What box - video AND hi-res audio?
Hi all,
Brand new here, so hope I'm not asking something that's been answered a millions time already (I did a quick search).
My current set-up is all my media is stored on general use PC, which is connected via ethernet through the house to the living room which has the TV and hi-fi system. I've been using PLEX on my Samsung TV (D8000 plasma) for years to play video files from the PC with mostly trouble-free operation until recently I'm getting constant buffering. Nothing in the system or network has changed, speeds all report as OK.
Music is streamed from the PC to a Logitech Squeezebox Touch, connected then to an external DAC > amplifier > speakers.

With the recent issues with PLEX and the Squeezebox starting to show it's age, what I'd like to do is get a foolproof box that will easily stream media in the same way; as an intermediate between my PC and TV/hi-fi. Easy right, hundreds of solutions out there.
The problem seems to be my need for a great music server. All android boxes limit output to 16bit/48kHz Sad As a MINIMUM I need the ability to play raw 24bit/192kHz FLAC, via USB output would be ideal but would settle for coaxial.
Even better would be the ability to play/stream DSD files!

I was set on the Xiaomi Mi Box but then read it had a (very) locked bootloader, so no chance to run LibreELEC on it (or anything else; volumio, jriver, etc).
Any obvious choices out there for what I want? HiMedia Q5 Pro (a wee bit pricey), something else?

No need for 3D video playback, no immediate need for 4K playback although it will definitely come in handy in a year or two. Netflix is not a current requirement, but again, would come in handy soon enough.
Vast majority of my video media is H264/mp4, but a few MKVs, too.

Cheers all, hopefully someone has a solution for me.
Did you even do ANY reading..... ?? ?? ??

In the obvious place ...... Wink

START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated May 2017)

an extract.....click the links.....read the Q10 Pro testing too... and then forget about Android if you are a really serious Audio guy.

Q. I need full HD Audio passthrough support including Multichannel (>2.0) PCM output of 24bit/192kHz FLAC ?
(NOTE: all devices using an Android OS have 16bit Multichannel (5.1) Audio output limitations)
24-bit 96 & 192kHz Stereo (2.0) Audio output (HDMI) is possible on the Shield running Nougat.
  • WeTek Hub / Play2 (LibreELEC)
  • ODROID C2 (LibreELEC)
  • Vero 4K (OSMC)
  • Various cheap AMLogic S905 devices running LibreELEC Kodi
  • Chromeboxes
  • Intel Hardware, inc. Macs running Windows
If you want external USB Audio DAC support the safest bet is Intel Hardware, otherwise you have to do VERY careful research with Android boxes and AMLogic LibreELEC devices to ensure a USB DAC actually works with the old Linux Kernels they are using.

** The RPi guys should chime in here about USB Audio support too..... **

I believe LibreELEC or Linux Kodi, on any platform will support decoding of pure DSD Audio, either to stereo or 5.1 Multichannel PCM.

EDIT Here you go a S905 LibreELEC Kodi & DSD64 - log extract (I only have a HDMI connected TV):

https://pastebin.com/ZUs7F3SX

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I did do some reading, hence why I knew Android boxes were limited to 16/48 audio output.
I did also read that 'START HERE...' post - as best I could follow (I may have misunderstood), all boxes that specified 24/192 audio output did so through HDMI only. No good for me as I don't have an A/V receiver. Audio would be going straight to external DAC, either via USB, optical or coaxial.
I've read stories here and there of people playing hi-res audio through USB/coaxial on cheap boxes (eg MXQ), but as you state in the START HERE thread, these boxes can be very hit-and-miss regarding consistency from one unit to the next.

The C2 I've read about a few times, but seems it could be a little too 'hands on' for me, in terms of getting it running 100%.
The WeTek Play2 is definitely an option at this stage.
Here is some further info regarding a compatible USB DAC with LibreELEC on a AMLogic S905 platform.
All LibreELEC S905 are using the same Linux Kernel so will also support the same external hardware and have the same limitations.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2557213

I believe the MINIX guys are using external DAC's with the U9 - you would have to specifically ask over in their actual forums which ones are compatible.

Keep your squeeze setup for music. Believe me.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Here is some detailed S/PDIF and USB DAC testing with AML S905(x) and LibreELEC Jarvis and Krypton with great results Smile

The test report of the audio output (stereo lossless files) on the latest Builds: 8.0.1 j (and 7.0.3.012 k)

Thanks wrxtasy, looks promising

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What box - video AND hi-res audio?0