How do I get HDR content working? 19.0 'Matrix' is not an option.
Hello

I can confirm I've search for hours but still none the wise, hence this post.

I've recently purchase a shiny new LG OLED and was looking forward to watching some HDR content via Kodi, however that wasn't possible as with my current Kodi version all HDR movies displayed extremely dark and were unwatchable. I gave 18.5 Leia a try but still unable to watch HDR content, i.e. no metadata passthrough putting TV into HDR mode. Gave Matrix a try and whilst HDR content now worked, my addon were now broken, so Matrix is not an option and therefore I'm back on Leia. I read in a forum post (not from developer however) that Leia supports HDR, but I didn't have any success.

1. Does Leia support HDR, and if so how do I enable it please?

2. If Leia doesn't support HDR, I understand that I need to use DSPlayer and madVR, but do these still work in 18.5 as I've read that the developer for DSPlayer has quit?

3. I've only been able to source a guide to setup DSPlayer and madVR for Krypton 17.6. Does this still work for Leia 18.5, or is there an updated guide I can follow please?

4. DSPlayer and madVR both appear to be players, so why do both need to be installed?

Thank you
The right path is 19.0 Matrix,  update addon to Python 3  or use other add-on / no add-on
I've just found that 19.0 Matrix doesn't actually support HDR though does it (only the unofficial fork does).

If someone could cover my questions please, would be a great help thank you.
Use any version of Kodi you want, official or forked, and simply add madVr, LAV Filters, and player of your choice.  Guide is in my signature below.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Thanks brazen1, the only problem with your method is that for HDR to be activated, the file name needs to include 'HDR'. Is this correct? If so, is there anyway to use Kodi (pre 19) and madVR etc without needing HDR in file name in order to active HDR?
(2020-02-02, 21:45)jackhulk Wrote: Thanks brazen1, the only problem with your method is that for HDR to be activated, the file name needs to include 'HDR'. Is this correct? If so, is there anyway to use Kodi (pre 19) and madVR etc without needing HDR in file name in order to active HDR?
When I was using MPC-BE and MadVR as an external player I put all my 4k HDR files in their own folder, and just keyed off the folder or the filename:

<rule name="4K" filename=".*/4K/.*|.*2160p.*|.*/4K TV Shows/.*" player="MPC-BE"></rule>

You could also just have MPC-BE (or whatever) be used for everything. You'd lose the convenience you get for SDR files being managed by Kodi's database, but it'd be basically guaranteed to work (once you set it up correctly at all resolutions/framerates).
(2020-02-02, 21:45)jackhulk Wrote: Thanks brazen1, the only problem with your method is that for HDR to be activated, the file name needs to include 'HDR'. Is this correct? If so, is there anyway to use Kodi (pre 19) and madVR etc without needing HDR in file name in order to active HDR?
Any part of a filename can be used.  2160p, HEVC, etc.  Since some HEVC and 2160p file names are not necessarily HDR, I add HDR to leave no room for confusion but you can use whatever you want and simply edit the playercorefactory.xml to reflect your preference.  Since I use 7 players for various files, I need a way to assign them.  If you simply devote one player for everything, you don't need to have anything specific in a filename.  This behavior is the same for any Kodi build.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Thanks guys. I've been testing various setups and I really like the 'Kodi DSPlayer' built, but it has limitations with streaming content so it looks like that option will have to be ruled out, unless you know how to get it working with streaming content?

I've tried the manual way with externals (MPC-BE, madVR & LAV filters), and that seems to be front runner for now, however I really do prefer the Kodi OSD which I understand is not possible with external players, is that correct?

With that preference aside for now, I have some questions regarding my MPC-BE, madVR & LAV filters install....

1. I'm not entirely sure I've setup LAV filters correctly. In MPC-BE settings, I've disabled 'Internal Filters' > 'Source Filters', 'Video Decoders' & 'Audio Decoders'... is this the correct thing to do? I've added LAV filters via 'External Filters', but how can I actually tell MPC-BE is using LAV filters please? AB testing with LAV filters enabled/disabled, the video looks the same regardless, which suggests they are not being used when enabled.

2. When LAV filters are enabled and I'm playing a video, LAV Video Configuration 'Active Decoder' shows <inactive>. Shouldn't this be 'active'?

3. I have 'Hardware Decoder to use' set to D3D11. Does D3D11 provide best quality, or should I be using one of the other options?

4. I'm using LG OLED65C9PLA which is set to PC and I have a GTX 1080. Do I need to change the color settings within the Nvida control panel (currently on 'default color settings'). and if so what settings should I use please?

5.  I would like videos withing my 'Movies1' folder to be played via MPC-BE. I've added 'Movies1' to playercorefactory but videos are still not playing via MPC-BE. Where have I gone wrong please...

<rule filename=".*HDR10.*|.*HDR.*|.*hdr.*|.*4K.*|.*4k.*|.*2160p.*|.*UltraHD.*|.*/Movies1/.*" player="MPC-BE"></rule>
(2020-02-08, 13:48)jackhulk Wrote: Thanks guys. I've been testing various setups and I really like the 'Kodi DSPlayer' built, but it has limitations with streaming content so it looks like that option will have to be ruled out, unless you know how to get it working with streaming content?

I've tried the manual way with externals (MPC-BE, madVR & LAV filters), and that seems to be front runner for now, however I really do prefer the Kodi OSD which I understand is not possible with external players, is that correct?

With that preference aside for now, I have some questions regarding my MPC-BE, madVR & LAV filters install....

1. I'm not entirely sure I've setup LAV filters correctly. In MPC-BE settings, I've disabled 'Internal Filters' > 'Source Filters', 'Video Decoders' & 'Audio Decoders'... is this the correct thing to do? I've added LAV filters via 'External Filters', but how can I actually tell MPC-BE is using LAV filters please? AB testing with LAV filters enabled/disabled, the video looks the same regardless, which suggests they are not being used when enabled.

2. When LAV filters are enabled and I'm playing a video, LAV Video Configuration 'Active Decoder' shows <inactive>. Shouldn't this be 'active'?

3. I have 'Hardware Decoder to use' set to D3D11. Does D3D11 provide best quality, or should I be using one of the other options?

4. I'm using LG OLED65C9PLA which is set to PC and I have a GTX 1080. Do I need to change the color settings within the Nvida control panel (currently on 'default color settings'). and if so what settings should I use please?

5.  I would like videos withing my 'Movies1' folder to be played via MPC-BE. I've added 'Movies1' to playercorefactory but videos are still not playing via MPC-BE. Where have I gone wrong please...

<rule filename=".*HDR10.*|.*HDR.*|.*hdr.*|.*4K.*|.*4k.*|.*2160p.*|.*UltraHD.*|.*/Movies1/.*" player="MPC-BE"></rule>

1. Open the LAV Video Configuration with Kodi/MPC-BE closed. Check the "Show Icon in System Tray" checkbox at the bottom and then Okay out of the dialog. Now play a movie through MPC-BE. If LAV Filters are being used, you'll see the LAV Video Icon in your system tray.

2. Would think so, yeah.

3. D3D11 is most likely what you want.

4. Can't help there.

5. That looks correct. Do files with .*2160p.* play through MPC-BE? Is that the only rule you have or are there others that might be being applied?
(2020-02-02, 18:19)jackhulk Wrote: I've just found that 19.0 Matrix doesn't actually support HDR though does it (only the unofficial fork does).

If someone could cover my questions please, would be a great help thank you.
Sorry for digging out the old thread, but is this still the case after final release? A lot of articles ive seen online in last few days advertise Matrix as being HDR capable on Windows
v19 supports HDR on windows
(2021-02-22, 09:14)wsnipex Wrote: v19 supports HDR on windows
Specifically, it supports HDR10 and HLG.  That means it supports the BT2020 defined color space at a 10 bit resolution and the PQ (ST 2084) and HLG (ARIB STD-B67) transfer functions.  It should be available on HEVC (X.265) VP9.2 and AV1 codecs.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I get HDR content working? 19.0 'Matrix' is not an option.0