TV Shows: The Movie Database vs. Sonarr
A couple of months ago, following Kodi's lead, I adopted the Movie Database as my TV show scraper.
However, Sonarr seems to be clinging to the TheTVDB with no plans to support others scrapers at current.

There are many discrepancies between the Movie Database and TheTVDB and the divergence will only continue to grow as time goes on.
In practice, this makes it impossible to use Kodi (with the Movie Database scraper) and Sonarr together.

Since, I only used Sonarr to ensure I wasn't missing any episodes, this is not a huge loss for me but it has got me pondering on the subject.

I looked into some alternatives that support the Movie Database and haven't found anything quite like Sonarr.
Bobarr looks interesting but, being quite new, it is lacking a lot of features and is kind of pain to run on Windows (I have it running in an Ubuntu VM at current).

Are you sticking with the TheTVDB on Kodi, ditching Sonarr or something else?
If you're using Sonarr to create the metadata what's the problem?
(2021-03-01, 19:40)Hitcher Wrote: If you're using Sonarr to create the metadata what's the problem?

The discrepancies are so great they affect the actual file layout.

Take the show Reno 911! for example.
On the Movie DB, the original series and reboot are two separate TV shows. Therefore, I have two folders for it, one for the original series and one with the reboot (starting at S01).
However, on TheTVDB, it is just one TV show, where the first season of the reboot is S07.

So now I end up in a situation where Sonarr indicates I'm missing an entire season and I have no way to actually catalog the reboot.
This is just one example.
I still don't understand what the problem is.

What Hitcher says is valid, if you are using sonarr to create your nfo files, Kodi does not care what order your files and nfo files are in, as long as they match each other.

I am struggling to see how this affects Kodi, and we don't really care what problems there are in Sonarr. There is the Sonarr forum for that.

What is the exact problem you are experiencing in Kodi?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Ah sorry, I misunderstood Hitcher's comment.
I am not using Sonarr to create nfo files, I am using Sonarr and Kodi independently on a set of video files.
As I said, I am just using Sonarr to detect missing episodes (since Kodi doesn't have that feature built-in or available via an add-on, as far as I know).

I am not experiencing a problem in Kodi, this post was just meant to start a discussion.
I figured this classified as Kodi related discussion, due to the decision to move to the Movie Database.
(2021-03-01, 20:54)bejhan Wrote: I am just using Sonarr to detect missing episodes (since Kodi doesn't have that feature built-in or available via an add-on, as far as I know).
ok. Understand. And no, Kodi does not have the ability to detect missing episodes.

(2021-03-01, 20:54)bejhan Wrote: I figured this classified as Kodi related discussion, due to the decision to move to the Movie Database.
Sure. But Kodi has not recently decided to move to TMDB. TMDB became the default TV Show scraper back in 2017, if memory serves me correctly.

The only new issue now is TVDB moving to a subscription model and updating the API to v4, while simultaneously closing down API v1, 2 & 3. This will break all existing TVDB scrapers created by Team Kodi. This will happen in the next couple of months. But all going well, TVDB will have a brand new and shiny TVDB scraper, created by Team TVDB, that users can update to.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-03-01, 22:10)Karellen Wrote: Sure. But Kodi has not recently decided to move to TMDB. TMDB became the default TV Show scraper back in 2017, if memory serves me correctly.
I didn't realize it was that long ago, I guess I'm way behind the times.
(2021-03-01, 22:10)Karellen Wrote: The only new issue now is TVDB moving to a subscription model and updating the API to v4, while simultaneously closing down API v1, 2 & 3. This will break all existing TVDB scrapers created by Team Kodi. This will happen in the next couple of months. But all going well, TVDB will have a brand new and shiny TVDB scraper, created by Team TVDB, that users can update to.
I also didn't realize that it was still going to be possible to use TheTVDB indefinitely.
In that case, perhaps I'll move back to TheTVDB at some point so that I can continue using Sonarr.

Thanks for the info!
(2021-03-01, 20:54)bejhan Wrote: I am just using Sonarr to detect missing episodes

Just un-monitor the problem ones or, as it looks like you might, stick with tvdb.
(2021-03-01, 22:10)Karellen Wrote: The only new issue now is TVDB moving to a subscription model and updating the API to v4, while simultaneously closing down API v1, 2 & 3. This will break all existing TVDB scrapers created by Team Kodi. This will happen in the next couple of months. But all going well, TVDB will have a brand new and shiny TVDB scraper, created by Team TVDB, that users can update to.

Is there somewhere I can follow the progress / get updates on this?
(2021-03-02, 00:55)bejhan Wrote: Is there somewhere I can follow the progress / get updates on this?
Unfortunately not. I am aware that work has commenced on the scraper, but we have not yet been contacted to test it yet.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV Shows: The Movie Database vs. Sonarr0