wrote:Hi Im not to sharp on all this but what if you stored the lib/scraper info on the remote storage eg the nas or pc, if it isnt connected it cant remove anything from it and when its back connected it can read from that file?

actually this is a pretty good idea. I have a mate who has multiple XBOX's and the ability to keep a central library that multiple xbox's feed off would simply things.

OR add functionality to the XBOX autodetection features already built in to share/use another XBOX's library.
What exactly are you even talking about when you say "Store lib/scraper info on the remote storage"?

And, sharing to auto-detected boxes is extremely impractical given the current implementation of the library. Main problems: 1-SQLite in XBMC has NO network functionality, and as such can't in its current form deal with multiple "clients" -and- 2-browsing speed depends on the thumbnail files being cached locally. FTP is very inefficient when it comes to moving many small files, which is what you're talking about doing here.
Catchy Signature Here
Has there been any updates with this feature

Unfortunately I lost my entire Library once again last night when my wireless dropped out.
Its certainly not been forgotten about but its not a simple fix, ideas have been thrown about and when we have something concrete im sure it will be resolved.

Until then if you are aware that your wireless is unreliable please switch off the auto update to save yourself future problems.
One idea is to back up the video library file before performing an update (presumably same would have to be done for the music db).
Spiff is aware of the suggestion and is taking it into serious consideration.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i have multible xboxes and this is a problem i have been running into forever just didnt want to complain about it. i cant help to cure the problem but i can tell you how i get around it. first off i have 5 xboxes in the house 1 in every room on 4 xboxes the auto scan stays on all the time. i build a library on 1 its the protype for the 5. i copy its userdata to the remaining 4 that i have the auto scan turned on on and any additions i do later i do it manually on the protype this way if i lose the data there is always 1 that is still up to date and i can just ftp the userdata back to it and in less than 5 minites im back up again.this is also how i test a new build to see if im going to use it or not.this is the only thing i can think to do and it works quiet well for me my library exceeds 600 titles and 25 tv shows if i were to lose it all it would usually take 2 to 3 days to rescan.
sho Wrote:One idea is to back up the video library file before performing an update (presumably same would have to be done for the music db).
Spiff is aware of the suggestion and is taking it into serious consideration.

That's what I would like... possibly with a rotation too just in case you scan again after everything was wiped out before you realize you had a back up. Something like:

MyVideos34.db.backup1
MyVideos34.db.backup2
MyVideos34.db.backup3
MyVideos34.db.backup4
IF i ever get around to implementing this; which BTW is YOUR FAULT for having FAULTY network configurations, it will certainly be as simple as one file.
spiff Wrote:IF i ever get around to implementing this; which BTW is YOUR FAULT for having FAULTY network configurations, it will certainly be as simple as one file.

Well, in my case it is my fault for using an old computer as my media server with a less than perfect IDE controller that occassionally loses the connection to two of the HDD's... but yeah, I know what you are saying. Smile

I've learned to manually backup my db's often though so whenever it happens it isn't a huge deal to recover from.
Star 
Hi there,

First of all, i want to congratulate everybody that had contributed in any way to the xbmc delevopment... this is simply the best and most useful program ever, its really nice to have xbmc for free... no words to express my gratitude, just, thank you all

Now, the bug report... i'm having some problems using the library function... i'm connecting my xbox on my wireless network, via cable using an AP Client... but this AP Client is a little bugged, so from time to time, i need to reset my router, then the AP Client can connect to it again... Not a huge problem, a simple router reset solves everything...

But, if my AP Client is in that state (where it cannot connect to my router), and i turn on my xbox, access my video library, xbmc does not show any video at all... its ok to not show anything, but at this time my library got deleted... i need to search everything again, fix the mistitled things, etc etc etc... Thats not cool, because i can fix my network with some clicks (and all i need to do is restart xbox media center), but then i need to recreate my whole video library, mark the watched files (really annoiyng in fact), etc

There isnt a way to fix that? Something like, if you access your library and xbmc cannot find the partition or the source, just dont show the files... and give the option to "clean the 'not found' files manually"... that doesnt happen only when my AP Client is with error... sometimes i reboot my laptop without my HD been connected on the USB, then Windows loses the shared options to that folder... if i access my library without the shared folder, there it go, my library is history again... Sad

I understand the reason why the library is developed like this, but IMHO thats not the better way to do it...

Any chance to work on this matter? I know there's a lot of bigger problems, but this is really keeping my away from the library... i dont think i'm the only one having this issue... No

Thank you all anyway, sorry for the big post, and sorry for my very bad english... Blush
Turn OFF the auto-updates of the library.

The auto-updates is what is killing it (it checks file existence, and cleans stuff out as required.)
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

yeah I like to hit the export button from time to time in settings so I have a backup incase this happens
ok i'll try without the "auto-update" feature...

i dont know how the library works, but i know that a DB file is used... theres no way to add a simple logical field? if the source is not available, check this field with a negative value (insted of excluding it), then, only show the records with this field 'true'... and a little button called "clear my excluded files"...

maybe i dont know what i'm talking about, if so, i'm sorry
It doesn't exclude anything. The library doesn't care if your files are there or not. The only thing that cares is the scanning process (makes sense, doesn't it) which checks all paths, and removes things that no longer exist from the db.

Short answer: Don't run any scanning processes, and the library will not be touched.

Don't run the auto scanning process he means a manual "Update library" does not clean it as it goes it just adds the new stuff (at least I'm pretty sure)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library cleans itself on auto-background-scan if networked source is offline on boot0