Kodi is deleting my video files
Hello, I am using Kodi 18.6 x64 on Windows 8.1 pro. I just noticed that Kodi is deleting my video files for unknown reason. It seems the file it deleted are the files cannot retrieve information. For example a video with name 1.mp4 does not contain media information in the file, I put this file in the folder Movie19 which has been added as movie source. In the past, if I go to Video--Files--Movie19, I am able to see 1.mp4 listed. However, I am not able to see anything. and then I open Windows Explorer, browse to movie19 folder, the video file 1.mp4 vanished. I tried a few times, by doing the same steps, the video file is always deleted, not even in the recycle bin.

What is the problem? I noticed this issue on 18.5, and then I updated to 18.6, the issue is still there.
Kodi does not delete video files on its own. You first have to enable deletion in the settings, then you have to press delete, then confirm delete.

Something else is deleting your files.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Perhaps this https://www.easeus.com/file-recovery/sto...sking.html
(2020-05-01, 08:42)newnews Wrote: I just noticed that Kodi is deleting my video files for unknown reason

Any chance that you have installed one or more 'shady' 3rd party add-ons? Because there is no functionality in Kodi itself that warrents these delete actions.
Perhaps the files are perhaps still hidden but not gone (yet)?
In all probability the physical files are still on the drive, but not properly scraped in the library. Please have a look at Video library (wiki) and ensure that "all videos" are selected in the left slide out.
(2020-05-01, 13:56)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-05-01, 08:42)newnews Wrote: I just noticed that Kodi is deleting my video files for unknown reason

Any chance that you have installed one or more 'shady' 3rd party add-ons? Because there is no functionality in Kodi itself that warrents these delete actions.
Perhaps the files are perhaps still hidden but not gone (yet)? 
No, I did not install those addons.
(2020-05-01, 19:44)PatK Wrote: In all probability the physical files are still on the drive, but not properly scraped in the library. Please have a look at Video library (wiki) and ensure that "all videos" are selected in the left slide out.
Some files even some of folders were deleted physically. They are not hidden. I have to copy from my backup harddrive to restore the missing files.
(2020-05-02, 21:43)newnews Wrote: Some files even some of folders were deleted physically.
Unless you've activated in settings>media>general> allow for deletion & renaming of files [advanced or expert mode only ] or perhaps have 'replace names with library titles in the same place under 'video' the files should still exist just a different name.. I'm trying to say this is impossible... well you know this is from my perspective, keep in mind this would be the first case in Kodi' history and as such, pardon me for being somewhat skeptical.

When I was very green, yup it exists, I swore up and down alike a sailor that XBMC was deleting my hard to rip videos, only to find my errors thanks to people in this forum pointing out my idiocy. Most of the trouble was nomenclature, with the scraper placing the wrong name (either spelling, foreign titles, wrong versions back in the day I thought there was only one movie with that title; ha) discovered when I looked and found new movies, I never had. Then of course there was that time when all my movies disappeared as watched when I had the UN-watched filter on. Not to mention changing an entire source off etc.. I've resorted to back-ups, only to find the files later...

I'm a little more careful around the keyboard when Kodi is up (respect is the word). . I use the system clean a lot, look at the number of movies/TV shows to ensure the files are added and triple check any additions or subtractions and as expected, keep multiple Kodi portables. I trust Kodi to function as a media player and librarian but it took quite a while to be comfortable.

Stick with us, for this issue and produce some specific examples, quantity, and what might have triggered this, a proper debug log posted to a public URL would go a long way to demystification.
Smile 
(2020-05-01, 08:42)newnews Wrote: Hello, I am using Kodi 18.6 x64 on Windows 8.1 pro. I just noticed that Kodi is deleting my video files for unknown reason. It seems the file it deleted are the files cannot retrieve information. For example a video with name 1.mp4 does not contain media information in the file, I put this file in the folder Movie19 which has been added as movie source. In the past, if I go to Video--Files--Movie19, I am able to see 1.mp4 listed. However, I am not able to see anything. and then I open Windows Explorer, browse to movie19 folder, the video file 1.mp4 vanished. I tried a few times, by doing the same steps, the video file is always deleted, not even in the recycle bin.

What is the problem? I noticed this issue on 18.5, and then I updated to 18.6, the issue is still there.
As we know Kodi, formerly known as XBMC, is a free and open-source media center for playing videos, music, pictures, games, and more. Kodi users, usually Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, Android, and iOS users, tend to reset Kodi on a regular basis in order to keep it running at peak performance. 
But it does not remove the file during refresh library we have to do some manual steps for this:
Navigate to the title to be removed from the library
Call up the Context Menu
Select Manage
Select the last option Remove from library
When asked Would you really like to remove <title> from library? answer Yes
In Case if your video files permanently deleted so you may try third party utility programs like recuva or stellar data recovery free edition.  These utility programs can recover whole data efficiently.  Thanks.
(2020-05-05, 13:24)sandrajmcgray Wrote: Kodi users, usually Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, Android, and iOS users, tend to reset Kodi on a regular basis in order to keep it running at peak performance.

First time Kodi forum visitors with unrelated remarks like these will be on our radar for the time being.
Choose wisely what you will post next when you want to prolong your stay at this forum.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi is deleting my video files0