Issues with picture quality (BTW, WTW)
Hello!! sorry in advance but english is not my first language!

So im running KODi on a laptop and using it to watch movies on a television via HDMI.
Notebook (KODI 17.6) >> HDMI >>Television
Notebook : NItro AN515-51 gpu HD intel 620 integrated (im pretty sure HDMI output uses the intel gpu), dedicate gtx 1050ti, windows 10.
Television: philips 42pfl7803d (This is a 10+ year old TV)

So i just heard about AVS HD 709 calibration tool and wanted to use it to get the best picture quality on my TV.
My level of knowledge on this subject is pretty low so im using this page as reference: https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_levels_and_color_space
So according to the wiki, setting KODI to limited, gpu output to full and TV to limited is the best way to calibrate cause there is no Wtw or BTB clipping.
I can attest that when increasing brightness on my TV i can see all black barrs flashing on the black clipping pattern test from AVS HD 709.
Decreasing brightness correctly i can adjust The BLACK level so just 17-25 flash.
THe problem comes when trying to adjust the White clipping. NO matter how high i set contrast, im not able to make white bars higher than 240 stop flashing.
Am i doing something wrong? I have tried to change some KODI settings like DXVA2 acceleration and got the same results.
Just to note, my TV is pretty old and doesnt have any kind of settings option about LIMITED or FULL rgb so i assume it stays Limited color space.
I have also tried set KODI to full RGB, but the problem persist. What is the best settings for my setup?

​​​​​​​debug log: http://paste.kodi.tv/libokoqefo
some tv's are different. I have seen people say that they can turn the knobs all the way up or down with no change in flash. What you want to check for in this case is the change in color on white. If you turn it up too high the white can turn into a pinkish color. Hope this helps
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-displ...-clip.html

Here is a link talking about the subject as well. If you have your tv set to a certain mode this may also affect the contrast. You can try changing from movie mode, if that's what you have it set on and look at standard mode and that should give you the discoloration I'm talking about. Again, hope that hopes. Glad to see you are taking the plunge.
THanks for the answer!!
Changing the SMART mode of my TV didnt changed anytthing.
It seems that with my TV i will never be able to change the flash behavior of the white bars. So i just set contrast to maximum (didnt see any pinkish color).
About the black test i have set my brightness to 35 ( maximum of 100).
The thing is i have watched so many movies with my previous settings that i cant say the new one is better or worse    Big Grin Big Grin
I need to adjust my eyes for the new settings, its clear more dark, but in the end i think its better the way it is.
THis is too much confusing for me  Smile Smile
But it was worth reading about the subject cause i learned that the tiny black pixels i saw in many movies was due to sharpness been too high. Now im having a more clear image.
You really don't want contrast at maximum. You need to go through all the settings you have and try to find one that will give you a clear reading on what you need to set it to, then you need to go back to brightness and adjust both of them until there is a fine medium between the 2. Just imagine the 2 as the bright and the dark of what you're watching. A wrong setting on 1 will affect the other.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issues with picture quality (BTW, WTW)0