OSD audio stream info
Hey all,

So I recently upgraded (from 17.6) and I noticed that when I push “o” to get the osd the audio stream is always saying RAW RAW RAW 8bits. I know the file audio is much higher than 8(24bit). Any idea why it us displaying this, it’s set for pass through. I sure hope the receiver is not only getting 8 pass through from kodi?

Thanks,
Jer
(2019-11-29, 05:50)jeremy1 Wrote: it’s set for pass through
In pass through mode as I understand it, Kodi just passes the signal on directly without touching it. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...I25Xd86hTB

FTW: When using Audio Passthrough, Kodi does not decode the audio stream, rather it will send the original audio stream to the AV Receiver to be decoded by the Receiver. To use this option, you must have passthrough capable hardware and an AV Receiver capable of decoding some or all of the formats listed below. Formats that the Receiver cannot decode will be decoded by the Kodi Audio Output Decoder. If you have a quality AV Receiver, Audio Passthrough should be used.

Note: When the setting Sync Playback to Display is enabled, it will disable Passthrough. Both settings cannot be enabled at the same time.

Settings/System/Audio (wiki) I'm unsure what the OSD is displaying, but I believe the 'pass-through' is untouched properly set-up.
Thanks for the reply! Pretty sure mines all setup properly, It’s too bad kodi doesn’t display the accurate audio bit rate even in pass through...
(2019-11-30, 05:42)jeremy1 Wrote: kodi doesn’t display the accurate audio bit rate
This question might be handled better in Music Support https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=263, it might be just a skin issue, worth a post.
(2019-11-30, 18:08)PatK Wrote:
(2019-11-30, 05:42)jeremy1 Wrote: kodi doesn’t display the accurate audio bit rate
This question might be handled better in Music Support https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=263, it might be just a skin issue, worth a post.

Can anyone who is running bitstream on v18.0 or newer on a pc hit “o” and tell be if there’s all saw 8 bit as well? Please and than you Smile
Really, no one can do a quick check on their system for me? Come on Smile
I see FR FL LFE SR SL ff-ac3 32bits, 48khz on a random movie in the OSD Kodi 18.5
(2019-12-19, 06:08)PatK Wrote: I see FR FL LFE SR SL ff-ac3 32bits, 48khz on a random movie in the OSD Kodi 18.5

Really? Is your Kodi set to passthrough” Mine doesn’t say anything about FR FL etc. It says “RAW RAW RAW RAW RAW 8bits”

Can you switch yours to pass through and see what it says?

Thanks!
(2019-12-19, 15:16)jeremy1 Wrote: Really? Is your Kodi set to passthrough”
I thought it was, just rechecked and it is set to pass-through. To be sure I tried 10 files and they all gave similar results (media depending) except for the last one which gave similar results to what you have been seeing with the 'RAW' attribute. Looking at the files, it appears that there are many highly sophisticated algorithms to handle audio and best handled in hardware as a passthrough signal Audio troubleshooting (wiki) and in most cases Kodi correctly reports, but in cases in which the determination is unclear (new algorithms etc) Kodi indicates RAW as a passthrough. Checking a debug log, you can see some wasapi drivers indicate properly as above, but others include the RAW option in audio which appears to be an attempt to future proof reporting for some hardware.

Just trying to think of a plausible explanation; I hope you can understand the mere interrogation of an audio codec and reporting might in-itself cause issues with passthrough and timing. At this point I'm unclear if this is a hardware driver issue or something Kodi has yet to uncover but all indications on my set-up is that passthrough works as intended.

If this is a real sticking point, the work-round would be a re-encode of the video for supported encodes.
(2019-12-19, 20:57)PatK Wrote:
(2019-12-19, 15:16)jeremy1 Wrote: Really? Is your Kodi set to passthrough”
I thought it was, just rechecked and it is set to pass-through. To be sure I tried 10 files and they all gave similar results (media depending) except for the last one which gave similar results to what you have been seeing with the 'RAW' attribute. Looking at the files, it appears that there are many highly sophisticated algorithms to handle audio and best handled in hardware as a passthrough signal Audio troubleshooting (wiki) and in most cases Kodi correctly reports, but in cases in which the determination is unclear (new algorithms etc) Kodi indicates RAW as a passthrough. Checking a debug log, you can see some wasapi drivers indicate properly as above, but others include the RAW option in audio which appears to be an attempt to future proof reporting for some hardware.

Just trying to think of a plausible explanation; I hope you can understand the mere interrogation of an audio codec and reporting might in-itself cause issues with passthrough and timing. At this point I'm unclear if this is a hardware driver issue or something Kodi has yet to uncover but all indications on my set-up is that passthrough works as intended.

If this is a real sticking point, the work-round would be a re-encode of the video for supported encodes.

I appreciate the feedback. Doesn’t really matter to me other than I hope I’m getting the highest bitrate possible and the OSD is wrong. Not sure how to find that out though...
(2019-12-20, 02:49)jeremy1 Wrote: I’m getting the highest bitrate possible and the OSD is wrong. Not sure how to find that out though...
I don't think the OSD is wrong, it's just not able to deal with some media atm and regurgitates the word RAW passing the data along as packets. Of course it's your ears that are the final determination, if needed run some sort calibration Surround Test that outputs a signal to each speaker one at a time using Kodi and check your sources with something like MediaInfo (wiki) https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=253592
True, however it would be nice if even in passthrough kodi does a one time check and displays the correct bitrate. Older versions of kodi use to display the correct bitrate even on passthrough.
(2019-12-22, 05:53)jeremy1 Wrote: Older versions of kodi use to display the correct bitrate even on passthrough.
Old versions didn't have to deal with 4k, 10 bit,  dolby atmos, x265 encodes. Suggestion: put something in 'feature requests forum' or put something into a bug tracker and link back to this thread to get some attention.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSD audio stream info0