v17 Kodi 17.6 Wont start
Hi, i have installed kodi 17.6 on a windows 2016 server and when try to start nothing happends, i klick on the kodi.exe and nothing, i trying command window and it is the same, n information of error, added debug log information to advancedsettings.xml but it seems the kodi do not even try to start and i donot find any log to diagnose the problem.

How could i fnd out what cousing this?

//Kent

PS. Excuse my bad english but it is not my native language :-)
Hello @Poler

For now I will assume that Kodi has been correctly installed.

Which version did you install and did you install from the Microsoft Store or did you download the Installer file from here?

Try and follow this guide to create the Debug Log... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=323719
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hi and thanks for a quick answer.

I using the latest installer from this site 17.6 for windows right now but i have trying betas and older versions without success, i have trying to follow the steps for  advanced debugging but i could not find "C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata" but i found it in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\Userdata", i follow the guide and created this file and trying to start but nothing, no log anywhere, searched all of C:\ for this log, i think kodi.exe not even try to start, it stops after one sec or something. I have kodi installed several years without problems so this is wierd.

//Kent
(2018-07-03, 06:43)Poler Wrote: C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\Userdata
No that is the wrong folder.

(2018-07-03, 06:43)Poler Wrote: C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata
Your User Name is the name that you login with.

Another way to get there...
1. Press the start button in the bottom left of your screen.
2. Type %appdata%
3. Then navigate to \Kodi\userdata and place the advancedsettings.xml file there with the other .xml files in that folder.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hi, yes, i searched in my user folder, i have only two, one for administrator account and one for my user account "Removed" and there is no kodi folder there, i used your advice on using %appdata% in start and it put me in my administrator account i use right now but no kodi folder.

//Kent
That is strange. Sounds like a corrupted install.

Can you try installing again.
My Signature
Hi, i removed and reinstalled again without any improvements, i got a feeling that kodi things it is not a valid system to run on, i do not remember now witch program but i was trying another program and it stopped and say that it will not install on a Windows XP or Vista system??, my question is, is it possible to install Kodi 17.6 on a Vista but not run it?, what happen when you try to start kodi.exe? it is only a wierd thought i have.

//Kent
To run Kodi on Windows XP, you need to use v12 or earlier. They are no longer available from us. Support for XP ended in 2014.

v17 will be the last version to work on Vista.

It is not clear which system your are trying to install on- XP or Vista, but they are your options above.
My Signature
(2018-07-03, 09:05)Poler Wrote: i got a feeling that kodi things it is not a valid system to run on, i do not remember now witch program but i was trying another program and it stopped and say that it will not install on a Windows XP or Vista system??
Depending on the hardware specifications, it's perhaps easier to use LibreELEC on that old PC machine, if you want to only run Kodi on it.
(2018-07-03, 09:15)Klojum Wrote:
(2018-07-03, 09:05)Poler Wrote: i got a feeling that kodi things it is not a valid system to run on, i do not remember now witch program but i was trying another program and it stopped and say that it will not install on a Windows XP or Vista system??
Depending on the hardware specifications, it's perhaps easier to use LibreELEC on that old PC machine, if you want to only run Kodi on it. 
I am not verry good at explaining this, i have good hardware "Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)" but one program i try to install was complaining that it do not install on a Windows XP or Vista system but i have WMicrosoft Windows Server 2016 Essentials but that program thinking that i have an XP and i thinking if kodi could think the same? how could i check that?
Your Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU machine has an on-board Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU if I'm correct. I assume you have no discrete Nvidia/AMD card installed, otherwise please inform us.

In any way, that CPU/GPU combo is so new to begin with, it might be simply "out of reach" for Windows XP/Vista to begin with. Why would you want to fiddle with such an old and insecure operating system anyways? If you need to run Kodi on a free-of-charge OS, install something like Ubuntu Linux. There may be a bit of a learning curve there, but it is so much better than your prehistoric WinXP or Vista.

Microsoft Windows Server 2016: not really my field of expertise. I use Linux for 99.9% of my computer needs. Smile

If you are trying to install Kodi on your Windows Server 2016 machine.... Why would you do that? Kodi is a CLIENT application, a server should only do what it does best: serving files as well as services for printing, networking, etcetera.

But perhaps I don't have the full extend of your network/setup clear in my mind.
A Server version of Windows is more likely to be locked down so only certain users have privileges to run things, you may have to run Kodi an an administrator.
(2018-07-04, 12:20)jjd-uk Wrote: A Server version of Windows is more likely to be locked down so only certain users have privileges to run things, you may have to run Kodi an an administrator.
 Yes that is truu but i in administratour account right now and when klick on kodi icon nothing happends, nothing at all, reinstalled atleast 20 times, i have trying old versions to and the only that start is XBMC V12.3 :-) but i want the latest, my guess is that kodi do not have all conditions that would allow to start, the most strange things is that usaly programs protest in some manner but not now, if i try on my Windows 10 it works perfekt, if i move kode.exe it complains over missing dlls and so on but not on the server but i am quite sure that it have workt sometime, i think something is missing that kodi need to start.

Is there anny list of terms for it to work that i could check?
Have you tried right clicking on the Kodi exe file then selecting run as administrator.
(2018-07-04, 15:08)jjd-uk Wrote: Have you tried right clicking on the Kodi exe file then selecting run as administrator.
 Yes, still nothing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.6 Wont start0