Sony TV judder and sync issues
(2019-05-08, 08:02)Klojum Wrote: Not everyone here is a video guru, so I was hoping that others would also step in.

One thing you could try is to disable the hw video acceleration, and see what that does.

Unfortunately I tried to activate and deactivate everything I could find in the different video and driver menus. Nothing helped. That's why I hoped that maybe someone knows something on a driver level. Does SPMC maybe use different drivers or something? Something more suitable for Android TV?
(2019-05-04, 04:38)AleXSR700 Wrote: Hello everyone :-)
I love kodi and use it on my PC, my phone, my fire tv and now also my Sony XF90 SmartTV.

However, I am having quite a few issues on the Sony.
Some videos judder and the sound is out of sync. When I play them on my phone or PC, everything is fine. But on the Sony they judder like crazy.
I tried enabling the automatic refresh rate adjustment but that either does not work or does not help (TV does not show current refresh rate anywhere).

I have tried all the video settings I could find and none seem to help.

When I put exactly the same files on a usb stick, plug them into the TV and play them with Sony's (very ugly and uncomfortable) video player they play perfectly.

So the TV seems capable of decoding/handling them. But either kodi is not syncing properly to the display or something else is wrong.

I am happy to supply you with any info needed :-)

I hope someone can help me out.

Cheers
Alex

This is happening because the Network Interface Card on the TV is 100MBit, and not 1Gbit, meaning that when you stream content locally to apps built into the 'smart TV' ecosystem it doesn't have enough bandwidth to properly play content, higher bitrate = more stuttering. You can try connecting via WiFi if your TV has a 5GHZ chip, if not, then you will have bandwidth issues once again over 2.4ghz :/. Your best bet is to just get an Nvidia Shield Pro (has a 1Gbit NIC), which has the exact same Android experience, but better. There was also an issue with Sony only allowing Kodi to run and play 1080p content, I think this was fixed with a firmware update, not sure though.

Personally I would just connect your PC to the TV and run Kodi off that if it is sufficiently powerful enough. However, Kodi 18.5 does not play HDR or Dolby Vision so you would need to get a modified version for that, bear in mind that you need the correct hardware for this.
(2019-12-28, 21:02)n00bftw Wrote:
(2019-05-04, 04:38)AleXSR700 Wrote:  

This is happening because the Network Interface Card on the TV is 100MBit, and not 1Gbit, meaning that when you stream content locally to apps built into the 'smart TV' ecosystem it doesn't have enough bandwidth to properly play content, higher bitrate = more stuttering. You can try connecting via WiFi if your TV has a 5GHZ chip, if not, then you will have bandwidth issues once again over 2.4ghz :/. Your best bet is to just get an Nvidia Shield Pro (has a 1Gbit NIC), which has the exact same Android experience, but better. There was also an issue with Sony only allowing Kodi to run and play 1080p content, I think this was fixed with a firmware update, not sure though.

Personally I would just connect your PC to the TV and run Kodi off that if it is sufficiently powerful enough. However, Kodi 18.5 does not play HDR or Dolby Vision so you would need to get a modified version for that, bear in mind that you need the correct hardware for this. 

I was never connected via LAN. Always via 5 Ghz Wifi. And the files I tried to play were really small, simple files.
No way on earth was this a network speed problem. Plus, I tried the files via USB as well. So nothing to do with that. Simply poor programming / component implementation on Kodi for Android TV compared to SPMC.

I have no issued playing 1080p files. Even 2160p files work via the same network using DTS HD 7.1.
Seems you found a solution, nice to hear.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-01-02, 16:43)AleXSR700 Wrote:
(2019-12-28, 21:02)n00bftw Wrote:
(2019-05-04, 04:38)AleXSR700 Wrote:  

I was never connected via LAN. Always via 5 Ghz Wifi. And the files I tried to play were really small, simple files.
No way on earth was this a network speed problem. Plus, I tried the files via USB as well. So nothing to do with that. Simply poor programming / component implementation on Kodi for Android TV compared to SPMC.

I have no issued playing 1080p files. Even 2160p files work via the same network using DTS HD 7.1. 

I have heard that MRMC is good on Android, give that a try mate.
I am aware of the new project, which to my knowledge also seems more or less dead in the water already.
And as a long running Kodi fan I was hoping to find some help here.
I tried my best to supply the necessary information but after doing so never heard anything back. I would understand if there was nothing one could do or if the cause was to deep in the system to fix, but I am a bit disappointed to never hear anything back from anyone who previously commented and criticized having once installed something not supported on this forum.

Anyway, I still use Kodi and switch to the ugly built in video player of the Sony TV. That app is actually able to play those files without any issues. But it does not support NAS drives, so I have to copy the files to my local USB drive.

Anyway, I have given up on finding a clean solution as MRMC isn't very good (useless compared to Kodi or SPMC), SPMC is no longer being developed and Kodi is unfortunately unable to play those files properly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony TV judder and sync issues0