[PATCH] Hidden files through samba is hidden
Just published a patch wich hides files that the samba server declares as hidden.
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php...tid=581840
Quote:Just noticed that hidden files on samba with linux isn't working so I made
a patch for it.
It should work on Windows hidden files as well because it's not just
checking if the file is doted but if smbclient is saying it's hidden

I think this patch should work with the usual XBMC version to but I have no
way of testing this.

Although it would have to be a bit retrofitted, not much though. The 2
alike if's would need to be molded together.

I don't need to append the "hide dot files = yes" line to smb.conf but some other might?
I just noted that I was a bit hasty when I did the bit compare, it doesn't work with hidden readonly files. although this is never a problem with smb shared from linux it might be wierd with Widows shares.

I've submitted an update for this on the same tracker
Made another small one which makes hidden files on local hdd also apear hidden.
2 patches, one wich merges this with the samba wich gives a new setting in Appearence -> View Options

And one more standalone wich leave samba share as is.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php...tid=581840
I searched for 'linux hidden files' and found this thread. Strange that noone else has commented on it. The hidden files on my fileserver (linux, so the filenames start with a period) remain hidden on the 'regular' XBMC but shows in XBMC for Linux. The "Show hidden files and directories" option has no effect.

I just recompiled XBMC under Linux today and Topfs2's patch is there. However, hidden files still show up. Hoping this will get more attention soon Smile
Well this isn't in trunk as far as I know yet so if the files are hidden in the regular XBMC that's truly wierd Smile

This fix is only Samba, not FTP or NFS or anything else? What's your server?
I have an old Fedora core server, running Samba 3.0.23
Hidden files have never showed up on the xbox... Huh
okay, there is a difference in the Xbox version of the code which i supposed were there for another unkown reason so I haven't included it in the linux port. I'll look into this as this might be another way to hide files (old ? ) I'll look over as soon as I come home.

I assume you haven't tried this with windows as server? For me the fix works both on latest ubuntu and windows were "." doesn't hide on windows (Server chooses wich are hidden)

Thx for post. I'll dive into this more when I get home from school.
I've uploaded a new one now and hopefully it fixes it, although it is not possible to use the exact same code as with the Xbox version, different smbclients a imagine. If it doesn't work I'd really like a log (of the newest version) and to know wich distro your running on the client. And possibly the version of libsmbclient.
Might be off topic: Am I the only one experiencing problems with non-hidden files not showing up? If i browse to /root/public/pictures only about half of my folders show up. The same folders are shared over my network and all the folders appear if i browse them through smb on my linux box. I thought perhaps since Topfs2 is the hidden files guru you might be able to shed some light on the subject. Cheers.
Are they still hidden when you change the setting in Appearence -> View options ?
Topfs2: Did your latest fix make it into SVN ? I just compiled rev11627 from scratch and I still see my hidden files... Sad
yeah i've updated, but mostly minor.
Can you please post the log for me? http://pastebin.com/
Topfs2 Wrote:Are they still hidden when you change the setting in Appearence -> View options ?

Yes they are. I waited on posting about this when i saw the changes in svn regarding hidden files. I thought perhaps the added ability to tell the difference between the two would "unhide" my missing folders (just to reiterate they were never marked as hidden from the beginning thought it might be a case issue but renaming to lowercase doesn't seem to help either). But for the life of me i can't get them to show through the basic folder structure. As i said smb picks them up just fine. I would just call it good and leave them as smb shares but i get about a 5-10 second delay when starting movies and slow opening of folders with lots of pics. I will get a debug log and post about this in the correct forum when i get a chance. Sorry for the threadjack. cheers.
SandmanCL Wrote:Topfs2: Did your latest fix make it into SVN ? I just compiled rev11627 from scratch and I still see my hidden files... Sad

Oh btw I don't need to append hide dot files = yes on my Ubuntu server but you might on fedora, like this:
Code:
[Movies]
path = /media/HD1/Movies
available = yes
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = no
[b]hide dot files = yes[/b]

don't forget to reload samba afterward. /etc/init.d/samba reload and maybe restart to.

@rand Al Thor
Are all the folders readable for all users and such?
Maybee try binding them in your home folder instead and see if XBMC has less hassle to see them there?
mount --bind /root/public/pictures /home/USER/Pictures/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCH] Hidden files through samba is hidden0