What do i need?
Howdy boys and girls

Been lurking around a couple of days and reading my butt off.
Since the posts concerning software minimums are a little bit dated i was wondering: What is the absolute minimum software i need?
Ive installed using ubuntu 7.10 desktop and then apt-get install xbmc and it works. But i dont think i need a complete ubuntu-installation with all the rest off the programs and stuff layin around.
Can i go with the ubuntu 7.10 server dist and the apt-get xbmc and it will install everythin i need? Or do i need a complete desktop enviroment?

Sorry about the spelling, i have no excuse Eek
I'm running 7.10 server as well... You will have to install x-window-system but no desktop environment.. you will then have to write some scripts to start an x session and xbmc.. I posted mine awhile back, so just search the forums.
Hey rrambo!
I have limited experience with linux witch makes it complicated following your guide.
You say in your post "base install of 7.10 server with x-window-system, ssh, lirc, envy and xbmc/dependencies".
Is it just as simple as [apt-get install x-window-system] etc on all the software i need ?
kapten79 Wrote:Hey rrambo!
I have limited experience with linux witch makes it complicated following your guide.
You say in your post "base install of 7.10 server with x-window-system, ssh, lirc, envy and xbmc/dependencies".
Is it just as simple as [apt-get install x-window-system] etc on all the software i need ?
Yes, sudo apt-get install for everything except envy.. Google ubuntu envy and download the .deb package from the devs website then follow instructions to run..
Awesome
Ill take notes while i try it in case anybody wants like a small guide or something...
Maby someone is as lost as me =)
Son of a bird-scene!
Using ubuntu server 7.10 with minimal software installed didnt help my problem during playback of 720p/x264. Content that plays perfect using winxp+mediaportal, which leads me to believe its a software-problem and not related to my hardware.
My problem looks like this ( but not so noticeable during playback as in screenshots) :

http://www.onlinecenter.nu/?913903080421171832
http://www.onlinecenter.nu/?598680080421172312

Hardware: amd x2 4800+ 2 gig ram and ati x1300
Software installed: ubuntu server 7.10, ssh, lirc, x-window-system, and the latest ati-drivers using envy.

Is there a secret package needed to be able to play 720p/x264 flawlessly ?
don't know dude.. my setup isn't nearly as powerful as yours.. only a sempron 3000+ and 1gb ram... i can play 720p/x264.. so I'd lean towards the ati card even though it's the cpu doing the heavy load.. my video card is nvidia 6150
I can play the files... but not flawless. I want flawless playback. Ill try and borrow my friends nvidia-card this weekend and check it out. In case i need a better card, well thats an easy fix. Had my eye on this: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.as...6814122037
ever since i heard ati sucked in xbmc-setups.
Thanx for your help rrambo!
kapten79 Wrote:Son of a bird-scene!
Using ubuntu server 7.10 with minimal software installed didnt help my problem during playback of 720p/x264. Content that plays perfect using winxp+mediaportal, which leads me to believe its a software-problem and not related to my hardware.
My problem looks like this ( but not so noticeable during playback as in screenshots) :

http://www.onlinecenter.nu/?913903080421171832
http://www.onlinecenter.nu/?598680080421172312

Hardware: amd x2 4800+ 2 gig ram and ati x1300
Software installed: ubuntu server 7.10, ssh, lirc, x-window-system, and the latest ati-drivers using envy.

Is there a secret package needed to be able to play 720p/x264 flawlessly ?
It looks to me like turning on V-blank might fix that issue.
Heh, a Criminal Minds fan! Certainly try the vert-blank. If that doesn't do it try the NVIDIA card and use ENVY to get the very latest drivers - Ubuntu 7.10 uses old drivers that NVIDIA won't support Sad
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Of course im a Criminal Minds fan !
Just one question, do i turn on v-blanc in my xorg.conf or in xbmc or what ?
Just checked, v-blanc: Always Enabled in xbmc
Dang it.
The one in menu isn't really working if I got my information straight.
Try altering in nvidia-settings instead. it doesn't look like usual tearing but you might have some look with vsync

GL
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
nvidia-settings on an ati-card... doesnt sound right Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What do i need?0