Solved Changed my NAS, problems getting connected.
So last weekend I installed a new NAS to put all my media on. I was running my media from a NAS before but it was time for a bigger and faster one. The problem I have now is that I can only access this new NAS from within Kodi when I use the same password that I used on the old NAS. No other password will work. Let me explain:

So lets say the servername of my first NAS was: NAS and it's password was: password1
I then temporarily named the new NAS: NAS1 and gave it as password: password2
In Windows I copied all of my files from NAS to NAS1
After this was done I renamed both NAS-devices.
NAS was renamed to Backup
NAS1 was renamed to NAS

Now, In Kodi I always used an SMB Share. So my thoughts were, since my new NAS now had the same servername as the old one, I simply had to change my password for this share to "password2" and I would be up and running. This didn't work however. Kodi gives me an "Operation not permitted" error. "password2" contained a lot of special characters so I thought this might be the problem. So I created a new password on the new NAS, "password3", wich contained only letters and numbers. In Kodi I changed the password of the shared location to "password3" but I get the same error.

Next I tried it on my phone. I installed a fresh Kodi on it since I never used it on my phone. Next I tried connecting to my new NAS. To my surprise it works on it and I can access the data on the new NAS without a problem. I even changed the password back to "password2" on my NAS and phone and Kodi accepts this without a problem. On the Shield hower I still get the same "Operation not permitted" error.

So after a while I gave the new NAS the same password as the old one had, "password1". I did the same on the Shield, et voilla, all my data was there and Kodi can access my library without a problem. Everything works. 

Problem is, one of the reasons I bought a new NAS was to have a backup and a more safe situation overall. Password1 however is pretty lame so I really want a stronger password on my NAS. I can't seem to figure out why Kodi on the Shield won't let me have another password on the new NAS. 

My Kodi is running on a Nvidia Shield TV 2017. My old NAS is a Synology DS216se. The new NAS is a Synology DS418play. The phone I used for testing was a Samsung S10. 

Does anyone have an idea? I know it's a bit difficult to understand but I cannot explain it any better without revealing my servernames and passwords. Something I'm not really keen on doing on a public forum. If there are questions, just ask and I'll try to clarify.

Thanks.
To be clear, you're getting "operation not permitted" when you try and access the media that you copied across to the new NAS?

My suspicion is that in your database on the shield the entries for the media are stored as something like user:password@NAS/my/path/to/media , including the username and password. Hence when you're trying to access it's using the old password, which of course won't work when that's not the password currently on the NAS.

The simplest way might be to just drop the database on the shield and scrape things again from fresh, but you will lose your watched status etc by doing that (essentially what you did on your phone, although there of course you're just creating fresh). Otherwise you could try refreshing your existing database to try and force it to pick up the new password, or even editing it to make the change manually (if you know what you're doing with SQL).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I get the error when I go to: files -> add videos -> Browse -> and then click the existing SMB share. Also when I long press the SMB location and chose "edit network location", change the password and try to save it I get the error. When I try to play a video from my library nothing really happens. I don't get an error and the video doesn't play. Also when I try to add a new network location on the NAS I get the same error. I don't really think it has something to do with the existing library. Even when trying to add a new location I get the error. It just won't connect to the new NAS unless I use the old password. FYI, when I use FX File explorer I can get to the files just fine with any of the passwords. Only in Kodi I can't.

I just remembered I also have a version of Kodi on my Surface Pro. I never really used it much but it does have a library built on it. Tonight I'm gonna give that one a try and see if it has the same problem.

If I get the same problem on there I might just delete the database and start from fresh. I have the Trakt.tv plugin enabled so I should be able to get my watched status back after doing so.

I'll report back.
I don't really use passwords as I use nfs shares, but it might be worth checking the contents of passwords.xml in the userdata directory.  If the old username/password is in there, that might account for why only that one works.  If that's the case, and Kodi doesn't seem to be able to update/change it, then you could try editing it manually to the new credentials.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
If you're doing the rebuild then I'd second @black_eagle 's suggestion of NFS. I use it on mine and it works fine. Indeed I just moved my library from an old WD NAS onto a new Synology one without issue (although it was a total rebuild as I took the opportunity to clean things up and remove accumulated crud from the database and thumbnail cache).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks guys. I'll look for the passwords.xml tonight and see what I find in there. If all else fails I probably will go for a rebuild. I tried nfs back in the day when I first started using Kodi (xbmc back then) and couldn't get it to work so I tried smb and it worked so I kept using it all that time. Maybe it's time to give nfs another try...

I'll keep you guys posted.
Thanks guys. Editing the passwords.xml file manually did the trick. I tried a movie and an episode of a TV-show and both start playing. I also tried adding a new network location and I can acces the new NAS now with the new password.

So it seems all is well. I can't do anymore testing at the moment since this afternoon one of my new drives failed in the NAS and I'm running it without redundancy now. I have send the drive back and hopefully I get a new one before the weekend. Until then I'm gonna keep the NAS turned off.

But I'm pretty sure everything is gonna work as it should now.

Thanks again.
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Changed my NAS, problems getting connected.0