Solved Kodi 17.3 won't install on windows 10
I have been trying to install kodi 17.3 on windows 10 upgrade from kodi 16. I get a error opening file for writing: C:\ Program Files (x86)Kodi\d3dcompiler_47.dll
Then it says abort or retry or cancel. I have updated all my drivers and tried to install 5 or 6 different downloads. I always get the same error.
Willing to try anything.

BuckT
Where are you installing from - Windows Store, downloading the Installer from this site or other?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
from this site
Can you ensure your original Kodi is shutdown. Then re-boot the computer, again making sure that Kodi is shutdown.

Some users that had this problem had left Kodi running in the background while they were trying to install the new version.

If that fails, make a Portable Install as detailed here http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable_mode This will either confirm or rule out issues with your current install or other.

If that works, then completely uninstall your existing v16 and reinstall. http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kod...lling_Kodi
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I have completely uninstall v16.
It first started by trying to install v 17.1.
I had tried to install v 17.1 but it didn't want to respond so I re-installed v16. Then a few days ago v16 did want to work so I have been trying to install v17.3 with the same error message error opening file for writing: C:\ Program Files (x86)Kodi\d3dcompiler_47.dll
I have completely uninstalled v16 now.
I have followed the HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Windows#Uninstalling_Kodi (wiki) and get the same error message.
hmmm...

Can you provide details of your hardware. I know windows10, but what version of windows10.
My Signature
Hi.

I got a similar problem while updating 17.2 to 17.3 in a Windows 7 64bits.

I had just started Windows. Then, Kodi was not running yet.

The installer said that it could not remove the kodi.exe file. I clicked Retry, but same error. I clicked Ignore and the installer continued until the end without any more errors.

Then, I run Kodi and it said that there was a 17.3 kodi update and please update it... I checked the version and it was 17.2!!

I reinstalled 17.3 and this time, the installer did not give any errors and Kodi 17.3 was successfully installed.

It was quite strange...

Enviado desde mi A0001 mediante Tapatalk
Because Kodi was not visible open and locked the files. it's so easy. just ctrl + alt + delelte -> Taskmanager -> search kodi in the list and right click -> force to close.
@skybird1980
In my case, Kodi was not running or run before. The PC had just started up, and I clicked on the installer.

Enviado desde mi A0001 mediante Tapatalk
BuckT - Did some very quick research on that .dll file and you might me lucky enough to get away with using CCleaner to fix any possible registry corruptions, at the very least something within Windows has gone belly up. Try CCleaner or manually downloading the .dll required to see if that fixes your issue, otherwise a fresh Windows install should sort your issue out.
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
Thanks for all your help. I finally installed v 17.3 by ignoring the files while installing the v 17.3. Then when it finished installing I re-booted my computer then re-installed v17.3 without any errors. After installing v17.3 for a second time it open properly then I updated the program and all seams to be working great.
Thanks for all your help again.
Go Kodi Go.
You can mark this post as resolved.

BuckT
Thread marked solved.
My Signature
Kodi 17.3 also not works properly in my window 10. Errors everywhere.
Re-installed Jarvis. Bravo, now all works beautifully as it should.
Not sure if I would try Krypton again unless my Jarvis is playing up.
I had Krypton working on my w10 pc first time right

Sent from my iPhone
Yep, me too.

I have Kodi on 2 x Win 10 home built computers. No problems.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.3 won't install on windows 100