Little confused about the News item.
Referring to September 23 news item.

I am a little confused as to why the news item is pushing something that (as best I can understand it) is not allowed in the Kodi repo. This appears to be pointed at Disney+ type sources but last I checked those types of addons are not allowed in the Kodi repo.
(2020-09-27, 00:05)Lazlow Wrote: Referring to September 23 news item.

There is a difference between getting the 'streams' directly and officially from your own ISP along with a valid subscription login, and, the "3rd party" streams that you receive from anyone else without any user verification.

Same as for example the Netflix add-on, which is not an official Kodi add-on, but it's being "tolerated" for now.
(2020-09-27, 07:36)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-09-27, 00:05)Lazlow Wrote: Referring to September 23 news item.

There is a difference between getting the 'streams' directly and officially from your own ISP along with a valid subscription login, and, the "3rd party" streams that you receive from anyone else without any user verification.

Same as for example the Netflix add-on, which is not an official Kodi add-on, but it's being "tolerated" for now.
I am not suggesting pirate type stuff. It is inconsistent to push this in the news and yet ban it from the official repo.
There's loads of addons that are used and discussed while, for whatever reason, not available or allowed in the official repo.

Not necessarily conflicting in my eyes.
Not all third party addons are banned, there are plenty of unofficial add-ons that don't break the DRM that are subscription-based that are not endorsed by the content provider, but are obviously 'tolerated' by said providers. Some of these end up in the Kodi repo, and some don't - Team Kodi has rules on what is and isn't allowed in the official repo.

Piracy addons are banned no matter what, there are plenty of LEGAL third-party add-ons that aren't in the Kodi repo but are available on this very forum.

To quote @Atreyu Not neccesarily conflicting.
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
If I remember the discussions well, the key point is the requirement for Widevine, which is a closed source blob that we cannot host or provide directly.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Little confused about the News item.0