• 8(current)
XBMC for Linux 2.1 SVN revision 12195 (potential alpha 1) available for testing
lingenfr_xbmc Wrote:I don't quite understand what he is providing. Is it a source package that must be compiled? A package for gutsy? If I add the deb repository and type

sudo apt-get install xbmc (or whatever)

what do I get?

You'll get xbmc installed with all it's dependencies.
Go to - https://help.ubuntu.com/7.10/add-applica...dding.html

Add this to the add source -
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ubuntu gutsy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ubuntu gutsy main

go to the synaptics manager and then install xbmc from there.
BLKMGK Wrote:Could we pretty please get VOB/IFO DVD rips to play properly before the next big build? They play in a little preview box right now so I've got to use my old XBOX for playback of my entire DVD library save the HD rips I've done.

BLKMGK,

I still cannot even get them to play in the little window you are talking about in Library mode with Stacking on, but if I go into file mode and open the file then click on the first VOB file with stacking off ofcourse, it plays full screen just fine back in library mode if I click on a movie it thinks about a little bit does nothing but I can look in the now playing section and the movie is listed there. I also have an issue - When I start XBMC everytime it scans the movie shares the dialogue box sayd downloading movie information. I have everyeverything turned off in video settings regarding library updates.

TV show Scraping has me baffled as well. If I try to scrape a new show, it will not give me a thumbnail (wide banner) for the show, but then in Library mode it gets all the season thumbs and episode thumbs if they are there, If I import the thums from an XBOX backup they will stay until I do a rescan in file mode and then they are gone. cleared the cache a couple times but no dice.

Regards,

Dave
rodercot Wrote:BLKMGK,

I still cannot even get them to play in the little window you are talking about in Library mode with Stacking on, but if I go into file mode and open the file then click on the first VOB file with stacking off ofcourse, it plays full screen just fine back in library mode if I click on a movie it thinks about a little bit does nothing but I can look in the now playing section and the movie is listed there. I also have an issue - When I start XBMC everytime it scans the movie shares the dialogue box sayd downloading movie information. I have everyeverything turned off in video settings regarding library updates.

TV show Scraping has me baffled as well. If I try to scrape a new show, it will not give me a thumbnail (wide banner) for the show, but then in Library mode it gets all the season thumbs and episode thumbs if they are there, If I import the thums from an XBOX backup they will stay until I do a rescan in file mode and then they are gone. cleared the cache a couple times but no dice.

Regards,

Dave

The behavior you are observing with VOB/IFO is exactly what I see. The little box issue occurs on some builds and not on others (from SVN) so code around the issue is certainly being modded it seems. I can play individual VOBs but hitting play at the top level folder for that DVD results in no visible playback or the small preview window. I also get the indication that playback is occurring if I look in Now Playing when I see no preview.

TV show scraping and Movie info appear to be working correctly for me. I've never set my system to autoscan though nor have I ever set it to update on start. Not sure what to tell you about that, anything in the logs?
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
BLKMGK Wrote:The behavior you are observing with VOB/IFO is exactly what I see. The little box issue occurs on some builds and not on others (from SVN) so code around the issue is certainly being modded it seems. I can play individual VOBs but hitting play at the top level folder for that DVD results in no visible playback or the small preview window. I also get the indication that playback is occurring if I look in Now Playing when I see no preview.

TV show scraping and Movie info appear to be working correctly for me. I've never set my system to autoscan though nor have I ever set it to update on start. Not sure what to tell you about that, anything in the logs?

Well I checked in the log it was pretty large. I have about 300 entries telling me that it cannot find MilkDrop in the directory that it is really In.

as for DVD, it loads libdvdnav and then libdvdcss for access then a debug CFileSMB:: Open on the movie directory with an fd= -1 at the end. Then it says cannot open that file Unix_err: '15' error : 'Is a directory' then it says libdvdread could not open smb file/video_ts with libdvdcss, libdvdread could not open file/video_ts for reading libdvdnav: vm: failed to open/read the DVD. error on dvdnav_open, input stream: error opening smb://location/movie/video_ts/video_ts.ifo.

I can post a full log at pastebin but it's huge. Reading through some other posts of errors, I notice the SQLlite error as well when tryin to compress the DB's as well a bunch of files it is trying to read and can't.

I am really wondering if there are certain permissions that are not correct. The other is with no encryption on our DVD's as they are ripped to VOB is the libdvdcss causing some issues or is libdvdnav and libdvdread dependent on it.

Regards,

Dave
Unfortunately it looks like my full logs expired off of Pastebin. <sigh> I'd be interested in seeing a log on your's and will try to get one on my machine as well but may not get to it tonight as the TV is "occupied" (lol) Does the log actually say "location" in the path? That doesn't sound right but maybe it's just how it spits out it's error instead of quoting the literal path Sad
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
BLKMGK Wrote:Unfortunately it looks like my full logs expired off of Pastebin. <sigh> I'd be interested in seeing a log on your's and will try to get one on my machine as well but may not get to it tonight as the TV is "occupied" (lol) Does the log actually say "location" in the path? That doesn't sound right but maybe it's just how it spits out it's error instead of quoting the literal path Sad

Here is a link to the DVD player only section error it includes from the start of the player loading until the player closes. If You want me to post the full log let me know. It is pretty large.

http://pastebin.com/m19fca23c

Regards,

Dave
Another unRAID user I see Wink What seems odd to me is that looking at your log it doesn't actually seem to have found anything at all to play and yet you find it in the Now Playing queue. Libdvdnav looks liek it MIGHT be the culprit. I will try to get a log of mine with the latest SVN and see how it differs.
The whole fd=-1 thing would imply a permissions issue or that the path that open sees is entirely bogus.
BLKMGK Wrote:Another unRAID user I see Wink What seems odd to me is that looking at your log it doesn't actually seem to have found anything at all to play and yet you find it in the Now Playing queue. Libdvdnav looks liek it MIGHT be the culprit. I will try to get a log of mine with the latest SVN and see how it differs.

I tried the newest build this evening and loaded that all from scratch, with the command line startup - exact same error. I am sure it has to do with permissions as well.

You know on the other issue of WMA music playback I had posted on another thread. I can play one album or sonf just fine and then scroll to the next item in the library and click play it gives me the playlist aborted too many consecutive errors. I look in the log and the error os with FFmpeg it says it cannot find the codec but it found for the song it played before.

I remember reading about something with SMB shares and setting something up locally on Ubuntu I did not do that if we have to. I just setup the shares in XBMC I also use a multi-path for my movies.

but one good thing in the newest svn I can get all my thumbs for my TV shows again, the only problem now is they do not stay in order when looking at them in the library where show #1 in Season 1 may now me show#10 in Season 1. Did something change with the naming scheme for TV shows.

I still use showname s0e0 - episode.avi and so on.

Keep on truckin'

Regards,

Dave
Well, in my case my NAS is configured with NO usernames or accounts - anyone can access it on my network via SMB. The XBOX, configured the same way, is able to access the NAS without issue for playback. The fact that the playback has occasionally occurred in a small preview would seem to suggest to me that it's not so much permissions as a pathing issue - yes? UNC naming shouldn't trip it up I'd hope as this was valid on the old XBOX. I wonder if a local copy of one of the DVD folders would play normally. If it did that might help narrow it down! BTW, does playing from a library vs playing from the file system act differently for you?

It does occur to me that the path in my case is ReadOnly, however since DVD media wouldn't be writable either I wouldn't think that writing would be occurring.

I may not be able to try this out much until the weekend but when I do I will try to also access the drive R/W to see if that matters and perhaps copy files local to see if that helps.

Not noticed a change with TV shows honestly but I've also not used the system to watch a TV show in about a week. This I can VNC in and check - I see the same thing you do but I also do not recall it being different recently. I agree a different sort would be better but this is usable at least. My names are much like your's but honestly there sure doesn't seem to be any standard naming convention! Do you recall at what version it changed?
My Tower does not have any permissions setup either and yes any of my xboxes can play any file on the server as well no issues. I can play a single VOB in full screen from the file mode view in the folder with stacking off of course.

I will try and setup a local share within Ubuntu and a local folder with a movie in it and see what happens.

The TV stuff I am sure will get worked out eventually it is more the movie stuff I am concerned about.

when I setup mplayer in Ubuntu which works well as well as Gzine player it installed it's own libdvd files and css2 would these be conflicting at all or does XBMC only use the linux dvd files included the build we are using currently.

Regards,

Dave
OK so currently I have my shares like so

Add source -

SMB Windows Network

multipath tower/disk1/movies1
tower/disk2/movies2 etc... to disk 9

I cannot click in file or library and get a ifo/vob file to play stacked or not.

I setup sharing in Ubuntu which did not seem to be installed

system-admin-shared folders.

The I added a new source in XBMC to test.

I set it up like this

Add Source

dvs-ubuntu - tower

Then that share I have disk1 through disk9

in file mode with no stacking I can go and click on the movie1 directory click on a movie and then on the IFO and it will play in the small window and tab to a fullscreen.

The other thing I noticed is that in my other method of sharing when I right click (mouse) on a title the selection would be Play Using and the another box would pop up and say DVDplayer Default. With this new method of sharing when I right click and from the context menu it say PLAY.

So for some reason XBMC is not seeing them as a movie or anything to playback with DVDplayer.

I also setup all of my shares as a connection in Ubuntu did not seem to make any difference either way.

Rgds,

Dave Scott
Have you tried adding them to the library and then playing them? I think you may find the behavior slightly different that way too. Also, when you can TAB to get them full screen is it smooth playback? When I've done that it's been pretty awful and jerky Sad
No Playback seemed very smooth until I hit ffwd or frev it gets hung up then if I click play it just boots out of xbmc.

I will try and clean the library and add them in again.

Regards

Dave
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Linux 2.1 SVN revision 12195 (potential alpha 1) available for testing2