XBMC Official Online Manual (Wiki)
i would like to ask for your help on writing an online manual for xbmc, (english only). Smile

it is based on a wikki, but you will have to register (l don't believe a freeforall wikki will work for xbmc). :p

if you have any questions/suggestions then please post them in this thread.
as you can see i have already written a few parts (still lots of work to do though) and it would be nice if you can keep the layout, but if you don't like to care about the layout just write away and i will edit it. Smile

xbmc online manual

oh and don't forget to help us to collect all files related to xbmc on our xbmc file database too. Smile

read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
Exclamation 
a good start to build this user-editable online manual would be for someone to port the existing xbmc beta manual to this wikki format
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
well i have started just that... (only one small section ported though Smile)
hopefully i´ll get some time in the coming days to continue.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
great initiative - hopefully it'll see xbmc fully documented soon!

can you guys add the xbmc screenshots that are in the beta word manual to the screenshots section of xboxmediacenter.com?
(the grabs in the screenshots section are a little outdated it seems, or at least there are no with the default xbmc skin)

then i can link to them in the wiki area.
gamester17, any chance of getting the screenshots from the beta manual on the xboxmediacenter.com website? (and thus the ability to include them in the online docs?)
(sho @ may 17 2004,17:31 Wrote:gamester17, any chance of getting the screenshots from the beta manual on the xboxmediacenter.com website? (and thus the ability to include them in the online docs?)
great if someone could do that to, (with new xme skin at 720x576 and latest cvs) both to replace those in the .doc beta manual and to create a complete new set for our screenshot webpage. if anyone is up for that task please go ahead, upload zipped here (link)
just created an account to see if i could change the toc on the faq page. but as it is auto generated (and i am supposed to be working right now. Image  ) i can't figure out how to change it.
maybe later when i have more time...

but i will try to help out where i can.
i think i can chnage the layout of tocs in the template. what do you think should it look like?
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
well a faq should be an easy read. so people will actually read it and not ask in the forums.
the current layout makes it hard to read or even scan.
i would decrease font size, maybe increase line spacing
(or an empty one between each questions, but then you would get a long list)
and change font color.
or maybe even ditch the toc altogether?

--
now that i have an account can i just change anything i want? is that a safe option, do you really trust just anybody ie. me? Image
(nogood5 @ may 18 2004,15:08 Wrote:now that i have an account can i just change anything i want? is that a safe option, do you really trust just anybody ie. me?    Image
well... yes. thats the point of a wikki. i wonder if this will work myself hehe. but there are many wikkis out there you don't even have to register to change everything and which are so big that it is quite impossible to keep track of all changes (like http://www.wikipedia.org). for minor changes you can use the pagehistory to revert a stupid/wrong edit and i do regular backups of the sql database to be able to restore it if someone messes up all pages.

ps: btw server will be down for 5hrs from now on (moving to another machine)
can someone in the know please look at:
http://manual.xboxmediacenter.de/wakka.p...tles&v=nll
this passage on subtitles is lifted from the 0.06 beta manual, but it looks to me suspiciously like a copy/paste job from xbmp and perhaps not all of it is actually applicable to xbmc. (especially regarding the subtitle font and size stuff)
(sho @ may 21 2004,17:45 Wrote:can someone in the know please look at:
http://manual.xboxmediacenter.de/wakka.p...tles&v=nll
this passage on subtitles is lifted from the 0.06 beta manual, but it looks to me suspiciously like a copy/paste job from xbmp and perhaps not all of it is actually applicable to xbmc. (especially regarding the subtitle font and size stuff)
well i don't use subsa lot, but i know that most of the infos are wrooong Image.

i have taken the liberty and just deleted some imho wrong info for the subtitles.
a link should be made to "settings-my videos" to complement this subtitle section. but that is for another day
good, but this needs to be covered somehow:

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....t=2548;

i also *think* this implies you can use localized fonts, which you incidentally removed from the section Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Official Online Manual (Wiki)0