Kodi 17 - Windows Admin account
Hi,

I have been using Kodi / XBMC for many years with no real issues which I only mention to highlight that I am not new to Kodi!

I just installed Kodi 17 over the top of 16 on a Windows 10 (anniversary edition) using the 'old fashioned' installer (i.e. not from the store) and find that I can now only run it as an Administrator. I have never had this issue before and have no idea why it should have suddenly become a problem now.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would like to get this resolved as I plan to upgrade two other PCs from 16 to 17.

Thanks
Hello, as long you have no portable mode you can install kodi as normal user.
Thanks but I have installed using the standard Windows installer. The installer itself asked for Admin privileges (as expected) but once installed will not run as a standard user either.

I am not using any kind of portable installation.
Kodi should run as a standard user

-Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi
-right click on kodi.exe and choose properties
-go to compatibility panel and make sure "run as admin" is uncheck
-do the same thing in the kodi shortcut properties
Moanbag is in da place!
Thanks I checked all that and it still will not run as a standard user.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing and I also tried installing from the Windows Store.
Nothing worked so I went back and reinstalled 16.1 and that works fine.

Very strange....
.....but a solution for version 17 would be nice.
Will 17.1rc user install work, or do permissions deny you? I would be tempted to try portable mode as a normal user.
Does your suggestion to try 17.1rc imply that this might be a known issue?

I might try 17.1rc but I'd always rather stay with stable versions.

And if I do go for a portable install can I still keep all my preferences, settings and database etc.? I have it replicated across three PCs.

And on that note what implications are there (if any) with my preferences, settings and database etc. if I end up having to run different versions on different devices?
As @Gracus mentioned, Kodi should run directly as a normal user. I was asking if you installed as a normal user without admin privilages, would there be an issue? As you have a problem it's always good to try an incremental version to see if the version you have had a bug that was squashed, and in portable mode, there really no risk to your present set-up that is not working properly, although 17.0 never gave me issue.

Quote:And if I do go for a portable install can I still keep all my preferences, settings and database etc.? I have it replicated across three PCs.
The first step is getting it to run properly, so customization and settings can wait. Once fully operational, close it down and copy out your entire userdata folder into the correct path e.g. Kodi\portable_data\userdata which should bring in your old settings and set-up, sans add-ons or copy the entire Kodi roaming folder over, but you might be copying the problem too.
Quote:And on that note what implications are there (if any) with my preferences, settings and database etc. if I end up having to run different versions on different devices?
Would definitely create problems if you used different Kodi iterations for a multiple connected system, but I doubt in Krypton 17.1 you would have an issue, using the same database and interface as 17.0
@PatK
Thanks again, yes, I installed 17 as a standard user but Windows asked for the Admin password before it would carry out the install. I would have though this was normal behaviour with Windows before it will install software? My gut feeling is that there is a bug in the install somewhere although the fact that no one else seems to have reported this issue makes me think it must be something very obscure.

As I said 16 installs and works perfectly (that is where I currently am).

Thanks for the info re. copying the folders if I do a portable install (I can see no reason not to) and re. multiple installations.
Permissions for me where a royal PIA and I went the total opposite direction and tried to make my system as clean as possible without nanny software, I was somewhat successful (networking is still royal for me). My position is a hardware firewall on my router, and some virus protection, and I have control.
Quote:Windows asked for the Admin password before it would carry out the install
It should ask for sure, but a password?... but going to far? The statement below implies a password is not needed if installed as admin.

In Windows Vista, 7 and 8 a new feature called User Account Control is provided, using which, only admins can provide permissions for making any modifications in the system. While installing any software or running any application you must have noticed a dialog box asking “Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to your computer”. This type of authentication is called Prompt for Consent. The user need not provide any password, but permission is to be provided by the administrative account only.

Here's a good link if you want to change this behaviour to something a bit more moderate. http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-18207...tasks.html

Quote:copying the folders if I do a portable install (I can see no reason not to) and re. multiple installations.
Best of all worlds, just step cautiously and always run from the shortcut.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17 - Windows Admin account0