Intel GMA X3100 graphics hardware display problems on XBMC for Mac OS X
Ok, so I updated my MacBook to 10.5.2 tonight and then updated with the graphics update. I still get the purple screen, so that didn't do it. Here is the log file:

http://pastebin.com/m667410d3

So in doing some research, some people have determined that the driver for the X3100 was updated from Version 1.5.18 to 1.5.24. Someone was using a tool that gave them information about the driver and it says current: 1.2 Apple 1.5.24. Not sure what the 1.2 is all about... is that OpenGL 1.2? I just can't believe they are using OpenGL 1.2!? I wonder if they will "upgrade" the opengl when the macbook pro is refreshed... maybe the macbook would look too good?

I am really bummed about this if Apple is not fixing a problem they should fix... I want to buy more Macs but if this turns out to be the case...welll..
The same goes for me, still get pink screen even after applying the "Leopard graphics update": http://pastebin.com/m2947a774
Any improvement of the pink screen issue with Elan's latest build?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

I too am keen to know if this has resolved the issue prior to spending ~$3500AU on a modbook (modified macbook to tablet) to use primarily for osxbmc Smile

d4rk Wrote:Any improvement of the pink screen issue with Elan's latest build?
Ok... so now with the new build there is the hint of a picture... I have hosted a screenshot here:

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image...re1ka1.png

It is basically the same pink, with a some text (it was Heroes) and the ghost of an image...

I can't seem to find the logfile though... it doesn't appear where I was expecting...how odd...did something change in this build so there are no longer logfiles?
The log file is now in /var/tmp/xbmc.log

d4rk Wrote:The log file is now in /var/tmp/xbmc.log

Thanks! With that (and a little web search on how to use go to folder to open it in finder) I was able to get the log file:

http://pastebin.com/m3a888573
dailydisco Wrote:Ok... so now with the new build there is the hint of a picture... I have hosted a screenshot here:

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image...re1ka1.png

It is basically the same pink, with a some text (it was Heroes) and the ghost of an image...
Same goes for me, the video can now be seen playing behind the pink layer. You can hardly tell what's going on in the video but there clearly is movement behind the pink overlay. So you´re moving in the right direction :-)
My log file: http://pastebin.com/m5c4a9f4e
The logs look ok (to me), it's not obvious what's causing this pinkness. It looks like the shader isn't doing its job or not doing it right, which is weird because it works fine on the 950 and also works fine on the same chipset in Linux. I don't have an X3100 based Mac so I'm out of ideas, maybe if one of the devs has one, they can take a look.

Hopefully someone has one... heck, if there was a developer in the Boston area I would meet up at a coffee shop one day or something. Just to be sure, I didn't change much in the setup... set the resolution to desktop (same result)... left it at the default install rez... same result. The player is using "best available". Other than that, I have not done a thing. I didn't even try audio.

I have a bad feeling it is the driver...people have been complaining that the x3100 performance in opengl tests (benchmarks) is subpar...worse than the ol' 950.

Lets start a fund to get a macbook to a developer! Any takers?
checking in as well, sucks, cause i definitely dont know the first thing about OpenGL and driver issues. Heres to hoping.
I was somewhat encouraged when the latest build at least showed the hint of a picture. It may be something that only affects us new MacBook owners, but I can imagine that if they refresh the Mac Mini, they will use the X3100 as Apple seems to use similar guts in the MacBook as the Mini... they both had the 950 and similar processor until the refresh of the MacBook in November 2007. If that happens and Apple doesn't fix the driver issues or a developer doesn't find a way to get it working as it stands, then I bet many people's dreams of the mini as a Home Theatre will be dashed! I hope not, though, because I am down the road at getting a mini as and Xbox replacement for the living room and using it as my server too.

Anyway... If it can't be fixed without a developer using a newer MacBook, then I am serious about finding a way to get one in the hands of a developer...either in-person, via a fundraiser, or even using something like VNC. I just can't wait to use XBMC on the MacBook...it is killing me! Rolleyes

I seem to be having a string of mac bad luck... I just tried to upgrade to 4Gb and the memory I ordered from Ram4Mac gave me dreaded beeps at startup... now I need to see about return/exchange. Confused
I can create a user account for any developer on my macbook, install VNC and leave it plugged in and turned on over night or something if access to a x3100 equipped computer is the only thing stopping you. I'm in Sweden and based on the hours of your replies I'm guessing you live on the other side of the pond. Thus you should normally be awake while I sleep so the fact that I need the computer during the day should not be a problem.

I know enough to install whatever is needed to compile xbmc and open access to developers via ssh, but I don't have any knowledge of open gl or sdl so I won't be very helpful there I'm afraid.

Just note that I don't want to force you into fixing this problem. Me and many others would be very grateful if you (or another developer) have the time to fix it, but we all realize that you do this on your own spare time. So please consider this an offer and not a demand :-)
gusax Wrote:Just note that I don't want to force you into fixing this problem. Me and many others would be very grateful if you (or another developer) have the time to fix it, but we all realize that you do this on your own spare time. So please consider this an offer and not a demand :-)

Well said gusax... I don't want to be pushy on any developer... I am thankful for every line of code from you guys. I am new to Mac but have messed with Linux a bit and used to install the packages to compile XBMC there. My time zone (EST in the US) may not be as useful for some developers, but who know? I will look into VNC on the mac (I did it on the PC so I could access it from work) and SSH (never did that one, though) so if there is interest from one of the developers I could leave an account open while I am at work or at night or something. Gusax... would you mind sending me a PM with info on what packages you are installing if you decide to do this or if there is interest from a developer? I have a pretty good connection (Fiber optic) and could plug my Mac into my router to avoid issues with wireless slowdown.

I just wish I could code... darn Logo doesn't come in handy at all! I knew that moving the turtle around on that Apple IIe was a waste of time back in the early 80's! Laugh
XBMX.log from latest build (0.1.2): http://pastebin.com/m1c891354

Check highlighted lines starting at 481:
WARNING: Decode - avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet. size: 239, consumed: 9

I haven't seen this in any of the other logs posted.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel GMA X3100 graphics hardware display problems on XBMC for Mac OS X0