Kodi 19 Audio Dropouts on Shield Pro
Hello everyone,

I seem to be experiencing random occasional audio drops when watching movies. The audio drops out for a split second and recovers. I never noticed any audio drops on version 18.9. I have Kodi 19 on nVidia Shield TV Pro (2020) and the movies are stored on my computer and shared via SMB.

At first I thought it was simply the one movie I was watching. I had about 10 total audio drops throughout a 2.5 hour movie. The I started noticing it on other movies, including movies I had watched with no audio drops before. Interestingly enough, if I rewind to the point where the audio dropped out, it doesn't drop out again at the same spot. I My Audio is set to allow pass-through and the video setting "Sync playback to display" is set to "No". I've tried changing various settings but no success.

Any tips?

Viken
I have the same issue. I have only just setup two shield installations, so I went straight to Kodi 19.

This issue seems to be on films only, I haven't noticed it on TV shows, which obviously have a shorter runtime. Today I watched two films. one with a Atmos soundtrack the other with DTSMA. In both cases I also observed around 10 across the entire runtime. Seemingly no pattern as they could be 20 mins apart or in some cases were shorter, maybe 5 mins. It is just a momentary drop so in action scenes like gunfire its not that noticeable, but I could tell.

My audio is set to passthrough so my AMP decodes the stream. haven't found a fix, other than what others have posted in similar threads - go back to v18.9. I don't concur that is a proper fix and for me its too hard to undo everything I setup for v19.
When you change IEC packer from Android to Kodi (recommended) the drop outs should be gone.
Works on my Kodi 19 Shield 2019 Pro setup.

(2021-04-12, 09:31)synci Wrote: When you change IEC packer from Android to Kodi (recommended) the drop outs should be gone.

Mine is already set to kodi.
(2021-04-12, 09:31)synci Wrote: When you change IEC packer from Android to Kodi (recommended) the drop outs should be gone.

Mine is set the same as above, still getting audio drop-outs.  Swapping to the AC3 only track corrects the issue.
I have the same problem and they only appear with Atmos or DTS-HD MA audio passthrough (with 1080p and 2160p resolution). The drop-outs happen randomly every 20-30 min. Note, I am using the Atmos audio track, yet my AVR only supports True Dolby-HD. Since my AVR - Denon 1611 does not support 4k, I am using this rather new splitter: Feintech VAX01202

I have changed all my HDMI cables and used two different splitters. Furthermore, I tried different HDMI cables and ended up with certified ultra speed ones now. Moreover, I tested 2 different Shield Pros (2019). As my last rsesort, I tried different Kodi Builds as well, the drop-outs still persist with v18 and v19 (with mkv DV). I also tried the emby and PLEX app on the shield, yet they also showed random audio drops.  I also have an old Vero 4k (non +) that outputs 4k HDR and Dolby HD/ DTS-MA. However, the Vero outputs videos without any audio-drop. Therefore, I conclude that there is a firmware and/or hardware problem with the shield causing this audio drops. It drives my nuts!!! Is there any solution?

TV: LG CX 77'
AVR: Denon 1611
Splitter: Feintech VAX01202
HDMI Cables: Maxonar 2x 1m and 1x 3m
Shield 2919 Pro: v8.2.2
Looks like I may have to try grab some logs next time I'm watching a movie.

The dropouts happen here too.  But only with the tracks that have surround sound.  My setup is on Windows 10 with passthrough enabled.  I then have an optical cable attached to my Sonos Beam.  Every 30 minutes or so you hear the drop out.  The wife hasn't been bothered enough by it yet but I have.

It doesn't happen on my stereo tracks.
I just watched two films. First was TrueHd/Atoms. got around 12-14 dropouts.

Second AC-3, none.

From the one I noticed around 10 on the other day, that is DTS-HD MA.

All are MKVs and my AMP is capable of decoding them all.

Thanks for all the replies, folks. I have been distracted and not been able to check up on the thread. I will pay attention to the decoding type/style. Most of my movie collection I ripped . from my BD's using Handbrake and I set the Audio decoding to "Pass through". When I watch movies it's usually the DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD Soundtrack. I'll make note of the soundtrack when the drop-outs happen.

Where can I find the "IEC Packer" setting so I can change it? *Edit* OK, I found the IEC Packer setting and it was already set to Kodi.

This brings up another question: What are the best audio settings to use for my circumstance: My Shield is connected via HDMI to my Yamaha Aventage RXA-1040 HT Receiver. Audio and Video both go through the receiver. What should I use for Kodi Audio settings in this circumstance? I currently allow Audio Passthrough

Number of outputs: should I stick with 2.0 or go with 7.1? Apparently it doesn't mater if you use pass-though?
Output Config: Fixed, Optimized or Best Match?
Resample Quality: Does it matter?

I'm wondering if any of these settings would impact the audio drops?

Viken
Has anyone tested 19.1 to see if this fixes the dropouts? I don't think its on the play store yet so mine haven't auto updated.
I just watched a DTS movie on KODI which has now updated to 19.1. Its on a secondary TV, which I don't often watch but I do recall dropouts there. There were none observed over the 2 hours. I see my main setup is also on 19.1, so its something I need to keep an eye on.
(2021-05-23, 19:20)Jpmonroe Wrote: I just watched a DTS movie on KODI which has now updated to 19.1. Its on a secondary TV, which I don't often watch but I do recall dropouts there. There were none observed over the 2 hours. I see my main setup is also on 19.1, so its something I need to keep an eye on.

That's good to know. I am now on 19.1 as well. Haven't watched any movies since the 19.1 update. I queued up Pink Floyd's The Wall (movie) and am just listening in the background. I noticed one audio drop-out and I'm about 1/2 way through. This one has a DTS-HD MA Soundtrack on passthrough audio. I'll have to make an effort to watch a couple of movies and pay attention to the drop-outs.

VikenK
Hi Everyone,

I've updated to 19.1, as mentioned in my last post. I watched two movies last night and did NOT experience any audio drops. One had a DTS soundtrack and one had a Dolby Digital Plus Soundtrack. I hope this is a good sign.

As a reminder of my setup: I have a nVidia Shield Pro with Kodi 19.1 connected via LAN cable to my router. My library source is on my PC computer in my office area and is connected via SMB.
(2021-06-20, 01:53)vikenk Wrote: Hi Everyone,

I've updated to 19.1, as mentioned in my last post. I watched two movies last night and did NOT experience any audio drops. One had a DTS soundtrack and one had a Dolby Digital Plus Soundtrack. I hope this is a good sign.
I have 0 issues with DTS-HD/DTS/DD+, only with TrueHD/Atmos Tracks.
I was under the impression that this had something to do with Android codec support, and that the fix might make it into the next major release in the future. I use a Denon X3600H. From my experience periodic audio dropouts with Atmos (especially TrueHD) are 100% guaranteed with the the Kodi packer. Switching to Android will make some play fine, but if you pause, skip, or do anything other than play it straight through the audio will start cycling random codecs until you stop playback completely and restart it.

This is true with all versions of 19. 18.x had none of these issues from the time I started using it, however central collection artwork is such a great new feature.

Unfortunately, this leaves around 40% of my library unplayable on Kodi. I've been looking for either an equally capable non-Android device or a tolerable Kodi alternative without any luck. I don't think this is slated to be a priority fix because Android codecs are apparently annoying to deal with.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 19 Audio Dropouts on Shield Pro0