Starting XBMC with Apple Remote
Does anyone know if I can replace that Menu-button functionality on the Apple Remote so it starts XBMC instead of Front Row? Smile
You could accomplish this with a custom action with Remote Buddy, or a similar tool on OSX. I have setup remote buddy on my system to map all of the apple remote button options to items for use within XBMC, but I think it's also pretty easy to tell remote buddy to perform different actions based on which application is open at the time. You should be able to have the menu (hold) button open XBMC, and then use that same button for a different option (such as the esc keypress) once XBMC opens.

I hope this helps.
It should also be possible to replace frontrow.app (or whatever it's called) with xbmc.app. There are a couple of other media center plugins with instructions on how to do this.
bmfrosty Wrote:It should also be possible to replace frontrow.app (or whatever it's called) with xbmc.app. There are a couple of other media center plugins with instructions on how to do this.

Oh - good call! That would be a lot easier than the method I described.
I actually tried that, renaming Front Row.app and then renaming XBMC.app to Front Row.app, but Front Row was still started. Maybe I have to reboot after I do this?
Do have a link to any instructions on how to do this?
I replaced frontrow app with renamed xbmc app, also needed to change binarys name to Front Row inside bundle.(also kill front row if it's running) I got it launch with apple+esc and so on, but... launchd doesnt really get right exit signal from xbmc so it will lauch it again just after it exits. We need some kind of wrapper to this but I really don't know how lauchd works. For those who didnt really get couple of last lines, dont try this. It's annoying to try to rename binary file to something else than front row to get it not to launch. Also my main bar clock was frozen until I replaced xbmc-front row with original so we indeed need somekind of wrapper to this.
Anyone knows which remotes will be supported out of the box? Apple remote, wiimote, ps3, original xbox(would love that one...), MCE remote, Iphone/Touch/BrandX Bluetooth cellphone... ?

Timeframe?
/Starg4ze

---
Sorry to answer your question with another question, but I am curious if anyone has gotten the origianal xbox remote (with the little USB cable adapter) to work with OSX & XBMC?

Starg4ze Wrote:Anyone knows which remotes will be supported out of the box? Apple remote, wiimote, ps3, original xbox(would love that one...), MCE remote, Iphone/Touch/BrandX Bluetooth cellphone... ?

Timeframe?
@Starg4ze and fall-line, please respect that those question are off-topic in this specific topic-thread so please move that part of the discussion to this other topic thread => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=31006

Thanks for staying on-topic from now on.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Has there been any work done here? Does anyone have a good solution for starting up and closing out of Xbmc with the apple remote? I just tried the newest build and its working great. I have my UserData pointed at my living room's Xbmc so all my data and library is shared, its a great set up.

I'd like to have something that opens xbmc and then makes it full screen, so that i can still open the app manually and have it NON full screen.

If anyone has solved this let us know!

Thanks!
with remote buddy, it's possible in two click : "menu" and "play" but it costs you the price of remote buddy Big Grin (20 euros)
anyone who knows better should look into MediaCentral, as they have an option to use menu button for launching and killing the app instead of front row.
Not true, I found I liked Perian + Frontrow more than media central. I've been using XBMC since around 2005 and even the version that was out then was/is the best media player available. While one click opening of the program is nice it's the other features like DTS/AC3 support that really make it. If all you are worried about is how easy the program is to open you just don't get it.
No i think you miss understood me. No
i meant for anyone who knows better (in terms of coding and making sense of how apps work) should look at media central for reference to the starting using menu button.

mediacentral has been able to start using menu button since its debut i believe...so they must know something we dont know.

i personally hate mediacentral and i hate front row.
Nod i love osxbmc Nod
That makes much more sense! Sorry I though you were trying to get the person to use media central because it supports opening via apple remote. I've tried it in the past and it's not that great IMHO. I do think the interface is can be slick at times but if it was interface I wanted I would stick with Frontrow.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Starting XBMC with Apple Remote0