Can I use newer version of kodi while using 15.1 with mysql?
I've got 6 or so Fire TV boxes running Kodi 15.1. I use mysql for a centralized database that allows for watch flags and pause play. I remember something about having to use the same kodi version on all boxes that would share the mysql database.

I know have a raspberry pi 3 that I want to put Kodi on but the easiest way is to use noobs, openelec or osmc. They will all put a newer version of kodi which I believe is going to be a problem.

Question:

1. what is the newest version of kodi that will work with my 15.1 mysql setup?
2. if I have to install an OS on the pi then install 15.1 what OS should I use?

Thanks,

Roveer
Quote:1. what is the newest version of kodi that will work with my 15.1 mysql setup?
Newest version that will work = v15.1
Read here... http://kodi.wiki/view/Mysql
It would pay you to upgrade the Fire TV boxes first. Is there any reason you haven't?
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
You can't update to a newer version of Kodi on raspberry if you want to continue to use your current mysql 15.1. It's all or nothing (or use emby server instead)
I've no idea how you'd use noobs, but installing openelec via the normal method is straightforward.
IIRC...
Download file (img.gz).
Extract file to .img with eg 7zip
Use win32diskimager or equivalent to write file to sd card
Stick sd card in pi.
So if you go to here, download 'OpenELEC-RPi2.arm-6.0.3.img.gz' and install it on your pi you'll have kodi 15.1 that will play nicely with your mysql.

edit: I'm sure you'd also find an osmc build that runs 15.1 kicking about in their archive somewhere.
What will happen if you start updating one of your FireTV boxes to the current Kodi release v17.1?

- Kodi will create new databases in your MySQL instance: mymusic60 and myvideos107
- Kodi will migrate the contents of your older databases to the new ones

This will take a while, so do not kill Kodi as it might seem to hang after its first start right after the update!!

Kodi will not delete older databases which are required for your Kodi 15.1 devices, so in theory you could just test with one device while the others will continue to use the old databases.
But: they will now not longer be in synch!

So: update one device, let Kodi do its magic, test it, update the other devices and install the latest release (not master or nightlies as they will be Kodi 18 which for sure would also create new databases!) of OSMC or LibreELEC, point it to your MySQL instance and done.
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
(2017-05-04, 07:53)speedwell68 Wrote: It would pay you to upgrade the Fire TV boxes first. Is there any reason you haven't?

it works...

Beyond that I use a skin called "CCM Mod" to make my Kodi's look a very specific way so that my family is comfortable navigating the media. I don't believe "CCM Mod" is available for Kodi 17.
Here's what I've ended up doing.

I when back and looked at the openelec archive. I found posts saying that 6.0.2 had Pi3 support and has Kodi 15.2. I've installed that image and it seems to be working. I still have to configure it, but it loaded and ran kodi.

Kodi 15.2 System information says 2 cpu's but I know the pi3 has 4. But I loaded up openelec 8.x with the latest Kodi and it only showed 2 cpu's as well.

So am I losing anything here?

The reason I am hesitant to upgrade all the Kodi's in my house (all running on Fire TV's), is that I use a special skin "CCM" and mysql. I understand how I can upgrade the mysql if I bring everything up to latest kodi version but I don't think the CCM skin will work on latest kodi. That's something I have to look into. The only other reason for NOT upgrading is that everything has been working really well and I don't have a ton of time to chase problems in a newer version with whatever tweaks I may be using (the sking being the big one).

Roveer
(2017-05-04, 19:37)roveer Wrote: Kodi 15.2 System information says 2 cpu's but I know the pi3 has 4. But I loaded up openelec 8.x with the latest Kodi and it only showed 2 cpu's as well.

Where does System Information "say" you have 2 CPUs?

The System Information screen will show the dynamic load on each available CPU, but depending on skin and font size there may not be enough room to display all available CPUs, so maybe you're only seeing CPU0 and CPU1 (CPU2 and CPU3 are cut off)?

A screenshot would help clear this up.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2017-05-04, 19:37)roveer Wrote: The reason I am hesitant to upgrade all the Kodi's in my house (all running on Fire TV's), is that I use a special skin "CCM" and mysql. I understand how I can upgrade the mysql if I bring everything up to latest kodi version but I don't think the CCM skin will work on latest kodi.
Xonfluence is based on CCM and works on Jarvis / krypton (and hopefully beyond). Look in the confluence skins section.
(2017-05-04, 21:31)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-05-04, 19:37)roveer Wrote: The reason I am hesitant to upgrade all the Kodi's in my house (all running on Fire TV's), is that I use a special skin "CCM" and mysql. I understand how I can upgrade the mysql if I bring everything up to latest kodi version but I don't think the CCM skin will work on latest kodi.
Xonfluence is based on CCM and works on Jarvis / krypton (and hopefully beyond). Look in the confluence skins section.

I'll give that a look. I was doing some pretty funky stuff with CCM so I would be surprised it I found Xonfluence to give me everything I had. I will look though. Thanks for letting me know.
(2017-05-04, 20:39)Milhouse Wrote:
(2017-05-04, 19:37)roveer Wrote: Kodi 15.2 System information says 2 cpu's but I know the pi3 has 4. But I loaded up openelec 8.x with the latest Kodi and it only showed 2 cpu's as well.

The System Information screen will show the dynamic load on each available CPU, but depending on skin and font size there may not be enough room to display all available CPUs, so maybe you're only seeing CPU0 and CPU1 (CPU2 and CPU3 are cut off)?

I'll give it another look. I just saw a google image that was showing 4 cpu's. I'm pretty sure it was a pi3 as there was a lightning bolt in the upper right hand corner with is pi3's way of saying get a better power supply. I'll report back once I've looked at mine again. Maybe I fuzzed out, but I thought I only saw 2 cpu's listed. I'll look for "cut-off" as well. Thanks.
(2017-05-05, 00:00)roveer Wrote: I'll give that a look. I was doing some pretty funky stuff with CCM so I would be surprised it I found Xonfluence to give me everything I had. I will look though. Thanks for letting me know.
IIRC the last version CCM worked properly with (as in 'was designed for') was Helix. So you 'should' be using xonfluence with Isengard (15) anyway. At the time the settings were compatible, it was just a case of copying them across - I think if you look there's even a script in the xonfluence isengard thread to copy settings from ccm.
(2017-05-05, 00:08)roveer Wrote:
(2017-05-04, 20:39)Milhouse Wrote:

I'll give it another look. I just saw a google image that was showing 4 cpu's. I'm pretty sure it was a pi3 as there was a lightning bolt in the upper right hand corner with is pi3's way of saying get a better power supply. I'll report back once I've looked at mine again. Maybe I fuzzed out, but I thought I only saw 2 cpu's listed. I'll look for "cut-off" as well. Thanks.

I believe you are correct. Cut-off. It's showing cpu0, cpu1, cpu2 and then three dots ... So I'm assuming since it's showing 3 cpus that it's cutting off the 4th. Thanks for setting me straight.
(2017-05-04, 14:49)roveer Wrote:
(2017-05-04, 07:53)speedwell68 Wrote: It would pay you to upgrade the Fire TV boxes first. Is there any reason you haven't?

it works...

Beyond that I use a skin called "CCM Mod" to make my Kodi's look a very specific way so that my family is comfortable navigating the media. I don't believe "CCM Mod" is available for Kodi 17.

Kodi 17 works really well too, but are you going to be using 15.1 forever? I sympathise with the family thing, my lot hated Estuary so I went back to Confluence for them, but they have been warned that when Kodi 18 launches we will be changing to an Estuary based skin. Software, changing and evolving is a problem for some, as generally people fear change, but at the end of the day the world isn't going to stand still for them. You should have seen the fuss when my Uncle's new PC came with Windows Vista.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I use newer version of kodi while using 15.1 with mysql?0