• 5(current)
XBMC for Linux 2.1 SVN revision 12195 (potential alpha 1) available for testing
Thumbs Up 
Would it be possible to have the package create a desktop icon or menu item upon install? Also, would it be possible to provide a commandline for adding the repositories as not all folks may understand how to add them in the GUI. I've figured it out and am about to go spelunking for the binary but figured I'd try to save others the trouble :p

Thanks for the work on packaging this up!

Edit: Okay, I give up - where the darned binary? Sad Gah, ah ha! usr/share/xbmc!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Just type "xbmc" in after hiting ALT+F2.

I'll try to make the .desktop file but we need an icon to put there, any proposition ?
In the media directory there are a couple of splash files. Too large but at the proper size either would make an excellent launch icon. I like the oval shiny one myself Wink
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
wattazoum Wrote:I'll try to make the .desktop file but we need an icon to put there, any proposition ?
https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot...iginal.png
but best would be to make a new one from the PSD in the XBMC official logo package:
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfile..._id=234509
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
BLKMGK Wrote:Edit: Okay, I give up - where the darned binary? Sad Gah, ah ha! usr/share/xbmc!

This will list the contents of the package, including where each file is placed:

dpkg -L xbmc
dpkg -L xbmc-common
dpkg -L xbmc-skin-default
XBMC machine: ABIT AN-M2HD with nVidia 7050 onboard (Ubuntu Hardy + latest nVidia driver), AMD Athlon BE-2350, Microsoft MCE IR Remote, Logitech PS3 USB keyboard, 33w idle, 53w max, 720p plasma over HDMI
Here's a few quickies if ya want them. It's what i use in ubuntu and win SDL shortcuts. Something to use for now.
512x512 icon

256x256 icon
oups, I have already updated the XBMC package adding a .desktop file with another icon . But when I will have time I might use the one you've just posted.

FYI, I have uploaded the skins packages ( from yesterday use of xbmc skin manager ).

I have also uploaded the T3CH addons. But I just noticed a bug in the XBMCScripts python. If I try to get a script it will download the script into a Scripts directory but xbmc uses a scripts directory and on Linux, those directories are different (on Windows, they can mean the same location)
Just some feedback.

Great work on the xbmc PPA package. No problems with "apt-get install xbmc" on Ubuntu 7.10 running on an AppleTV using atv-bootloader.

480i/p mpeg2 decode/display is without problems and looks great even streaming from a mythbackend.

720p mpeg2 does not want to decode/display at all, just get a blip of audio, then XBMC hang. 720p mpeg2 should be possible without XvMC acceleration on the AppleTV, I've can do it with mplayer and mythfrontend. Any know issues with 720p mpeg2 decode/display under XBMC.

1080i mpeg2 does decode/display but getting audio stutter from maxing out the cpu. 1080i mpeg2 content, despite maxing the cpu, decode/displays surprisingly well for no XvMC acceleration.

I was not sure how XBMC treats file extensions so I just made the 720p/1080i have ".ts" file extensions.

Once again, great work.
Most excellent!! Ubuntu told me I had updates and bingo off it went! Found the launcher and copied it to my desktop with the -q option available. So now can test SVN versions and package versions. I might even try my hand at a symlink so both versions share the same userdata directory. Bad idea for testing?

TY for the update and the spiffy launcher - very nice!
Thumbs Up 
Install works ok on Xubuntu 7.10 Synaptic package install, Good job guys! Nod
Tried with 720p mkv's and it works better than before!, it used to crash when switching between movies but now it's more stable.
And i must say i'm amazed by the playback performance, i can play high bitrate 720p x264 on my 1,8Ghz Laptop with 32mb Ati X300 running Xubuntu, files that my main htpc rig is having problems with... ( p4 3GHz HT, geforce 6200 128mb, XP MCE and mymovies)
That's it, i'm installing ubuntu on my main htpc! Cool
I just installed using the PPA, and noticed that the log files aren't created due to permissions. I worked around it temporarily by creating the file with universal write permissions.
Code:
sudo touch /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.log
sudo chmod 666 /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.log
This, of course, does nothing for the xbmc.old.log, and I didn't want to give full permissions to the entire directory.
Well, the cleanest solution is to create the log files in /var/logs ( maybe a subdiretory xbmc also ? ) . This needs changing the code a bit. I wonder if the developers will accept it.

Anyway, on a linux system, it's usual to have the logs in /var/logs
AFAIK to log in /var/log the process has to be run as a system user or root. Best option would be to log in ~/.xbmc/ once that's implemented.
does this package not have wiimote support compiled in? I would love to test it out and help out with feedback but the wiimote is pretty much my only input device so its a must.

keep up the great work
That's right, you need to be a privileged user to put files in /var/log. Guess we add logs to the list of stuff to be moved to ~/.xbmc then.

As of 12195 I believe wiimote functionality needed to be explicitly compiled in, so it wouldn't have it. As I understand it, more recent builds support it natively via the new eventserver functionality.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Linux 2.1 SVN revision 12195 (potential alpha 1) available for testing2