Req Kodi doesn't start anymore in Android TV
Hello,
i am using Kodi for about 2 years by decoder TimVision "Skipper" (by Technicolor inc.) with android TV: the system is updated automatically by TIM (the italian provider) and at today is Android 8.
About 2 weeks ago i noticed the Kodi wasn't more set to italian language but in the menu english was the only possilble choice, the version was the latest 18.5 leia.  A technician a few days ago asked me to do a factory reset of decoder to see if that and some other little issues with the paytv depended on a software or hardware issue with the decoder.  Then,  after to have reinstalled the usual applications from Google Play store  i saw that Kodi , compared to the past,  requires to allow the access to the media storage connected to decoder : i usually connect usb pendrives to play video files.   
After that notification , I click on "continue" and the next step click on "allow"  but at that point the startup of Kodi is stuck on the message "waiting for an external media device..."  and it can stay in this status for minutes and doesn't complete the startup.  Until 2 weeks ago the startup process was smooth , no special access required , just few seconds while the progress bar became completed (sometimes in the same time appeared a message notification that was the first startup of the application)  and the main screen appeared.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall this version, the precedent italian versions 18.4 and 18.3 by a pendrive ,  clear the data and cache of the application ... nothing solved the problem and at the moment i am forced to choose and use another player among those few available on Google play for example VLC that i don't like so much and consider just a momentary replacement.   Also, Kodi is the only application with problems , all the rest in the decoder works properly so the TIM's technician didn't know how to help me.

I recently wrote to the developer about this unespected issue but i don't know when he will be able (if) to provide me a solution.

any idea?

many thanks
Dimitri
(2019-12-06, 17:26)Frondizi Wrote: "waiting for an external media device..." 
Pretty sure that's not a Kodi message having checked the strings.po.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/xbmc/x...strings.po
(2019-12-06, 19:16)Hitcher Wrote:

Yes instead , it is on kodi screen, my decoder and also Android is all in Italian language. So English messages are from kodi.

first step :

second step : appears a window in italian that asks me to allow (or deny) the access else Kodi will be closed.

after to have allowed the result is :

as you can see is right on the Kodi startup screen, i had wrong to write the exact message.

Yes instead , it is on kodi screen, my decoder and also Android is all in Italian language. So English messages are from kodi.

first step :

second step : appears a window in italian that tell me that i have to allow (or deny)
the access...
after to have allowed the result is :

as you can see is right on the Kodi startup screen, i had wrong to write the exact message.

Yes instead , it is on kodi screen, my decoder and also Android is all in Italian language.
first step :

second step : appears a window in italian (that is from Android) that asks me to allow (or deny) the access.

after to have allowed :

third step : Image
(2019-12-07, 20:51)Frondizi Wrote: as you can see

No need to post everything 3 times... Your edit permissions on this forum will kick in over time once the anti-spam measures have been lifted.

You can also use the i-button in the forum editor to automagically upload images. Links will then appear in the editor window.
Sorry for that , i did it for mistake.
i am on smartphone and seemed that wasn't posted yet so i tried to modify the first post in preview mode.
So,
there is no solution for this bug? no answer so far from the developer(s).

Dimitri
(2019-12-11, 21:31)Frondizi Wrote: So,

Dimitri
Can you go into your android settings and change kodi permissions to allow access to storage.
(2019-12-12, 07:28)DNKK Wrote:

Dimitri
Can you go into your android settings and change kodi permissions to allow access to storage. 
Hello,  i'm afraid that is not so simple to solve , i think to have already checked that section on decoder, however i'll try again to check that, could be another section than the one i'm thinking of.
(2019-12-13, 21:04)Frondizi Wrote:
(2019-12-12, 07:28)DNKK Wrote:

Dimitri
Hello,  i'm afraid that is not so simple to solve , i think to have already checked that section on decoder, however i'll try again to check that, could be another section than the one i'm thinking of.

Hello, i knew already the permissions access to storage section, a
and Kodi has already the permission to access to external storage devices, it is a switch. And even if i switch off that permission as soon as i try to start Kodi i am asked to allow that access by the screenshots i shared in precedent posts, then Kodi get stuck in "waiting for external storage..." and if i go back in the permissions section i find that switch activated.

I really don't know how to solve this problem.
I am forced to choose among one of the few players suggested on Google Play Android TV but no one can be compared to the flexibility of Kodi features for example i like the wide possibility to re-amplify on the fly a movie with the audio track level too low or attenuate if too loud. But also many others useful features.

On my opinion this thread should be raised to important threads not just normal thread because the unknown problem prevents totally to Kodi be used.
(2019-12-16, 11:58)Frondizi Wrote:
(2019-12-13, 21:04)Frondizi Wrote:
(2019-12-12, 07:28)DNKK Wrote: Can you go into your android settings and change kodi permissions to allow access to storage. 

Hello, i knew already the permissions access to storage section, a
and Kodi has already the permission to access to external storage devices, it is a switch. And even if i switch off that permission as soon as i try to start Kodi i am asked to allow that access by the screenshots i shared in precedent posts, then Kodi get stuck in "waiting for external storage..." and if i go back in the permissions section i find that switch activated.

I really don't know how to solve this problem.
I am forced to choose among one of the few players suggested on Google Play Android TV but no one can be compared to the flexibility of Kodi features for example i like the wide possibility to re-amplify on the fly a movie with the audio track level too low or attenuate if too loud. But also many others useful features.

On my opinion this thread should be raised to important threads not just normal thread because the unknown problem prevents totally to Kodi be used. 
This problem is unique to your device only if you want it to be fixed you need to submit the bug on github with all the logs etc. But from what you are describing the problem seems to be a firmware bug on your device so unlikely kodi dev can fix it. Can you use mrmc?
(2019-12-17, 07:37)DNKK Wrote: This problem is unique to your device only if you want it to be fixed you need to submit the bug on github with all the logs etc. But from what you are describing the problem seems to be a firmware bug on your device so unlikely kodi dev can fix it. Can you use mrmc?

i didn't know Mrmc...
do you mean the free or full version?

So, you think that i would have to claim the issue with Kodi to my provider technical support? the periodical updates (android system and security) come automatically from the provider, is mandatory, and the issue until the autumn didn't exist.
All started with an english version (no more Italian language like the previous versions and no other languages available in the settings ),
i think it should continue to be available in Italian from the Android TV Google store... what can be changed within the last 2 months?
Installed on the decoder, the Mrmc Lite : it behaves the same way. "... Waiting for external storage" .
(2019-12-21, 19:35)Frondizi Wrote: Installed on the decoder, the Mrmc Lite : it behaves the same way. "... Waiting for external storage" .

To me it looks like your device firmware bug where the permission system is not working properly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi doesn't start anymore in Android TV0