Passthrough audio not used for HDR media
Hi, I'm new here and would really appreciate some help with a Kodi problem I've been having.

When playing 4k/HDR media, Kodi doesn't use the passthrough audio. Checking the signal on the receiver shows PCM and the number of channels in my output configuration.

Simply toggling "allow passthrough" in the audio settings fixes the problem, and the receiver then shows the correct bitstreamed audio format with the correct number of channels.

think the problem is that when the TV switches to HDR, it momentarily loses the HDCP handshake and passthrough audio is not possible. That said, I have no idea how to fix this (an EDID override has no effect).

Details below:

Kodi: 19.0 - Beta2 (18.9.821)
Windows: 10 Pro, 2020H2 (19042.685)
CPU: Intel Core i5-9400
RAM: 16GB
Display: LG CX
AVR: Marantz SR6011

Connection is HTPC -> AVR -> TV. 

GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630. Driver version: 27.20.100.9079
Audio: Intel Display Audio. Driver version: 10.27.0.9

Debug log: https://paste.kodi.tv/huwesoleqo.kodi
Mediainfo: https://paste.kodi.tv/uzogepaqof
your AVR reports as a 2.0 device in the log, i'd say you need to get that sorted first.
usually that means reinstalling HDMI audio driver which should be part of the GPU driver.
preferably by using DDU from safemode with network disconnected.
(2021-01-07, 15:56)ciukacz Wrote: your AVR reports as a 2.0 device in the log, i'd say you need to get that sorted first.
usually that means reinstalling HDMI audio driver which should be part of the GPU driver.
preferably by using DDU from safemode with network disconnected.

Thanks for pointing that out. As I was investigating this driver, I noticed that I also have a Realtek Audio device for the SPDIF output. On a whim, I disabled this device - and that seems to have fixed the problem.

The AVR still reports 2 channels in the debug log, but HD audio now works as expected with Kodi (even with surround channels).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Passthrough audio not used for HDR media0