Better control of subtitles.
I've just read that when Kodi 19 will be released, "profiles" won't exist anymore.   That's bad news, I think.

I have Master profile and a Kids profile (don't want Terminator and a Teddybear side by side Wink)
Okay, maybe that can be adjusted by another skin, like Embuary or similar.

But more important is the way Kodi works with subtitles.
In the master profile, subtitles are always enabled (English audio and Danish subtitles)
In Kids profil subtitles are disabled, and Danish audio is chosen as default.
But many of my Kids movies, I have with both English (original) and Danish audio and Danish subtitles.

So if both Master and Kids are combined..  I either have to manually disable subtitles on kids movies when starting to play.   Or manually have to enable Danish subtitles on all other movies everytime.

Why can't Kodi (like e.g  Emby) enable subtitles with foreign language (English audio enables Danish subtitles - Danish audio disables subtitles)

Screenshot from Emby subtitle options.
(2019-05-10, 14:32)Smasher Wrote: Why can't Kodi (like e.g  Emby) enable subtitles with foreign language (English audio enables Danish subtitles - Danish audio disables subtitles)

There is such a multitude of combinations possible when it comes to subtitle usage.
Internal default or forced, external, type, language, personal preference...
It's quite a challenge to have a UI for that in Kodi's crammed GUI.

But good news: Kodi 19 is up next, so feature requests may help there. Smile
(2019-05-10, 15:20)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-05-10, 14:32)Smasher Wrote: Why can't Kodi (like e.g  Emby) enable subtitles with foreign language (English audio enables Danish subtitles - Danish audio disables subtitles)

There is such a multitude of combinations possible when it comes to subtitle usage.
Internal default or forced, external, type, language, personal preference...
It's quite a challenge to have a UI for that in Kodi's crammed GUI.

But good news: Kodi 19 is up next, so feature requests may help there. Smile 

I know it might not be easy...   But it's just ONE more option in the subtitle menu  Wink

But we'll wait and see.
Moved.

This thread is better placed in feature requests to receive any kind of notice.
(2019-05-10, 14:32)Smasher Wrote: I've just read that when Kodi 19 will be released, "profiles" won't exist anymore.   That's bad news, I think.
Where did you read this? I looked in the development forums and I could not find it.
I'd be interested in the rationale behind the decision. I personally don't use profiles but I've always thought they were a nice feature to have, for those that need them (something your case exemplifies clearly).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2019-05-11, 12:18)ashlar Wrote:
(2019-05-10, 14:32)Smasher Wrote: I've just read that when Kodi 19 will be released, "profiles" won't exist anymore.   That's bad news, I think.
Where did you read this? I looked in the development forums and I could not find it.
I'd be interested in the rationale behind the decision. I personally don't use profiles but I've always thought they were a nice feature to have, for those that need them (something your case exemplifies clearly). 

It's mentioned several times at the forums over at OSMC, by the developers, so I think it's true.
(2019-05-11, 12:20)Smasher Wrote:
(2019-05-11, 12:18)ashlar Wrote:

It's mentioned several times at the forums over at OSMC, by the developers, so I think it's true. 
Thanks, hopefully a developer will chime in here with some more explanation. Smile
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
I too wish for better control of subtitles. Because of my bad hearing I never want to be without subtitles. I'm Swedish and ripped most of my DVDs and blu-ray discs into mkv files and my "Preferred subtitle language" is set to Swedish. But problem is, I have a fair bit of imported stuff that have no Swedish subtitles, so I would like a setting like "Secondary subtitle language" set to English, so it use English subtitles whenever Swedish subtitles aren't found in the mkv file.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Better control of subtitles.0