Poll: Which Linux distro should we support next?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
openSUSE
10.84%
Fedora
16.26%
Debian
3.52%
Mint
19.24%
Gentoo
12.47%
Arch
35.50%
Mandriva
0%
Other (reply to post which)
0.27%
Ubuntu is enough, thank you
1.90%
Total
369 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

• 2(current)
Which Linux distro should XBMC officially support next?
openSUSE 11.0

Wink
Ubuntu is enough... thankyou... ?!? .. how does that compute with opensource and collaborationHuh?...
nesnomis Wrote:Ubuntu is enough... thankyou... ?!? .. how does that compute with opensource and collaborationHuh?...

you don't have to select a choice just because it's there you know

that choice basically means, no need we're good already
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I don't think it would be too difficult to support ANY distro. There just needs to be someone (or a small group) who is skilled enough to identify and debug problems that are distro specific on their own and report what needs fixed to the dev team.
There is already an ebuild for gentoo tested working on both x86 and amd64, rpm x86 packages for opensuse, x86 pkg.tar.gz for archlinux and I'm sure others that I don't know about. Keep in mind that for the time being they are all unsupported.
Given Mint is theoretically a streamlined version of Ubuntu. I suspect it wouldn't take much work to get that to the Ubuntu level. I might be over simplifying things though.
ArchLinux!
Being an Arch User myself, I of course vote Arch Linux. :-DZeq
Please make XBMC for arch linux stable. It's imposible compile it correctly...
Gentoo imho is the best distro for development. I see that most threads on here are "I use xyz, support xyz" but if you want a base distro to test your project in the development phase and have users that are a little more apt to debug/contribute then I would go with Gentoo. Also Gentoo is great for livecds/liveusbs.
As someone fairly new to Linux, I've been trying lots of liveusb distros (dsl, x/ubuntu, pendrive linux, mandriva etc etc....), by far the easiest, simplest and best I've found in Fedora (FC9).

There's a very easy live usb creator, which makes a persistent liveusb stick, which left plenty of space on my 1gb key. This would be perfect for a new (to linux) user, they could easily create the fedora liveusb stick, boot it up and install xbmc from yum or similar.

Of course a complete xbmc live usb distro would be the best, but while the ati driver support is not there, for a fair % of us this is a non-starter
Question 
Hi,

Im sure this has been asked before but i couldnt find a "current" thread on it.

I am a old XBMC user on the original Xbox. I quit using it as I wanted a way to record TV & play HD. So about 2 years ago I moved the MythTV and am quite happy but the Music and Videos section of Myth is lacking. I was browsing the net and noticed there has been signification progress made on porting XBMC. I would like to add a menu option to launch XBMC for video and music (i know this is possible and I know how to do this part) BUT...

On my linux box I have always ran Fedora but recently switched to CentOS for stability/release cycle. In my two years of Linux experience almost all *nix programs can be compiled for any distro. Now that I have come back to XBMC I see Ubuntu is the only supported distro. Can someone explain why this is? Is there techinacal reason or is it just for support simplicity?

2 years ago when I started Mythmost support for Myth was on Fedora so I gravitated to it. Over time the support has been balancing (ie since Mythbuntu) but both are still very supported. I dont want to move to Ubuntu as that would be a TOTAL PITA!

Is there anything technically preventing a third party packing rpms up?
Will the code not work?
What are the plans in the future?

Any info is appriciated.

Thanks!
Mitchell
Its the only "Supported" because its easy to limit newbs to one it can run on pretty much anything these days but we currently only ship precompiled versions for ubuntu to save our selfs a support nightmare on 100 different type of linux installs that we have no access too or use

You are free to run it on whatever linux version you like but official bug and compiling help only currently is for ubuntu
ok, so is there any documentation on the dependencies to compile XBMC?

Thanks!
README.linux Smile
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
At least use that as a starting point. You may also want to look at the other linux forum posts of the other users that have compiled on other distros.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

• 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Linux distro should XBMC officially support next?1