Can not connect to browse shares in my Kodi on Android Media Player
I am sorry if there is an answer already here for this I have searched & found similar but no answers. I have a WIN10 OS Desk Top that failed & I had to have WIn10 reinstalled. Since then I have not been able to connect to Kodi in my Android Media Player.
I am not sure if I have set up Windows correctly but I think it is right. I can go to Kodi/Video/Files/Add Videos/Browse/ & I can go to Windows Network smb/Workgroup/ My Computer name shows but when I click it says ERROR  Connection timed out.
In the past when this was working OK on my Computer before the failure, I could get that message if the PC wasn't on or Protected Sharing had password needed turned on in advanced share settings in Windows. Obviously that is off in those settings currenly.
What have I done & what can I do please anybody? Have i still got something wrong in my PC? It shows in the Network in Explorer & wifi is definitely connected to Player.
Windows / Microsoft has shifted its Samba (SMB) version from v1 to v2 because of the big security holes in v1. Those have been ignored for a long time, but now with SMBv2 a few changes have emerged. First, network browsing has been removed, and also the user in Windows doing the sharing, will require full credentials, meaning it has to have a password active.

Kodi defaults to SMBv2 and upwards (although using SMBv1 is still possible), but you'll need to use "Add a network location..." to connect to your network shares.
(2020-06-27, 06:33)Klojum Wrote: Windows / Microsoft has shifted its Samba (SMB) version from v1 to v2 because of the big security holes in v1. Those have been ignored for a long time, but now with SMBv2 a few changes have emerged. First, network browsing has been removed, and also the user in Windows doing the sharing, will require full credentials, meaning it has to have a password active.

Kodi defaults to SMBv2 and upwards (although using SMBv1 is still possible), but you'll need to use "Add a network location..." to connect to your network shares.

Thank you for the prompt reply Klojum
Not sure I know what to do here then. Are you saying set Windows to need passwords? If so where in Kodi do you put a password?
Also add a network location? Sorry how do I do that & what is the location? Is that my PC name? If so it is already there.
(2020-06-27, 09:21)hutchyl Wrote: Are you saying set Windows to need passwords?
A password is one option to make life difficult for hackers. So far, everyone accessing your Windows PC was able to walk right through, no questions asked. That is not very secure.

(2020-06-27, 09:21)hutchyl Wrote: Also add a network location? S
This option will present itself in Kodi when you use "Add videos" and then use the Browse button. Then look at the bottom of the listing. Once you entered that section, credentials for your Windows file share need to be filled in, incl that password, and then "things should work" ™.
(2020-06-27, 09:30)Klojum Wrote:
A password is one option to make life difficult for hackers. So far, everyone accessing your Windows PC was able to walk right through, no questions asked. That is not very secure.
This option will present itself in Kodi when you use "Add videos" and then use the Browse button. Then look at the bottom of the listing. Once you entered that section, credentials for your Windows file share need to be filled in, incl that password, and then "things should work" ™.
Crikey quick reply thanks. I will give this a go & see what happens. I will get back tomorrow (Australian time) once I have given it a try.
(2020-06-27, 09:33)hutchyl Wrote:
(2020-06-27, 09:30)Klojum Wrote:
Crikey quick reply thanks. I will give this a go & see what happens. I will get back tomorrow (Australian time) once I have given it a try.
No sorry didn't work for me. I honestly didn't have a clue what I was supposed to put in the the boxes. Now I have deleted kodi & thought I would load it again & Play store just sticks on "waiting to download" so I don't have Kodi. Stuffed up I think!
I tried to load it through a browser & it says it is installed in my media player but I have no idea where ah well that's life.
I'm sorry I just am not getting anywhere with my problem. I have tried many things as shown in this forum but to no avail. I am 77 years old & not silly but I don't get some of the stuff described in these forums & need plain English.
This is what has happened to me. I have an A95X media box & have used it for a long time to stream movies from my shared folders in my Desktop PC to our TV. I have a big failure with the PC that I could put down to a Win10 update because it was around then. I had to have as much as I could get saved then the repairer installed new Win10. Since then I can open Kodi go to videos/files/add videos/browse/windows network smb/Workgroup and  my PC appears with other network stuff. I click on it & a message comes up "Connection refused" If I OK & click on my PC again another message comes up "Connection Timed Out". I have my network sharing set as I always have on my computer. I know you can get the timed out message if you have Password required checked because on previous updates this has become checked afterwards. I can get to my computer with VLC media Player but I get a bit of jumping on the screen with that & certainly never with Kodi. Does anyone have a clue pleaseHuh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can not connect to browse shares in my Kodi on Android Media Player0