Wanted: Beta testers for video smartplaylists
Hi All,

I've been working on cleaning up the watched/unwatched stuff from the video library (essentially removing the button, though I haven't got that far quite yet) and have been adding smartplaylists for all types of video (episodes, shows, musicvideos + movies).

I'm at the point now where I need to do polish work and identify what works and what doesn't, and what can be done to make it better. In addition, I'm also after suggestions for how to make the UI for the whole videolibrary work more cohesively, though that will be done after the cleanup work is complete and it hits SVN trunk.

I'm thus after some beta testers to have a go with it and let me know what works, what doesn't, what needs improvement and so on.

Requirements are:
1. You need to be willing to test lots of different things, even if they don't interest you, essentially trying to break things as well as making sure *everything* is tested.
2. You need to be able to re-test within 24 hours of the fix being made.
3. If you break things, you need to be able to reproduce it and tell me how so that I can reproduce it.
4. You need to at least be able to run the win32 (directx) build of XBMC on your PC. Ideally, you need to be able to checkout and build from SVN as well, though I may be willing to supply builds if I don't get enough testers with this ability.

If you meet the above requirements and are willing to help me out, please let me know either by replying to this thread, or by PM'ing me.

For those of you not willing to commit to beta testing but want to try it out, you can check it out from SVN using this URL:

http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/...es/watched

Thanks
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks all for the fantastic feedback.

It is no wonder XBMC is as great as it is when we get this sort of superb support from the community.

Unfortunately due to the overwhelming number of replies, I haven't been able to get anything done as I've been rushed off my feet replying to everyone.

(Note: For the humour impaired, the above is known as sarcasm).

And ya'll wonder why we have a resident Grumpy Bastard Developer...

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I never replied as I've never complied under win32 and run exclusively under Linux. I'll see about compiling on win32 to give you some help out once i get a chance this week
The code for this is now in SVN, revision 13219.

You all now have no excuses whatsoever to test it all out and let me know what works, what doesn't, and what could be done better.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I've been testing it, and found some typos that broke some of the smartplaylist rules and the libraryviews for musicvideos. Patches are submitted to SourceForge, and I might submit another one for using smartplaylists as a rule in a few days. Wink

Great work by the way, Smile and from what I can tell it must have been a lot of work! :eek2: It's cool that I can now make smartplaylists to sort my movies and I'm looking forward to having playcount on musicvideos. Nod
Great - I shall look at the submitted patches and get them in. Thanks alot!

I was a little worried with musicvids, as it was the one section I didn't test well (due to not having enough dummy files Smile

You can already use smartplaylists as a rule (to nest playlists) or at least you are supposed to be able to Smile

Todos would involve listing only the relevant smartplaylists (such as tvshows + episodes) at certain levels in the hierachy if one wants and so on (helps also with the smartplaylist nesting). Something like smartplaylists://tvshows or something for the URL may be possible perhaps.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I've uploaded three more patches to SourceForge, with explanations of the problems they fix. Smile

There's also a problem that you can't sort for example musicvideo-smartplaylists by artist. The query ends with "ORDER BY never_use_this". I think this also applies to other fields and the other smartplaylist-types. I didn't bother making a patch for this since I'm not sure what you're supposed to be able to order by, but I think you should be able to order by artist in musicvideolists. Right now you can choose to order for example movielists by fields that only apply to songs-/albumlists when you use the gui to create a smartplaylist. Maybe you should change all the "never_use_this", so we can order by any valid field?
If anyone can supply me with a Win32 SDL build with the capability I am willing to test.
(Exe should be enough?)
I have never been able to run the Direct X build on my PC.
It's all in SVN (trunk + linuxport) so you can test away as and when you want.

I only see Mvids as an option in 13239 .
Then I presume it was merged later?
Actors are not listed alphabetically (making it a real PITA to find one)

If you start by naming your smart playlist, you will still get the name dialog when you want to save it.

Sort by episode title will sort by s0x.e0y.epname. (by design?)
So will sort by TV Show
The order clause in the playlist is supposed to fill the playlist sort order field, which it appears has been left out. EDIT: Taken care of.

The name dialog when you save it is intentional - it allows you to name it differently than what you save it as, should you want to.

Cool, maybe both filename and playlist name should be shown on the edit smart playlist dialog?
Also I can't seem to be able to have order ascending / descending work as I'd expect, but maybe it will be fixed in your order changes.
Order will be affected by the sort order within the window you are in. Set the sort order to "Playlist" to use whatever you specified within the playlist.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Of course... cheers.
It looks like all the important issues I brought up have been addressed.
Except mabe the sorting order of browseable items (actors, directors, genre etc.)

For me all movie genres and some actors are duplicated when browsed, but not in the movie nodes. Any idea what gives?
(The same are not duplicated when I check the db in SQLiteSpy)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wanted: Beta testers for video smartplaylists0