FireTV Stick 4K issue - BluRay .ISO playback
Hey All,

First off, thanks for any help you can provide in advanced.

Now to the story.  Over black friday I got a FireTV Stick 4K because my old fire TV was just unable to play BluRay ISOs.

Today I just installed Kodi 18.5, and have been testing various Bluray ISO files.  I am using a 5GHz connection for the time being and here is what I am finding:
- Some BluRays will play, but then freeze after a couple of seconds and start back up again.  (I am thinking this is due to buffering)
- Other BluRays will go into loading and just spin forever without the movie loading at all.
- Other BluRays simply won't load at all.  I have the same issue on my Surface Pro 3 I use downstairs, but when I mount these files in Windows, they then work.

So I have some questions:
1- Is the firestick 4K strong enough to stream ISO files with TrueHD audio or similar?
2- Could the issues I am seeing have to do with my 5GHz connection?
3- Is buffering why my videos stop and then replay again?  If so, how can I increase the buffer size.  I believe older builds had this.
4- Other things I should be aware of?

I was going to buy a usb to ethernet dongle for the fireTV stick, but don't want to waste the money on it, if this is more of a firestick issue.

Any help would be appreciated
Start with your Debug Log that shows one issue after the other.

- I also use a FireTV 4K Stick with 5 Ghz AC WLAN and up to 300 Mbit/s throughput, tested with iperf3 and analiti.
- FireTV cannot passthrough TrueHD, means it will decode it to 7.1 PCM (depending on your AVR).
- You can make a simple speed test. Go to Settings -> File manager, on the left hand side navigate to Profile directory (here we copy something to), on the right hand side choose Add source, here add your movie directory. Now select a file on the right hand side (~ 1 GB is fine) and use context menu and choose copy. What speed do you get? (On my system 24 MegaByte / s ~ 200 Mbit /s), plent yenough for your use-case.

Most USB ethernet dongles are 100 Mbit/s only, they might be slower than your AC wireless.

Additionally i tried a raw bluray rip with truehd soundtrack (Expendables 3), worked like a charm.

Edit: Do not forget to remove the file again (left side context menu -> delete)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Okay, I think the copying of the files is very telling here.  I am getting 5.6MB/s which is nowhere close to enough at the moment,  I forgot that when Xfinity gave me a new modem, it on;y had 2 Ethernet ports.  So that means my NAS and my firestick are both wireless, so this is going slower then expected.  Going to play around a bit and see if I can do better.  If not, I will post back the logs and such.
Okay, so that was it, basically Firestick works more then fine on Bluray content, but it was my speed that was the issue.  Thanks for the help!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FireTV Stick 4K issue - BluRay .ISO playback0