Poll: Most logical use of DVD-remote SKIP-/+ for video? - remapping of default(CVS) keymap.xml
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Skip 10% backwards/forward on DPAD up/down (as now)
0%
or change skip 10% backwards/forward to SKIP-/SKIP+
0%
Total
0 vote(s)
0%
* You voted for this item.

Most logical use of DVD-remote SKIP-/+ for video?
Sad 
before you vote please read this and think of your fellow xbmc users and beginners, what would be most instinctive for them, tia;

i would like to remap one small thing in the default keymap.xml in the cvs before 1.0 but got some friction so starting this public poll,
(note that this only consern the "dvd-remote" and video playback, this poll has nothing to do with gamepad or music playback):

currently 'jump 10% backwards/forward' (named "big step" in keymap.xml) is mapped to the up/down bottons on the dvd-remote, and on skip-/skip+ the previous/next item in playlist (if playlist exist) is mapped. now i would like to switch those around as i think that is more logical and instinctive, my argument is that since skip-/skip+ is already used to jump between chapters on dvd's (ms-dash) (and will deffinitly also be mapped the same for dvd's once xbmc get full support for it, also chapters support for ogm/mkv will be mapped so once added) and since jumping 10% backwards/forward is similar to jumping a chapter it would logical to keep both on skip-/skip+, (even though technicaly jumping a chapter would be something more like %5 or ~6 minutes).

note that currently when you start a movie without creating a playlist (which if you're like me always do) the skip-/skip+ is not even used during video playback, as it's currently only used when and if you start a video playlist as then it's used to jump to next video/movie. i also think that moving this 'previous/next item in playlist' would be more logical to have on the dvd-remotes dpad up/down as if you visualize a playlist in your mind (or even on screen in xbmc) it does from top to bottom thus you would think that pressing down for the next item in the playlist would be instinctive for most users of xbmc.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i think it's fine the way it is currently, with big and small steps close together on the dpad (when you want to seek to a specific location you will use big steps and then small steps, this would be a bit cumbersome if you had to use the skip+ button and then the right arrow). i also don't see any problem with using skip+ for both dvd chapters (when they are implemented) and for skipping to the next file (a dvd with chapters will rarely be part of a playlist). but it's a matter of opinion...
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
i really do preffer the current method of using the up and down arrows on the remote.

the up down buttons have many advatatges:

they are much bigger more ergonomically designed(right where my thumb naturally rests on the remote control.

all of those advandages are the key to most important advantage of all. i can skip forward in a movie without taking my eyes off of the television, and i have never made a mistake.

when using the skip+/- in ms's dvd player or other dvd players i have had many experiences of accedently hitting the skip+/- by when i really wanted to hit the ff/rw. and then it's a real bitch to get back to place i wanted.

i agree with you that it is more intuitive when you are new to use the skip +/-. but the up down right and left is so much easier. i have set up 2 xbox's in parents house and they are very hard to train when it comes to technology, and at first they were confused about the up/down. but now they love it especially after someone made that sweet pdfkey map. they use to call me all the time with questions but i have not recieved one since. one other bonus of the up/down buttons is that my 4 year old baby sister can even use it to skip around her favorite disney movies. she was so proud, last time i visited to show me her favorite scene's(over and over) lol. please keep it the same.

thanks!
Star 
(djlink @ may 04 2004,15:31 Wrote:i agree with you that it is more intuitive when you are new to use the skip +/-.
i think this is the main point here, remember that we want to appeal to the masses, and not only to the "power-users",
power-users who by the way are the ones that are no afraid of changing keymap.xml by themselves to their preferences
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
it's not exactly a steep learning curve to get used to pressing right instead of skip+ after one unsuccessful try, and it's definitely more ergonomic in the long run...
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
i prefer the current method.

it is easy to scan through with the left/right arrows and if you need to go faster you just move your thumb to the up/down arrows quickly. this gives very easy control.
i must agree that the d-pad is the one i use alot and it is imo the best keymap for it. you dont even have to look @ controller when you use d-pad.
i figure having a playlist set is akin to having a set of chapters anyway.

if you had items in the playlist which actually had the concept of chapters, then you would want the skip forward button to skip chapters until the end of the current file, and then skip to the next file. same with the skip backward button, it should skip to the last chapter in the previous file if you move back too far. (i've seen dvds do this too on my real dvd player, when you roll off the end of one title some dvds hop to the next title, assuming there are multiple.)

and then, regardless of whether chapters exist or not, up/down should always skip 10%. although i must say i'm somewhat fond of mplayer's original rule of skipping exactly 10 seconds for short skips and exactly one minute for long ones.

that's the way which intuitively sits well in my head.
in my config i've set it up so skip+/- makes the small steps and left/right make the big steps.
it actually works out kinda well as for skipping the buttons are (if you can work out this lovley diagram):
<< >>
- +
<- ->
so it's reasonably user-friendly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Most logical use of DVD-remote SKIP-/+ for video?0