Solved Can't install Hauppauge PPA in Linux Mint 18.3
Can someone point me to what is wrong when I try to install the PPA for the Hauppauge TV drivers?  I am running Mint Cinnamon 18.3

I put in the commands listed here into terminal
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/s...linux.html

When I go to install the headers, it just automatically aborts.

https://paste.kodi.tv/yeboludumi

What I am I not understanding?

Thanks
Keith
Which kernel are you using ? uname -r
Learning Linux the hard way !!
If apt really aborts after your press Y, then something is seriously wrong and has nothing to do with the kernel version.
Are you sure there is no output missing in the paste?
(2018-11-20, 18:56)black_eagle Wrote: Which kernel are you using ? uname -r
4.15.0-39-generic

I guess when the PPA for the Haupppauge tries to install 
linux-headers-4.4.0-138201811061723 linux-headers-4.4.0-138201811061723-generic
the headers are retrograde(?) and aborts the operation?

I just upgraded my Mint Cinnamon system to 18.3 right before I tried to install the Hauppauge PPA.  It is a Skull Canyon NUC and it is currently only has Chrome browser installed and VMWare.  Beyond that it is empty.

Thanks for your responses.  I am trying to install an external Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD USB TV.  As you can probably tell, I am new to Kodi and will have to install the add ons after this.

Keith
Indeed, 4.15 is a newer Kernel than 4.4.  However, wsnipex is correct that the abort shouldn't happen at that point.  Usually, apt-get will only abort like that if it can't read from 'stdin' OR you have copy/pasted the line and there is an extra carriage return at then end of it - in which case, apt-get will see it as a keypress and abort the operation.

In spite of all that, you might not need drivers for it anyway !!  That tuner is supported in kernel since 14.7-rc1 (depending upon the model number).  See https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/H...nTV-dualHD There is a link on there for firmware if you have the DVB-T/C/T2 tuner.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2018-11-22, 12:03)black_eagle Wrote: Indeed, 4.15 is a newer Kernel than 4.4.  However, wsnipex is correct that the abort shouldn't happen at that point.  Usually, apt-get will only abort like that if it can't read from 'stdin' OR you have copy/pasted the line and there is an extra carriage return at then end of it - in which case, apt-get will see it as a keypress and abort the operation.

In spite of all that, you might not need drivers for it anyway !!  That tuner is supported in kernel since 14.7-rc1 (depending upon the model number).  See https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/H...nTV-dualHD There is a link on there for firmware if you have the DVB-T/C/T2 tuner.
I think I copy & pasted the line, so that may be the problem.
edit: I manually typed in the command to load the headers, and it did load them.  I ran Kaffeine TV application to see it if works and I do get one tuner on the Hauppauge WinTV-DualHD USB, but I should be getting two.
I can take that up with Hauppauge support.
Any advice on a backend for KODI TV players would be appreciated.
4.15.0-38201811061723-generic is available in the Hauppauge repo for bionic for what it's worth. Personally, I had a lot of problems with a winTV-quadHD on ubuntu 16.04 (read Mint 18.x) on the 4.4 kernel, with tuners not showing or going to disabled as soon as being used. Also if you are running the HWE 4.15 ubuntu kernel (not sure if Mint does, or just rebrands), it upgrades quite a few other core components, so trying to run 4.4 kernel again may well cause you more issues than it solves, if those are not downgraded as well.

Happy to say Bionic (read Mint 19.x) with the 4.15 kernel from the Hauppauge repo, completely fixed any issues, and I could finally use TVHeadend rather than NextPVR.
Thanks for your feedback!  Mint 19 is next so I can also run Netflix.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't install Hauppauge PPA in Linux Mint 18.30