install 32bit on 64bit AMD system ?
how can i get a 32bit version to install (pref easy install .deb package or throu the manager) on my 64bit version of ubuntu ? and ofc i want it to work aswell Nod
Oh and iam running Ubuntu 8.04 hardy sorry forgot to say that
I think there's a 64bit deb of xbmc, but don't hold me to that.

For a 32bit in a 64bit environment it's possible, but not plug in play (which by the sounds of it is what you're looking for). I wouldn't recommend this if you're not comfortable.

You'll basically have to setup a 32bit chroot and install xbmc in there. I don't remember the steps off hand, but there's a bunch of howtos out there on how to set it up. I remember it being pretty popular for installing a 32bit firefox on an amd64 distro to get flash support.

I know you'll need this.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/libs/ia32-libs

I've gotten this to work for other apps, but there's no guarantee that it'll work for xbmc.
return null;
xgrep Wrote:I think there's a 64bit deb of xbmc, but don't hold me to that.

Well, There must be someone somewhere who created a 64bit package but it's not officially supported. The reason is simple :
1. I don't have a 64 to test the package (and even to create it)
2. There is some dependencies that are missing in the ubuntu 64 repositories Huh
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Want a clean no-ads paste bin? http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/
yeah one would think so that there would be a 64bit package. Dosent intell Dualcore and Cuadcore system also run 64bit ubuntu ?. So all new system should be running 64bit right ?. Maby i should jus switch to 32bit
There aren't many advantages to running a 64bit OS. It's slightly faster, and you can access more memory, but the incompatibilities are a real issue. Run 32bit, particularly for a dedicated HTPC.
TrocaNiklas: I think I saw a post about an alpha version recently. You can search that thread or maybe somebody can point you at it. In it somebody mentioned a simple command that would figure out the 32-bit deps and install them automatically. Or you could build from svn. I haven't built all of the libraries yet, but maybe some day. It would help if I had people submitting patches or instructions.

wattazoum: if you download gcc-multilib you can compile for 64-bit systems on a 32-bit system by passing the -m64 flag to gcc. I do this with distcc to distribute compilation to my 32-bit system. Or you could point me at the script used to create the package and I can whip one up under the condition that it's incomplete and unsupported (I'm sorry, but I'm just one person, and the only dev with a 64-bit system apparently). The more who use it, the more deps I'll get compiled.

rodalpho: And let the eight extra registers go to waste? No way!
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I found that the image viewer in XBMC does not work for me on my AMD64 Gutsy. When running 32-bit Gutsy it works, so it seems the images are handled by XBMC. A little bit strange, since listening to mp3 and watching movies work. I installed it by downloading the i386 deb's from http://ppa.launchpad.net and then run "getlibs /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin" I tried uninstalling libsdl1.2 libsdl-gfx1.2 libsdl-image1.2 and ia32-libs and then ran getlibs /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin again and it downloaded a lot of libraries, but then got stuck on libX11.so.6: captury and when running xbmc it says "error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". In /usr/lib I have
1,1M -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1,1M 2007-10-05 02:08 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6.2.0
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 2008-04-08 17:40 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 -> libX11.so.6.2.0
so I do not know why it says "No such file", but it might be wrong architecture or something like that.
After letting aptitude install all missing libraries to fulfill the dependencies again, I am back to square one where xbmc works, except image viewer. No previews in the image folders either. Anybody knows what libraries are needed for the image viewer and if there is something I can try to (re)install to get it working?
BTW, my computer is an AMD64 Athlon x2 , but I am running a 32bit system for the reason rodalpho mentioned : Compatibility issues and some missing software and drivers.
On another hand, when I bought this computer there was Vista on it which was 32bit, so I had no remorse putting an Ubuntu 32 on it .

wattazoum Wrote:BTW, my computer is an AMD64 Athlon x2 , but I am running a 32bit system for the reason rodalpho mentioned : Compatibility issues and some missing software and drivers.
On another hand, when I bought this computer there was Vista on it which was 32bit, so I had no remorse putting an Ubuntu 32 on it .

I agree on that, usually it is probably easiest to run Ubuntu 32, but unfortunately my computer is not a dedicated htpc, but also acts as a workstation with a closed source commercial application that is only available in 64-bit versions when running on the AMD64 platform, so that's why I am trying to get all applications working on Ubuntu 64, and so far getlibs works for most applications. A working Java for internet banks is a problem, but Ubuntu 32 in WMWare solved that.
i gues i will install ubuntu 32bit system later then just a pain in the @@@ sens i had major problems getting my Broadcom wireless to work and then i have to redo it all after a installation Sad. Hopfully more and more stuff will be 64bit soon.....
I set up a 32 bit chroot now and XBMC works fine. Was not much trouble, just followed this guide: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebootstrapChroot and everything worked just out of the box.
TrocaNiklas : don't reinstall your system because of XBMC , not yet . I am trying to do a 64bit package. so just be patient.

I don't want XBMC to be the reason anyone has to reinstall a whole system.

Somebody's gotta make the jump to 64-bit systems or I'll never get bug reports and never fix anything. I don't have a diverse enough library to test the different functions of XBMC, so I pretty much need people to say "hey, this file doesn't work (link), it needs this library built." Then I can download the file, build the library, and everyone can be happy. One thing that may be difficult is using win32 dlls with XBMC. There are possibly ways around this though.
wattazoum <3 you are a hero ill wait some more np <3

I just love XBMC so much i have 4 xboxes thats running it only thing iam missing is HD playback Smile anyway like i said i have ben a fan of XBMC wayback eaven when it was called XBMP well i know XBMC was completely remade from scratch but it all started with XBMP. I been recruiting friends family etc to get xbox jsut for xbmc and now when u can run it on your own media center AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole XBMC team and community gets a BIG 100/10 from me. XBMC Is the best media player on earth no discussion

Anyway thanks for all replys and help guys

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
install 32bit on 64bit AMD system ?0