.nfo url and <movie>
they are cleverly hidden in xbmc/

wait, that's not cleverly hidden at all....................
Obfuscation at its finest... put something where everyone expects it to be and nobody finds it. Smile

I'd like to see this functionality extended beyond the <title> tag so we can override the year, rating, etc. So the code would:
  1. Check for IMDB links. If found, get the IMDB info.
  2. Check for XML data. If found, loop through each tag and override the IMDB info.
You might have to ignore IMDB links inside the XML data, otherwise you might pick up on links that you don't intend it to process.
Good to see this is picking up pace, greatly appreciated. One question - how often does the IMDB ratings change?
They change a lot for new/popular movies and very little for older/less-popular ones. It's just math.

Take Juno for example: http://imdb.com/title/tt0467406/
With 37,018 votes and a 8.4 rating, it would take an a few thousand 10 votes to change it to an 8.5.

For comparison, Untracable: http://imdb.com/title/tt0880578/
With 1290 votes and a 6.1 rating, it would take around 100 votes to change the rating.

By the time you get it into your library there will probably be at least a DVD Screener out for it, which means there will probably be a lot of votes. As a result even if the rating does change, it won't be a significant change. The obvious exception is if you watch really non-mainstream stuff... like lots of independent films.
I am really glad to see that there are other people interested in this. I would love to have this implemented into the code. A lot of movies are named completely different then what I would want them to be named from IMDb.
Is there a way we can make this non-specific to a particular scraper? I was thinking that if this were actually going to be implemented, it'd be best to do it in such a way that the user could choose any scraper and have it work as expected. I THINk thats actually no big deal, since the stuff we are talking about applies to other stuff as well as IMDB.

As to the actual "how it works" side of things, my thoughts:
-I think that if the user has made the effort to put a specific URL into the NFO then thats what should be used for the lookup
-The scraper should iterate through each field to be populated, and check the NFO contents first. If there's something (even an empty field) in the NFO, then that should be used and the value should not be scraped from the web
-If a field is NOT contained in the NFO file, then the value is pulled from the web.

What do you guys think about handling info already present in the database? I think currently this operation is treated as a "refresh", so the current info in the database is removed / overwritten. Do you think this is the way things "should" be?

If we can get this function AND the "export to NFO/ TBN" functions coded then I think the video database will be about as good as it can be Wink
Catchy Signature Here
Any updates? This would be a great benefit.
I wanted to give this thread a bump. Could someone please have a look at this? Thanks.
I've never done any XBMC development but I'm a software engineer and proficient in C/C++ so I will look into implementing this feature... I'll try downloading and compiling the XBMC source this weekend.
Hi midgetspy, how did you go?
There is an outstanding feature request for this.
Hopefully some dev is willing to invest time in this for the next release (after Atlantis or 8.10).
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4460
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Great, thanks. Would it be possible to add a link to this thread on the Feature Request?
You can do so if you wish, sure.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Looks like this might have been added:
http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/16386

Thank-You!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
.nfo url and <movie>0