Does Kodi ever force people to update to a new version?
I set up Kodi on someone's Fire TV Gen 3 a long time ago.  Back then I was still using Jarvis (v16.1) because I didn't like the layout of v17 or v18.  It has been working all this time flawlessly.

All of a sudden the guy texts me and tells me that he screwed something up.  He said that he got a message that he had to update Kodi and it wouldn't let him use it anymore.  He googled instructions and used a downloader app to install v18.  Now all his sources are gone.

My question is, is there any way that he could be telling the truth?  I know that in the past, when using v16.1, I would occasionally get a popup saying that there was a newer build and I would click OK.  It never made Jarvis stop working.  Everything always worked fine even though I didn't update.  Did Kodi change something for Fire TV devices that makes them stop working when using an older version?

I have a feeling this idiot just tried to install some streaming addons instead of sticking with the local content that I set up for him.  And because he's computer illiterate, I'm sure he just screwed up his system and I'll have to fix it.
(2019-12-22, 04:48)spiderborg Wrote: My question is, is there any way that he could be telling the truth?
If he is using original Kodi, then no. There is nothing to force a user to update. (There are members here still using v13-v15). When a new release becomes available, a pop up will appear advising you a new release is available, but once the notice is cancelled, it does not appear again, and you continue to use Kodi as per normal.

(2019-12-22, 04:48)spiderborg Wrote: I have a feeling this idiot just tried to install some streaming addons instead of sticking with the local content that I set up for him.  And because he's computer illiterate, I'm sure he just screwed up his system and I'll have to fix it.
If Kodi has truly become inoperative, then this is the likely cause.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-12-22, 05:01)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-12-22, 04:48)spiderborg Wrote: My question is, is there any way that he could be telling the truth?
If he is using original Kodi, then no. There is nothing to force a user to update. (There are members here still using v13-v15). When a new release becomes available, a pop up will appear advising you a new release is available, but once the notice is cancelled, it does not appear again, and you continue to use Kodi as per normal.
(2019-12-22, 04:48)spiderborg Wrote: I have a feeling this idiot just tried to install some streaming addons instead of sticking with the local content that I set up for him.  And because he's computer illiterate, I'm sure he just screwed up his system and I'll have to fix it.
If Kodi has truly become inoperative, then this is the likely cause. 
Yeah I'm pretty confident that he tried to get those streaming addons to work.  He has a new girlfriend and she was probably bugging him to do it.  I know he isn't adventurous enough to try something like that on his own haha
An Android it is different. If he has told the PlayStore to automatically update kodi application, then it will update - but that's a PlayStore thingy, not a kodi one, e.g. misconfiguration / administration of user's OS by user.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-12-22, 07:57)fritsch Wrote: An Android it is different. If he has told the PlayStore to automatically update kodi application, then it will update - but that's a PlayStore thingy, not a kodi one, e.g. misconfiguration / administration of user's OS by user.

It is on a Fire TV device.  I'm very familiar with them and they don't even have a Play Store app.  Kodi isn't available to install on Fire TV unless you sideload it.  So he had to get some other "downloader" app to even install Kodi without using his PC to sideload the new version.
Yes, exactly. On FireTV it's not in the store. Means: someone did it manually by following some tutorial somewhere.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does Kodi ever force people to update to a new version?0