How is interlace dealt with differently in 18.6 compared to 18.7 builds
I have an issue with my Sony AG8 OLED 55" TV. When I play back TV programs recorded from DVB-T2 HD channels I see regular interruptions in the video where the whole screen goes black for half a second. 
When build 18.6 was released it cured the issue but there were visible interlace artefacts with movement. No other video player will play these recordings without the black screens (including the TV's in-built player, MX PLayer, etc.).
Now I upgraded to 18.7 the interlace artefacts are gone but the black full screen interruptions are back. Nothing I fiddle with in the settings seems to fix it so I'm wondering what could have changed between the builds so I can get an idea to help Sony de-bug the issue. Currently they don't seem to have any idea.
The only relevant thing I see on the changelog is:
- Fixes around realtime handling of TS streams
but it doesn't say more than that.
Issue gone with that: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk ?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-05-22, 08:10)fritsch Wrote: Issue gone with that: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk ?

It must be a different issue, that version does not cure the black screen interruptions. Thanks anyway.
Okay - that's mainly all we did for Android between 18.6 and 18.7 - wondering.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-05-22, 12:22)fritsch Wrote: Okay - that's mainly all we did for Android between 18.6 and 18.7 - wondering.

Thanks for the info. From my research it seems to be an issue with HD broadcast TS streams from UK transmitters. When they are recorded with both progressive scan and interlace the video is interrupted on playback for about half a second when there is a switch between the two. I have seen this happen on Sony, Phillips and Panasonic 4K TVs. It doesn't happen on any of the HD TVs I have or on PCs etc. The problem shows up when the program was recorded on the TV's own hard disc recorder and also when it's recorded using other, PC-based PVRs (I use TV Mosaic). It does it in the TV's built in player, in MX Player, VLC) I had given up until I installed the stable 18.6 build when it suddenly stopped doing it. There are some de-interlacing artefacts though but that is much better than the black flashes that basically make the show unwatchable.
Do you have any idea what the problem might be please?
(2020-05-22, 13:28)gadgetgaz Wrote:
(2020-05-22, 12:22)fritsch Wrote: Okay - that's mainly all we did for Android between 18.6 and 18.7 - wondering.

Thanks for the info. From my research it seems to be an issue with HD broadcast TS streams from UK transmitters. When they are recorded with both progressive scan and interlace the video is interrupted on playback for about half a second when there is a switch between the two. I have seen this happen on Sony, Phillips and Panasonic 4K TVs. It doesn't happen on any of the HD TVs I have or on PCs etc. The problem shows up when the program was recorded on the TV's own hard disc recorder and also when it's recorded using other, PC-based PVRs (I use TV Mosaic). It does it in the TV's built in player, in MX Player, VLC) I had given up until I installed the stable 18.6 build when it suddenly stopped doing it. There are some de-interlacing artefacts though but that is much better than the black flashes that basically make the show unwatchable.
Do you have any idea what the problem might be please? 

So I've reverted to 18.6 stable and turned off auto-updates in the Playstore.

Hi @fritsch could I trouble you to consider post #5 in this thread? I'd really appreciate your help to try to understand what is happening.
Hope you can find the time, cheers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How is interlace dealt with differently in 18.6 compared to 18.7 builds0