Help improving add-on and Python coding skills
First, a little backstory. I have been dabbling with add-on development for Kodi since 2017 when I started to contribute to Rob Loach’s lutris-kodi-addon. Lately I have taken over maintenance of the add-on and rewritten it using Python functions and made it Python 3 compatible for Kodi v19. I have, however, realised that I want to improve the add-on (add features, less spagettification, more idiomatic code) and to do so I should improve my skills.

By asking for help I am not really looking for resources to improve my general coding abilities. There are a lot of resources on the web and I feel I no problems finding what I think I need. I have looked at and used parts of the examples on the wiki under add-on development. However, I feel like I have progressed past what is covered on the wiki.

What I am looking for are:
  • examples of not to complex and well-written plugin add-ons which I can look at (especially use of classes and making pages)
  • examples of good ways to organise my add-on code (making my own libraries, splitting the main .py-file into several files) 
  • any Kodi libraries I could be using which will make the development easier or more readable

I don’t have any formal training in programming, but I feel I can read and understand most code given time. I am acutely aware that there is a lot of domain knowledge I am probably missing and that some things I struggle with probably is quite obvious to someone with more knowledge.

I hope by posting this that someone here on the forum has the time to help point me in the right direction.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help improving add-on and Python coding skills0