v17 Plasma and ProjectM gone!
Hi, guys! I'm using Kodi on Ubuntu 14.04 and just today it has updated from 16 to 17...
OK, first I was completely frustrated with it's new interface, but quickly found out how to revert to Confluence via add-ons.
But now what I see is that both Plasma among other screensavers and ProjectM visualisations are gone! I still have their packages installed, but I guess new Kodi needs new versions of them? Will there be an update for them as well? Or maybe there's some alternative way to make them work again in the 17?
Oh! I've just remembered there was some issue with the directory their files are placed in! I had the same problem in 16 and after replacing them to some other location they appeared in Kodi. Can you please remind me where from and to is it needed to be done? Smile
If you have an intel system, it seems that you're out of luck.
Fritsch stated in this thread that it won't work on Kodi17 anymore on intel Sad
OK now. I already *HATE!!!* 17 more and more by the minute.
Can someone give me a package of 16.1 for Ubuntu 14.04? Because there isn't one in repository anymore Sad
try shadertoy instead of projectm.
(2017-02-12, 16:14)wsnipex Wrote: try shadertoy instead of projectm.

Well...
1 - I have no idea how! It's package installed, but Kodi doesn't see it. I have not a single one visualisation available after update!! Sad
2 - It's not even close to ProjectM! Nothing comes even close to ProjectM!!!

Man should I've known better, I'd lock the version of Kodi in package manager and NEVER EVER would upgrade it anymore!!!!AngryAngryAngry
Total bummer. I got upgraded by auto-update and now I cant go back becuz 16.1 was pulled from the PPA in Linux Mint. Tried my hand at installing using a .tar.gz but since I dont speak Swahili I was doomed to failure from the start. From what I have seen the upgrade was not worth losing projectm over. Is the development team going to try? Hope so. One of the best parts of Kodi is gone.
I really liked ProjectM and still use shadertoy. It would be really nice, but's not a deal breaker for me. I've just gone back to turning the tv off most of the time while listening to music. But I have spent most of the last 20 years having some visualization while I listen. I did like the ProjectM ones.

Could you run LibreElec or OSMC in a v16? Dual boot or even from a flash card. Might be an easy way to get back to 16 if needed.

One other question for team Kodi, sorry to hijack. Were there any improvements or even changes to the sound quality from 16 to 17? Any more reason he (or all of us) should use 17? Or is that more of an OS thing and I should look for my answer in OpenElec places?
(2017-02-13, 01:19)Abig Dumas Wrote: Total bummer. I got upgraded by auto-update and now I cant go back becuz 16.1 was pulled from the PPA in Linux Mint. Tried my hand at installing using a .tar.gz but since I dont speak Swahili I was doomed to failure from the start. From what I have seen the upgrade was not worth losing projectm over. Is the development team going to try? Hope so. One of the best parts of Kodi is gone.

There is a way (at least for now) to install 16.1. You just need to change repository to ppa:team-xbmc/kodi-old this one: https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archiv...u/kodi-old
Thanks to people here on the forum, that pointed me to this thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=306815 Smile
I even saved myself .deb files from there for the future, besause if understand it right - next time when the next version of KODI comes out they'll be pulled out of there either and replaced with 17.
(2017-02-13, 01:56)albertstroh77 Wrote: I really liked ProjectM and still use shadertoy. It would be really nice, but's not a deal breaker for me. I've just gone back to turning the tv off most of the time while listening to music.

But it IS a deal-breaker for me. Shadertoy has constanl vertical lines in it and I'm afraid they'll burn into my plasma screen with the time. I *really* need visualisation that constantly changes picture *all over* the screen.
And I can't turn-off the TV besause audio is outputed through it via HDMI.
i'm working on restoring projectm for kodi 17, but i need to work through other people because i do not have the troublesome hardware at hand. some patience is required.
No Prob. Thanks, you're the man. I'd help test it if you need any help.
(2017-02-14, 08:44)ironic_monkey Wrote: i'm working on restoring projectm for kodi 17, but i need to work through other people because i do not have the troublesome hardware at hand. some patience is required.
Great news!! Really appreciate your efforts! Unfortunately I have trouble checking my e-mail let alone coding Linux but I hope you are successful. Project M is directly responsible for me getting into Kodi. Saw it on a friends setup and knew right away I had to have it.
Will be watching closely.
(2017-02-14, 08:24)evilblade Wrote:
(2017-02-13, 01:19)Abig Dumas Wrote: Total bummer. I got upgraded by auto-update and now I cant go back becuz 16.1 was pulled from the PPA in Linux Mint. Tried my hand at installing using a .tar.gz but since I dont speak Swahili I was doomed to failure from the start. From what I have seen the upgrade was not worth losing projectm over. Is the development team going to try? Hope so. One of the best parts of Kodi is gone.

There is a way (at least for now) to install 16.1. You just need to change repository to ppa:team-xbmc/kodi-old this one: https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archiv...u/kodi-old
Thanks to people here on the forum, that pointed me to this thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=306815 Smile
I even saved myself .deb files from there for the future, besause if understand it right - next time when the next version of KODI comes out they'll be pulled out of there either and replaced with 17.

Just added the PPA and I can't find 16.1. The only entry in the PPA that I can find that says anything about 16.1 is for installing some sort of event log. Hopefully ironic monkey will prevail.
(2017-02-15, 00:56)Abig Dumas Wrote:
(2017-02-14, 08:24)evilblade Wrote:

Just added the PPA and I can't find 16.1. The only entry in the PPA that I can find that says anything about 16.1 is for installing some sort of event log. Hopefully ironic monkey will prevail.

Oh.. I think you might have a version of Ubuntu there isn't a 16.1 package for.. In fact, I can see there are only two of them - for Trusty (14.04) and for Xenial (16.04)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plasma and ProjectM gone!0