Android tv Kodi 19.0
(2021-02-25, 12:34)Beldis Wrote: Hi!

Any of you with Android TV has this problem?:

My Mi Box 3 autoupdated to Kodi 19 and the official repo shows very few categories and few addons.
360782 (thread)

Thanks!
Yep, I gave up and uninstalled Kodi and reinstalled again. Even clearing app data wasn't solution to make Kodi work properly. When I only cleared, I couldn't change skin, language and install any addon... I can paste my error log from situation that I couldn't even start Kodi before clearing app data. Also not all addons are updated to this Python 3 EVEN IN OFFICIAL REPOSITORY, so I strongly not recommend to update Kodi to v19. It's like you do an automatic update Windows XP to 10...  Which is not possible because of incompatibility... I wonder why.
Not all the addon in the official repo are written by Team Kodi, indeed probably most of them aren't.

So even if they're included in the Leia repo, if their author has not updated them and submitted that update then they won't be available in the Matrix one.

Being in the repo means we (Team Kodi) have checked them and verified their security and adherence with our piracy policy (wiki). It doesn't mean we maintain or authored them...
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I have to put my 2 cents in two at this point.  My kodi also autoupdated through the play store and now like many others (and I've read the posts) most of my addons aren't working.  I've been with Kodi since I was sideloading it on a Boxee as XBMC.   I'm downgrading to Lei until something is done.  After years I had the perfect setup and replicated it on a couple network streamers connected to my NAS, Titan skin, Pandora, Iheart radio and Plex.  Every Kodi update worked well until 19 and the script change.  None work now as well as a few others not as important.  Tried updating and alternatives like plex connect and nothing works.  Its not worth it to have to search and tweak again after years of perfection are destroyed in a single update. And the snarky comments are no help, I realize this is a free program and a lot of hard work and we all appreciate it!  But this destruction of functionality is a dealbreaker
(2021-02-25, 17:24)bardmayhew64 Wrote: But this destruction of functionality is a dealbreaker
Technology moves on, everybody knows that. There is no 'destruction of functionality'. Do you think we should've stuck with Windows 95 & Nokia 3310 phones as well? Or maybe even the Commodore 64? Of course not, we move with the times and things get out-dated.
(2021-02-25, 17:29)FXB78 Wrote:
(2021-02-25, 17:24)bardmayhew64 Wrote: But this destruction of functionality is a dealbreaker
Technology moves on, everybody knows that. There is no 'destruction of functionality'. Do you think we should've stuck with Windows 95 & Nokia 3310 phones as well? Or maybe even the Commodore 64? Of course not, we move with the times and things get out-dated.
Of course technology moves on and I always like to use the newest possible. I just think that Kodi 19 should be published as separate app with option to migrate profile from v18 giving users possibility to choose which version they want to use, because the newest is less functionable for now and for people who have old profiles (such as myself) there are problems with update... Since v18 is running without problems I think forcing to update to v19 is not a great move. Most of users have automatic updates turn on and disabling it just for Kodi is ridiculus.
Kodi 18 (and earlier) is basically a rising security risk due to the use of Python 2.

We cannot and will not in good conscience leave users on an insecure system, as if there was to be an event via a Python 2 security hole then we would get the blame.

Most people would not update anything unless they were forced to (which is why the Play Store has updates on by default), so the hole would be there and growing forever.

The functionality of Matrix will increase as the current addons which are Python 2 are forked and/or updated to Python 3. Those that aren't are obviously not being cared for by their authors and no-one wants to step up to them, so there's an argument that they should be retired anyway. All of this has the effect of cleaning things out and removing a lot of those unsupported addons.

And to be honest, many of the complaints we are getting are from users whose banned addons (wiki) are no longer working and they can no longer get their pirated movies and TV shows. And in those cases we have absolutely no sympathy and are quite happy if they uninstall Kodi and stop blackening our brand name.

For those of you who are not in that category but have addons which have not yet been updated, then the way to go is to contact the addon authors (many will have threads here) and ask them to update their addons. If they are active then they may do so, and if they are not then unless things are forked then those addons are unsupported and longer-term would be broken anyway at some point. Many authors are actively doing that now (some don't do it until final versions of Kodi are released), but in this case it's belated due to the necessary Python migration causing a breaking change.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
But, I can’t understand why is possible to use my skin (Aeon Nox Silvo) in my Mac but not in my Nvidia Shield (Both 19.0).
There are no skins available in Kodi repository right now. Even Simple Client is not available (and again I’m using it in my Mac).
(2021-02-24, 00:11)vgto Wrote: So you decided to publish completely different version with major changes, without any old addon support, as normal update, which most of us have it set to automatic, without any warning that everything could be lost? That's wise. This should be published as separate app on store with option to migrate data from old v18. I've got it automatically updated to v19 on Sony ATV with only 4 addons and 1 skin - all from official repository - and library on Windows NFS Server. That's really basic setup. Kodi is crashing 10 seconds after dashboard appears and I can't do anything. The skin is back to Estuary of course. I guess the only option now is to clear data and start over with setup. Thanks.
It actually is worst than that. Kodi pushes the version 19 into your computer either you want it or not. I have Nvidia Pro (3) and at least once a day Kodi 19 is installing itself. There is NO add-ons nor skins that work with this version, as far as I know. It is just USELESS for now. I just wonder, who was a genius to push this release on us.
(2021-02-24, 00:18)Sidewinder_2011 Wrote:
(2021-02-24, 00:11)vgto Wrote: So you decided to publish completely different version with major changes, without any old addon support, as normal update, which most of us have it set to automatic, without any warning that everything could be lost? That's wise. This should be published as separate app on store with option to migrate data from old v18. I've got it automatically updated to v19 on Sony ATV with only 4 addons and 1 skin - all from official repository - and library on Windows NFS Server. That's really basic setup. Kodi is crashing 10 seconds after dashboard appears and I can't do anything. The skin is back to Estuary of course. I guess the only option now is to clear data and start over with setup. Thanks.

Addon devs had plenty of time to update your addons. Its not kodi 19 fault because they don't work. What addons don't work then ? Also user had plenty of notice too that some old addons that uses python 2 won't work. Unless they get updates.

What addons don't work ?
The problem is that we are being FORCED to update to Kodi 19 while NO add-ons work in it. New version comes up, GREAT, let us decide if we want it or not.
When NONE of the add-ond DO NOT work then IT IS A DESTRUCTION OF FUNCTIONALITY. Nothing works therefore FUNCTIONALITY is GONE!!!
(2021-02-25, 18:31)DarrenHill Wrote: Kodi 18 (and earlier) is basically a rising security risk due to the use of Python 2.

We cannot and will not in good conscience leave users on an insecure system, as if there was to be an event via a Python 2 security hole then we would get the blame.

Most people would not update anything unless they were forced to (which is why the Play Store has updates on by default), so the hole would be there and growing forever.

The functionality of Matrix will increase as the current addons which are Python 2 are forked and/or updated to Python 3. Those that aren't are obviously not being cared for by their authors and no-one wants to step up to them, so there's an argument that they should be retired anyway. All of this has the effect of cleaning things out and removing a lot of those unsupported addons.

And to be honest, many of the complaints we are getting are from users whose banned addons (wiki) are no longer working and they can no longer get their pirated movies and TV shows. And in those cases we have absolutely no sympathy and are quite happy if they uninstall Kodi and stop blackening our brand name.

For those of you who are not in that category but have addons which have not yet been updated, then the way to go is to contact the addon authors (many will have threads here) and ask them to update their addons. If they are active then they may do so, and if they are not then unless things are forked then those addons are unsupported and longer-term would be broken anyway at some point. Many authors are actively doing that now (some don't do it until final versions of Kodi are released), but in this case it's belated due to the necessary Python migration causing a breaking change.
This is all nice and dandy, but we have to have a choice to migrate to version 19 or not. You are just forcing the update on us and telling us " take it or live it".
(2021-02-25, 22:02)andrzejls Wrote:
When NONE of the add-ond DO NOT work then IT IS A DESTRUCTION OF FUNCTIONALITY. Nothing works therefore FUNCTIONALITY is GONE!!!
But that is not true actually.  Many addons are working, but not in Android TV. Why? Maybe a problem with the official repository?
(2021-02-25, 21:58)andrzejls Wrote: The problem is that we are being FORCED to update
Really, forced by whom? No, Android users are ignoring to disable auto-update functionality of their Android device.

(2021-02-25, 21:58)andrzejls Wrote: while NO add-ons work in it.
Again: WHICH add-ons? Don't bother nagging about 3rd party add-ons. Developers have warned almost 1.5 years ago to adapt their add-ons. Now that moment is here.

(2021-02-25, 21:58)andrzejls Wrote: New version comes up, GREAT, let us decide if we want it or not.
Disable auto updates in Android. We have no control over Android's application distribution.
(2021-02-25, 21:58)andrzejls Wrote:
(2021-02-24, 00:18)Sidewinder_2011 Wrote:

Addon devs had plenty of time to update your addons. Its not kodi 19 fault because they don't work. What addons don't work then ? Also user had plenty of notice too that some old addons that uses python 2 won't work. Unless they get updates.

What addons don't work ?
The problem is that we are being FORCED to update to Kodi 19 while NO add-ons work in it. New version comes up, GREAT, let us decide if we want it or not.

On my android phone ,Windows 2in1 tablet and htpc, i was never forced to update, I did it all manually, and it working perfectly like always.
(2021-02-25, 22:10)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-02-25, 21:58)andrzejls Wrote: The problem is that we are being FORCED to update
Really, forced by whom? No, Android users are ignoring to disable auto-update functionality of their Android device.
(2021-02-25, 21:58)andrzejls Wrote: while NO add-ons work in it.
Again: WHICH add-ons? Don't bother nagging about 3rd party add-ons. Developers have warned almost 1.5 years ago to adapt their add-ons. Now that moment is here.
(2021-02-25, 21:58)andrzejls Wrote: New version comes up, GREAT, let us decide if we want it or not.
Disable auto updates in Android. We have no control over Android's application distribution.
Well, I have 3 (Three) Nvidia Pro boxes. At least once a day when I open Kodi it goes to installation of the kodi 19. I DISABLED ALL auto-updates and still updates itself. Who is forcing this?, KODI must have build in code to look for latest version and update. So, please do not tell me that it is my fault, it is Kodi that is forcing the update. There is plenty of guys with Nvidia and the have same problem. This just needs to be fixed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android tv Kodi 19.00