Pi 3 and LibreElec restart
Exclamation 
Hey, I'm a Pi newbie, and I just got my Pi 3 few days ago. I set up LibreElec and everythig works great, for the most part.
I encountered sudden crashes and restarts while trying to play multimedia files. This sometimes happens when try to play YouTube videos, and almost always when trying to play music from Spotify.

At first, I though this was an microSD corruption issue, however, i replaced the card, reinstalled LibreElec but the issue is still present.
As for the power supply, I'm using my phone charger 5V 2.4A (I know 2.5 is recommended, but I didn't get the lightning bolt icon, so I'm assuming that my PSU isn't the problem).

Here's my log file, I recently deleted it and recreated the issue while trying to play music from Spotify.

(log removed due to the presence of banned repo: enen92)
You are a newbie but you already got crap installed.
Please read https://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_ru...ed_add-ons
You have banned repositories and addons installed.
You will not get any support here while you have pirate stuff installed.
Please use the forum thread for the spotify addon. Please also remove any banned addons/repository if you want assistance on the forum.
Your post has been edited (log link removed).

Regards
Did a hard reset, all problematic addons should be gone now.

I also noticed that this problem occurs when trying to install addons, or sometimes while trying to play  YouTube videos, so it's not only Spotify related.
Here's the new log:

https://pastebin.com/6DBUhUVR
(2018-03-25, 19:04)newbie1167 Wrote: I also noticed that this problem occurs when trying to install addons
Maybe you are now referring to those addons you just ditched.
Normally, installing official addons is no problem at all.

Also, at which point in your log did the RPi restart?
Please also submit the kodi.old.log file, as there may be no indicators in the new log.
Gut feeling, it is the power supply.  In my experience phone chargers never give out what they say they do.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
This problem occurred while trying to install Spotify addon. It seems that it occurs randomly. Spotify was the first addon that I installed after the hard reset, and the crashed occurred.

I'm also leaning towards the power supply. I already tried several other phone chargers, although they are ~2A and the issue occurred as well. I might have to purchase a 3A charger, and hopefully that will fix the issue.
The 2 Amp level is peak level as standalone, not when additional USB hardware is plugged in. The RPi3B+ went up to 6 amps peak with hardware connected.

But, your adapter could also have stability problems besides the possible lack in grunt.
I have max 2.4A on my charger, so my guess is that the amperage fluctuates or something. I don't plan on using any USB hardware (except a USB flash drive now and then), so I'm guessing that 3A should suffice.
Somebody asked for my kodi.old.log.

Here it is:
https://pastebin.com/cfH1f367
Got a new power supply, same issue occurs. Sad
I forgot to mention that my original charger (the one I got with Pi) broke down when I tried to connect it to the power outlet.

When I first got my Pi I got a cheap phone adapter with it. It said 3A and 5V on the charger. I tested my Pi3 for a couple of minutes, set the WiFi and Bluetooth and I turned it off. When I tried to turn it back on, I heard the pop sound from the phone charger.

The device wasn't booting at all. I connected it to my current phone charger and everything started working again, minus the issue mentioned in this thread.
Is is possible that a bad charger damaged my Pi, and that caused the issue with restarting?

What should I do next, should I try to overclock or underclock my Pi?
A default, untouched LibreELEC installation should run with no errors. No under- or overclocking required. Play a local video and see what happens. Start with that 'baseline' and simply take the next steps one by one.

Try a different SD card, those can cause troubles too, although they don't do that as much as they used to do.
I haven't tried with local videos so far, I'll add couple of videos to a flash drive and see how it goes.
My frist suspect was a the SD card, the one bundled with my Pi seemed kinda cheap, but it passed all tests on my PC. I used the SD card from my phone, installed just Spotify and the issue reappeared, so I'm pretty sure that the card isn't the problem.

I'll do some testing with local videos and get back to you.
I'd stay away from phone chargers, the majority of them are rather low quality (bad voltage regulation). If in doubt go for the official 5.1V 2.5V power supply, this is known to work fine.

If you heard a pop from the charger it's certainly possible that the charger died and killed or damaged the RPi as well.

so long,

Hias
The old charger definitely popped, tried to charge other devices and nothing happens. I just hope my Pi isn't damaged. I mean, everything works, boots normally, I just have this weird issue with restart that occurs sometimes. I'll try to see if it happens with local files.
Ssh into LibreELEC and run "vcgencmd get_throttled".

If everything is OK you should get "0x0". If you get "0x50005" or "0x50000" the power supply isn't doing it's job well and is dropping voltage under load.

See this post for more details: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...50#p972790

so long,

Hias

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pi 3 and LibreElec restart0