Fanart taking up all my memory
Hey,

Im seriously considering upgrading my RAM in my xbox to 128. Im assuming this will help XBMC to work better with such things as fanart and increasing my thumbnail cache size? Can anyone who has the extra memory confirm this will benefit me.

Up to recently I have set my thumbcache to 512 which is incredible on 720p and fanart looks outstanding on my xbox. Problem is I'm getting crashes, videos not playing and thumbnails not appearing and disappearing all over the place. Seems to be the 64 Ram causing this.

Thanks
Smile 
Im so sorry realised I put this in the bug section only now. Can we get this moved to support sorry once again. :o
yes its a memory problem, but not necessarily because you set your thumbsize to 512. if im not mistaken, the fanart is always cached as a 1280x720 image, not the thumbsize. i remember reading a post from jmarshall about that not too long ago. ill search to verify.

anyway, i think the problem is likely the imagelib dll being loaded and trying to cache the fanart image. i thought there was error handling for the exhaustion of memory by a dll which should prevent a crash, but you'll not get the fanart because it never can get cached.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Just to add some info:

I'm using 480i with PM3. On certain TV shows, with Fanart enabled, I can only play an episode if it is the first video played after boot. To play subsequent episodes, I need to reboot.
Will the 128 ram benefit current builds of xbmc. I know I read before that it didn't help performance on the xbox. I was just thinking that with cross platform support that the increase on the xbox will be used in much the same way as Windows or Linux?
you should look into the windows or linux versions mate, really starting to work well.
Exclamation 
BreEil Wrote:you should look into the windows or linux versions mate, really starting to work well.

thanks, thats a fantastic solution. Confused

It seems fanart is a no go on the xbox ? jeez i was really looking forward to it with media stream!
resize your fanart to 960X540 .jpgs, delete the videodb and your thumbnail cache and then re-scan the library. Works fine for me with MS .94, latest t3ch, and 512 thumbs. I use IRFANVIEW for batch image re-sizing
joebrady Wrote:resize your fanart to 960X540 .jpgs, delete the videodb and your thumbnail cache and then re-scan the library. Works fine for me with MS .94, latest t3ch, and 512 thumbs. I use IRFANVIEW for batch image re-sizing

This worked for me too, but i resize my to 1280x720 (bitmap) and have no memory problems (also make sure that the fanart in>UserData>Thumbnails>Video>Fanart is also reszied)

BTW i'm running Horizons Aeon mod @720p.
PJ_Hooker Wrote:This worked for me too, but i resize my to 1280x720 (bitmap) and have no memory problems (also make sure that the fanart in>UserData>Thumbnails>Video>Fanart is also reszied)

BTW i'm running Horizons Aeon mod @720p.

I had to do this recently as the last couple of builds by t3ch or sshcs are crapping out with fan art. This is really the first time I experienced all these anomalies while playing vid. Either they won't start with an error msg; party mode cancelled (even though I never started it), or they go to black screen. Resizing my fanart to 960x540 .bmp (double whammy!) immediately solved this problem. However r25561 is still effed up since arnova forced dvdplayer so falling back to 12-9 t3ch for the forseeable future.

Question though. What do you mean by 'also'. Thumb->vid->fanart is all I deleted and everything works fine.

Also, wonder why it is recommended to delete videodb and do rescan. I loathe rescan because i have too many foreign that are incorrectly tagged, plus scraper is crapping out with 12-9 t3ch build (and r25561 is even worse!) whereby it's not grabbing covers, just media info and download thumb not working which requires complete refresh (time consuming when manual). Maybe this is also memory problem.

So anyway, I simply deleted the original .tbn fanart which aforementioned resized .bmp (changed to .tbn) and seemingly working fine. Just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything. it sucks that this has to be done everytime something new is added though. Would be cool if there were a way to force scrape of smaller image. Any ideas??
nm, tested and rebuilding makes absolutely no difference.

on another note, I'm officially done with any of the rev25000s. no matter whether latest t3ch or sshcs, they are both totally fubared, even with fan art totally deleted. one might play, then the next vid won't (goes to black screen), reboot - same thing, over and over and over. resize fan art, same. delete fan art, same.
So can someone answer the original question? Does adding ram fix any of these problems? I have a spare box in the closet that could donate ram if necessary.
I think someone mentioned in one of my help threads that XBMC does not utilize anything over the original amount of memory.
So although XBMC can see the memory (I read in another thread that it can indeed detect the added memory), it doesn't use it?
I *think* that is correct, but I'm basing that off of what another user posted so I am not totally sure.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fanart taking up all my memory0