v18 Video cache problems with a Mac Mini
A (late 2014) Mac Mini is the center of my home theater. When using a Netflix add-on to play a video (Land Girls) there is frequent and bothersome buffering (for instance, about 5 minutes in to the first episode). The strange thing is that no buffering interruptions occur when I play the same video on a (mid 2011) Mac Mini. 

The two computers are running the same versions of the OS (10.13.6) and Kodi (Leia RC3). An internet speed test shows just over 7 Mbps for both computers.

The first thing I did to solve the problem was to try to increase the video cache for the late 2014 Mini by following directions found here: HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache (wiki)  The computer has 16GB of RAM, so I figured setting "memorysize" to 1GB should help without causing problems. That seemed to have no effect! When I used Activity Monitor or "top", it looked like Kodi was only using a couple of hundred MB of RAM, and I didn't notice anything else changing memory usage when I killed Kodi. And the video would stop to buffer at the same spot as before. Also, the log seems to indicate that advancedsettings.xml was found and read properly. The log also has multiple lines with "DEBUG: Initialize: using buffer size: 16384 (0.042667 ms)".

Here is the requisite log file: axalijoceg.kodi (paste)

For both computers I verified (keyboard "o") that the video was playing full screen at 1080p. On the "late 2014" computer, "vq" (keyboard Ctrl+shift+o) drops to 0% when the buffering pause occurs. On the "mid 2011" computer, "vq" drops to about 75% at the same spot with no buffering pause.

So what could be causing the difference in performance between the two computers and what can I do to fix the buffering problem?

dgktkr
Different video cards in those 2 macs by any chance?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2019-01-01, 13:59)Memphiz Wrote: Different video cards in those 2 macs by any chance?
 Both use the integrated GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB for the Macmini5,1 and Intel Iris 5100 1536 MB for the Macmini7,1.

Since my initial post in this thread I've looked into it further. When Kodi is deleted completely from both machines (Kodi.app and Application Support/Kodi/*) and RC4 is installed along with add-ons, the two computers exhibit very similar behavior. I'm thinking the difference was somehow which versions of the add-ons were running.

The cache overrun problem seems to be OS independent. MacOS 10.13.6, Windows 7 Home Premium and Ubuntu 18.04.1 all show the same issue (same hardware) -- buffering at 37:32 into Netflix "Land Girls" S1E1. ( Netflix add-on)

I guess my question here is what is the appropriate forum for this issue? I suppose that would depend on which subsystem invokes the caching functionality. Is it always VideoPlayer itself, or might it be the Netflix add-on, or even perhaps inputstream.adaptive?

dgktkr
I have no idea but it is not Mac OS related then.
Inputstream adaptive would come into my mind then maybe.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video cache problems with a Mac Mini0