Ubuntu 8.10 + dbus problems
Hello!

I currently have an XBMC-Linux setup which was runinng on an ubuntu-server (slimmed down) with xorg/gdm/nvidia-glx/restricted modules addons and a custom gdm session just fine.

After upgrading to 8.10 I got complaints about dbus-launcher and installed dbus-x11. Now I got that I had no .service file providing org.gnome.ScreenSaver (which should be quite irrelevant for xbmc?).

Anyhow, I crafted this .service file wtih a script exiting w return value 0, but nomatter what I try to return I get various error messages from dbus-launcher.

Trided to install the gnome-screensaver package without salvation.

I would like to refrain from installing a whole unused gnome environment.

I know this area is officially unsupported. :-)

Tips?

Regards,

Mikael
mhakali Wrote:Hello!

I currently have an XBMC-Linux setup which was runinng on an ubuntu-server (slimmed down) with xorg/gdm/nvidia-glx/restricted modules addons and a custom gdm session just fine.

After upgrading to 8.10 I got complaints about dbus-launcher and installed dbus-x11. Now I got that I had no .service file providing org.gnome.ScreenSaver (which should be quite irrelevant for xbmc?).

Anyhow, I crafted this .service file wtih a script exiting w return value 0, but nomatter what I try to return I get various error messages from dbus-launcher.

Trided to install the gnome-screensaver package without salvation.

I would like to refrain from installing a whole unused gnome environment.

I know this area is officially unsupported. :-)

Tips?

Regards,

Mikael

The .service files are just to be ignored, its a workaround for people that have the gnome screensaver (one that doesnt work anyways so it will be taken away quite soon)

Also the .service error is "safe" to get, you dont need to install the gnome screensaver for it.

The otherone Im unsure of, Havent gotten interpid working properly myself but Ill look into it.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Topfs2 Wrote:The .service files are just to be ignored, its a workaround for people that have the gnome screensaver (one that doesnt work anyways so it will be taken away quite soon)

Also the .service error is "safe" to get, you dont need to install the gnome screensaver for it.

Great. Then the fail is not due to this. :-)

Topfs2 Wrote:The otherone Im unsure of, Havent gotten interpid working properly myself but Ill look into it.

Thank you!

Now that I know that the org.gnome.ScreenSaver dbus error is not the issue I will dig deeper perhaps strace / gdb it and try to figure out what happens aswell. I presumed it was due to the previous error that it did in fact not start any more.

Will update this thread with any findings I make!

Regards,

Mikael
This was only a result of my foolishness. After upgrading to the nvidia-glx-177 package the GLX of the xserver broke.

After downgrading to stock 173.14.12 the installation once again works just fine.

:-)

Thank you for the help anyhow!

Regards,

Mikael
The 177.X drivers from nvidia.com works fine, however the 100% CPU bug is present nomatter if you turn vsync on or off. Just a side notice. :-)
... However the SMB streaming of video seems to cause a core dump of xbmc. Local videos and SMB streamed music seems to work fine ... </side note #2>
Seems to have solved the streaming problem with a "workaround"; disabling apparmor. This may be of some help for an updated apparmor profile for the future as ubuntu enforces it per default. :-)

Now I'm happy!
Did you ever get this problem completly solved?

I have installed U-lite, which basicly is a stripped down version of Hardy using Lxde as desktop envoirment. And I get this:
Code:
htpc@htpc:~$ xbmc
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Everything seems to work like it should, but it's still annoying to get a core dump every session. Sad

Any ideas how I can rid of that?
Thanks! Wink
Htpc 1: Intel E8400@3GHz : Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2 G33 : Nvidia 9400GT : Antec Fusion V2 : MCE Remote : Windows 7 64bit : Dharma : Confluence : 1920x1080
Htpc 2: Zotac Zbox HD-ID11 : MCE Remote : Windows 7 64bit : Dharma : Confluence : 1920x108
The dbus error has nothing to do with the coredump. Please pastebin the log from /var/tmp. You're probably missing the proper 3d support or your destop color depth is too low.
Aha ok, thanks! I just assumed they were connected. Here's the log:
http://pastebin.com/m52c7d075

The color depth is set to 24 and the nvidia driver is 169.12. And like I said, everything "seems" to work just fine.
Htpc 1: Intel E8400@3GHz : Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2 G33 : Nvidia 9400GT : Antec Fusion V2 : MCE Remote : Windows 7 64bit : Dharma : Confluence : 1920x1080
Htpc 2: Zotac Zbox HD-ID11 : MCE Remote : Windows 7 64bit : Dharma : Confluence : 1920x108
Going to need a stack trace as per first link in my signature.
Ok! I assume stacktrace is the same as backtrace, right?

This should hopefully be it then: http://pastebin.com/m4619252b

Thanks!

EDIT: I think something was messed up with my setup, I've just updated my bios and loaded the "fail safe default", and this problem is gone. All I get now is:
Code:
htpc@htpc:~$ xbmc
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files
CRITSEC[0x8bd2ea4]: Trying to enter destroyed section.
CRITSEC[0x8bd2ea4]: Trying to leave destroyed section.
htpc@htpc:~$

Sorry for wasting your time! :/
The CRITSEC messages are normal and not a real problem so long as you only get them on shutdown. We're well aware of them, and they could well have been causing the SEGV, but it's very rare and was likely something else with your setup as you've concluded.
Topfs2 Wrote:The .service files are just to be ignored, its a workaround for people that have the gnome screensaver (one that doesnt work anyways so it will be taken away quite soon)

The otherone Im unsure of, Havent gotten interpid working properly myself but Ill look into it.

Cheers,
Tobias

I can not agree. I had core dump with the same message and after installing gnome screensaver, it stopped to crash ....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 8.10 + dbus problems0