Android tv Kodi 19.0
End user consideration is not leaving them with apps using depreciated and over time increasingly insecure components like Python 2.

There are many addons that have been updated to Python 3 and work fine in Matrix. Most of the others are either abandoned by their authors (and so arguably due for a clean-up anyway) or the kind of banned addons (wiki) that we do not support or want around anyway.

We are fully aware that most users don't read the forums, but a large proportion of the addon authors do. And they are the ones who need to take the action to update their work so the end users can continue to make use of them. They've had over 2 years notice that the change was going to happen, and over a years worth of pre-release versions of Matrix for testing purposes.

In the end, the requirements for security of our end users devices is not something that we can hold up waiting for the author community to do their part. The period given was more than enough for many of them, and so progress had to continue. Should people want to override that by staying on or downgrading back to Leia, that's up to them, but they are leaving themselves open to future issues when security holes are found in Python 2 (as they inevitably will be) and those will not be patched or fixed as Python 2 is depreciated.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I'm afraid, NO, you are wrong. If update to Python 3 was a security priority, you SHOULD have done that way before. The problem is not WHEN you do the upgrade, rather than HOW you do the upgrade. You should have warned end users, so they have the time to take actions to prevent automatic upgrade (and even for that, disable automatic upgrade for ALL apps isn't a good idea).

Don't insinuate I'm using banned addons. I'm not. I'm using Aeon MQ 8 skin which is not supported on Matrix. As I said, from what I see, there are NO other skins available. I'm left with the default skin, and a whole family complaining because it has lost ease of use.

I don't want to know if addon developers had 20 years to upgrade, I, as an end-user, want to have the choice. And clearly, by KNOWING that Google Play does automatic updates by default, and not warning USERS some time before, you clearly didn't give the choice.
(2021-03-02, 01:39)sierramike Wrote: I'm afraid, NO, you are wrong. If update to Python 3 was a security priority, you SHOULD have done that way before. The problem is not WHEN you do the upgrade, rather than HOW you do the upgrade. You should have warned end users, so they have the time to take actions to prevent automatic upgrade (and even for that, disable automatic upgrade for ALL apps isn't a good idea).

Don't insinuate I'm using banned addons. I'm not. I'm using Aeon MQ 8 skin which is not supported on Matrix. As I said, from what I see, there are NO other skins available. I'm left with the default skin, and a whole family complaining because it has lost ease of use.

I don't want to know if addon developers had 20 years to upgrade, I, as an end-user, want to have the choice. And clearly, by KNOWING that Google Play does automatic updates by default, and not warning USERS some time before, you clearly didn't give the choice.
You should take your complains to Google. Kodi has nothing to do with idiots not knowing how to tick a box on Google Play to disable automatic updates. 

Also, the default skin it's the least complicated, convoluted skin there is.
(2021-03-02, 01:39)sierramike Wrote: I'm afraid, NO, you are wrong. If update to Python 3 was a security priority, you SHOULD have done that way before. The problem is not WHEN you do the upgrade, rather than HOW you do the upgrade. You should have warned end users, so they have the time to take actions to prevent automatic upgrade (and even for that, disable automatic upgrade for ALL apps isn't a good idea).

Why don't, you just go back to Kodi 18.

and how exactly should the team warn usersHuh I mean, clearly, a bunch of you registered here now just to complain. If you were actually just once in the last 2 years or so visited homepage of the FREE product you all like so much you could find all the info there.
And as an end user you have a choice, delete KODI and move onto something else.
(2021-02-27, 14:01)FXB78 Wrote:
(2021-02-27, 13:54)thewarm Wrote: PS - I wish someone would develop the extended info addon for 19. I really miss that feature!
Didn't it pretty much get replaced by TMDB Helper & Embuary Helper? Perhaps try one of those instead.
No. I miss highlighting an actor and launching into TMDB for their Biography.
(2021-03-02, 11:54)kinggo Wrote:

and how exactly should the team warn usersHuh I mean, clearly, a bunch of you registered here now just to complain. If you were actually just once in the last 2 years or so visited homepage of the FREE product you all like so much you could find all the info there.
And as an end user you have a choice, delete KODI and move onto something else.
sierramike has been a member of the forum for 8 years, yet somehow didn't know about Matrix or how Kodi releases work, despite presumably having been through several in the past 8 years or more. He also complains that his skin no longer works, which is par for the course on EVERY Kodi release, regardless of the whole python 2/3 switch. Quite bizarre really.
not bizarre....ignorance is bliss.....don't care, don't wanna know, don't wanna bother with it..........and then......wait, what? why? how?

Dunno why ppl think that KODI team should be responsible for 3rd party plugins/skins. KODI works just fine. Even android version with no maintainer. And on SONY TV.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android tv Kodi 19.00