Philips TV - Android TV - MediaCodec (Surface) colour issue
I recently purchased a Philips TV running Android, and was excited to install Kodi on it, as it could simplify my setup (I have been using a windows machine with a non-Smart TV for the last 8/9 years). 

Installed Kodi fine, got NFS file share working fine, but stumbled on a problem with video colour. 

All the reds become pink/purple and I can almost correct it with the TV colour correction settings, but I can see that the UI colours - and other still images are fine. It only affects video, and colour display is fine on the other Android TV apps, e.g. Youtube, Netflix etc.

I have narrowed it down to the hardware acceleration options in the Kodi settings. If I turn off MediaCodec (surface), colour is good, red is red. However the lack of acceleration means the video is unwatchable, stuttering and getting out of sync with the sound. Turn on the MediaCodec (surface), and video is smooth but pink/purple. 

I can't find a video addon within Kodi to do colour correction and I have no idea how to troubleshoot the hardware acceleration - other than turn it on or off. Does anyone on the forum experience something similar, or have any tips on resolving this?

In the meantime I can switch back to using the windows machine running Kodi - which appears fine.

Thanks!
(2020-04-02, 02:03)sdevans_nz Wrote: I recently purchased a Philips TV running Android, and was excited to install Kodi on it, as it could simplify my setup (I have been using a windows machine with a non-Smart TV for the last 8/9 years). 

Installed Kodi fine, got NFS file share working fine, but stumbled on a problem with video colour. 

All the reds become pink/purple and I can almost correct it with the TV colour correction settings, but I can see that the UI colours - and other still images are fine. It only affects video, and colour display is fine on the other Android TV apps, e.g. Youtube, Netflix etc.

I have narrowed it down to the hardware acceleration options in the Kodi settings. If I turn off MediaCodec (surface), colour is good, red is red. However the lack of acceleration means the video is unwatchable, stuttering and getting out of sync with the sound. Turn on the MediaCodec (surface), and video is smooth but pink/purple. 

I can't find a video addon within Kodi to do colour correction and I have no idea how to troubleshoot the hardware acceleration - other than turn it on or off. Does anyone on the forum experience something similar, or have any tips on resolving this?

In the meantime I can switch back to using the windows machine running Kodi - which appears fine.

Thanks!
Philips tv's are some of the worst possible devices you can buy for video playback and for running Kodi.
They have all sorts of bugs like some tv's only working properly if using RGB colors, video stretching issues, video seeking problems, every 3rd or 4th post in the Kodi forum is about Philips AndroidTV problems.

Things you can try are:
Update to the latest firmware
Use a high quality HDMI Cable
Try changing all the color settings on your tv.
Post a Kodi debug log and a logcat and also send it to Philips' support when you open an issue.
That's funny since I have a Phillips Android TV and there seems to be zero problems with Kodi. Or one little issue is that I can rarely see some microstuttering, but when that happens it is barely noticeable.
Agree with @mo123. I own a Phillips TV too and picture wise it's great, but I'm never installing Kodi on a Phillips TV again. And after experiencing their "support" I'm never buying a Phillips TV at all again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Philips TV - Android TV - MediaCodec (Surface) colour issue0