learning KODI
Hi all,
I'm trying very hard to not beak any rules so if there is anything wrong with this please let me know so I can fix it or delete it, I don't want to get into any trouble.
I have a laptop with my movies and videos on it.

I have Kodi 18.six Leia installed on a fire stick connected to my tv.

The tv is an LG that has WebOs operating system and lets me play my movies from my laptop on the tv through the media center I created by sharing a folder with the tv.
But WebOS wont let me add Kodi so I needed a streaming stick.

The WebOs player stinks though and I have little control, so I thought maybe Kodi would be better for this.

I want to learn how I can point my Kodi from the firestick plugged into my tv to my laptops media folder so I can use Kodi to organize and play my movies.
Is there a way to tell Kodi where my videos are ?

While I Was looking to work this out I ran across Plex? I Set this up and it seems to work and solve my problems plus I can use it in the WebOs rather than the fire stick, BUT this is just bypassing Kodi, I still dont know how to point Kodi on the firestick to my laptop media server.

I'm sure this can be done, but I'm having a tough time working it out so far.

any help would be great!!
Thanks for reading this much.
Thread moved to Android, as Firesticks don't run Windows.

You will need to share the folders where the media is stored on your PC (from Windows usually via CIFS/SAMBA), and then on the firestick add that share as a new source.

This page may help you get started - HOW-TO:Create Video Library (wiki)

There's a lot of useful info on the wiki which may also be worth a read - see some of the links in my signature below.

Note that getting SMB to work between Windows and Android seems to be a little "tricky" at the moment, so if you have issues come back and we'll see what we can do to get you unstuck.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-03-07, 20:15)DarrenHill Wrote: Thread moved to Android, as Firesticks don't run Windows.

You will need to share the folders where the media is stored on your PC (from Windows usually via CIFS/SAMBA), and then on the firestick add that share as a new source.

This page may help you get started - HOW-TO:Create Video Library (wiki)

There's a lot of useful info on the wiki which may also be worth a read - see some of the links in my signature below.

Note that getting SMB to work between Windows and Android seems to be a little "tricky" at the moment, so if you have issues come back and we'll see what we can do to get you unstuck.

Sorry about that BUT the media I want to access is on my Win 10 laptop so I thought that was where I needed to be, Kodi is on my firestick and plex is on both.
(2021-03-07, 20:01)lumper Wrote: this can be done, but I'm having a tough time working it out so far.
Shouldn't be too difficult, follow this set-up wiki SMB (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
learning KODI0