Win Home screen interface completely broken in both Leia & Matrix, old and new installs
debug log: http://paste.kodi.tv/vahowojuva

Up until a couple of days ago I had been running Leia on Windows 10 for years. Suddenly, Kodi started crashing and quitting spontaneously after it had run for a while, even when idle on the interface. So I did a portable install with Matrix and started to configure it. It ran stably.

When I came back to it this morning, none of the icons on the home screen were clickable except for "In Progress." All the other thumbnails (Random, Unwatched) are *dead*. They do not respond to clicks of any kind.
However, this problem seems to be confined to the home screen because viewing content in the categories or titles view works.
And to make matters worse Kodi still crashes spontaneously.

NOW, the weirdest thing about this is that the home screen is broken in both my original install, my original install "repaired," my original install restored from Easeus backup (which worked before) AND fresh portable installs of both Leia and Matrix. The portable installs do not crash but the home screen is broken in the same way.
The forum moderators have determined that banned addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time.
What is the offending addon?

I do not run any streaming addons. I stream only local media. The addons running at the time I submitted the log were common plugin cache, last played, watchdog and youtube.
(2021-08-16, 19:33)channeledbymodem Wrote: What is the offending addon?

2021-08-16 12:49:05.202 T:18476 NOTICE: ADDON: repository.xbmchub v4.0.0 installed

The orange-colored one in your log file. There are no linked add-ons, but the repository itself is still on the naughty list.
(2021-08-16, 19:36)Klojum Wrote:

2021-08-16 12:49:05.202 T:18476 NOTICE: ADDON: repository.xbmchub v4.0.0 installed

The orange-colored one in your log file. There are no linked add-ons, but the repository itself is still on the naughty list.

This is the only repository in orange I see in the log. I have no idea what it is. But it does not appear in my list of addons so I do not know how to remove it.
(2021-08-16, 19:44)channeledbymodem Wrote: I have no idea what it is.

It's a somewhat older repository that facilitates multiple add-ons for streaming movies, tv shows, sports and whatnot. Usually these things do not automagically appear on a Kodi setup.

(2021-08-16, 19:44)channeledbymodem Wrote: But it does not appear in my list of addons so I do not know how to remove it.

That's a bit weird. You could have a look in the .kodi/addons folder and see if there is a subfolder with that name. And also search for a folder in the userdata/addon_data for any settings files.
Perhaps also clean out your .kodi/addon/packages folder.
And then restart Kodi.
(2021-08-16, 19:44)channeledbymodem Wrote:
(2021-08-16, 19:36)Klojum Wrote:

This is the only repository in orange I see in the log. I have no idea what it is. But it does not appear in my list of addons so I do not know how to remove it.

Although xbmchub does not appear in my addons list within Kodi I can find it in Windows explorer.

C:\Users\Ron\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\repository.xbmchub
C:\Users\Ron\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\packages\repository.xbmchub-4.0.0.zip

I deleted both of them. Since that was the only offending addon, can you please take my word for it that it is gone and use the log as I sent it. Smile If I have to I'll run the debug log again later today.
I think screenshots of your Home screen interfaces would be helpful to understand the problem.
(2021-08-16, 20:24)Klojum Wrote: I think screenshots of your Home screen interfaces would be helpful to understand the problem.

I have attached a screenshot of my home page: https://imgur.com/a/5BYD81F. The categories and in progress icons work as expected. Below in progress none of the icons are interactive. Plus on this install, Kodi keeps quitting spontaneously after a few minutes no matter what it is doing. This is not a problem with the portable test builds.

However, the portable test builds of 18 and 19 along with C:\ installs of 18 and 19 BOTH have the dead icons problem.

FYI, all builds are official and "vanilla." Skin is stock estuary.
Let's straighten out this set-up and start fresh with a Portable mode (wiki) plain jane vanilla installation. Looking over you original log 'top post' it would seem that a plethora of add-ons have compromised clean code. Turn off scanning on start (Something in your library might be tripping up Kodi, as it's scanning in the background) and let it sit after you run it... Does it crash? No' at this point would indicate a good install, Yes' would indicate some hardware issue. Next, set sources and initiate scanning.. failure/crash here would indicate a corrupt file and a contaminated library, success at this point; suggests some of that crap you used to run is the villain.

A corrupt file (like a bad rar file) on scan effects any or all Kodi installations (even new) whihc occupy too much processing time, that normal interface interactions act frozen. 

Let's have another debug log of the suggested portable installation.
(2021-08-16, 23:28)PatK Wrote: Let's straighten out this set-up and start fresh with a Portable mode (wiki) plain jane vanilla installation. Looking over you original log 'top post' it would seem that a plethora of add-ons have compromised clean code. Turn off scanning on start (Something in your library might be tripping up Kodi, as it's scanning in the background) and let it sit after you run it... Does it crash? No' at this point would indicate a good install, Yes' would indicate some hardware issue. Next, set sources and initiate scanning.. failure/crash here would indicate a corrupt file and a contaminated library, success at this point; suggests some of that crap you used to run is the villain.

A corrupt file (like a bad rar file) on scan effects any or all Kodi installations (even new) whihc occupy too much processing time, that normal interface interactions act frozen. 

Let's have another debug log of the suggested portable installation.
I have attached a debug log for a fresh portable install of 19: http://paste.kodi.tv/dadayucefe. It ran for about an hour before being non-responsive. I was able to install it start debugging, add a few videos and play one. I left it playing the video and when I came back it was not responding. So the portable install did not crash as soon as the original install but it did eventually crash. The dead icons below in progress persist; they do not respond to clicks: https://imgur.com/a/5BYD81F
(2021-08-17, 14:47)channeledbymodem Wrote: It ran for about an hour before being non-responsive.
This is a bit clearer now; this is unusual for a portable plain Kodi installation; it should not crash on viable hardware after an hour. Unless it's trying to play a corrupt file or in some way the system hardware is challenged by bad memory or overheating. Nothing in the log pertains to the issue that I can see, suggest you monitor system temps, and keep video OSD monitors up looking for threshold limits, lost frames and bottle necks, re-seat any or all cards & plugs. You might want to reduce Desktop Resolution: 2560x1440 32Bit at 59Hz to 1920x1080x60 and see if taking the pressure off the gfx engine results in a successful cooler operation.
(2021-08-17, 16:07)PatK Wrote:
(2021-08-17, 14:47)channeledbymodem Wrote: It ran for about an hour before being non-responsive.
This is a bit clearer now; this is unusual for a portable plain Kodi installation; it should not crash on viable hardware after an hour. Unless it's trying to play a corrupt file or in some way the system hardware is challenged by bad memory or overheating. Nothing in the log pertains to the issue that I can see, suggest you monitor system temps, and keep video OSD monitors up looking for threshold limits, lost frames and bottle necks, re-seat any or all cards & plugs. You might want to reduce Desktop Resolution: 2560x1440 32Bit at 59Hz to 1920x1080x60 and see if taking the pressure off the gfx engine results in a successful cooler operation.

I reran the portable install again with the same configuration and it was able to complete a 30 minute conventionally encoded mkv. Leaving potential crashing aside, what would cause some icons to be active and work properly (in progress) but others (unseen movies) are not "clickable." In other words the thumbnail art seems to have no linkage to any Kodi function. Iow, it's just a graphic.

Best guess: is this something inherent in Kodi or is it endemic to my pc. This pc used to work with kodi and I can't think of what I might have changed to cause such an usual malfunction. What is odd is that no version of Kodi, either portable or installed to C:/, Leia or Matrix, has all of its "buttons" working now.

I may have to move to Plex. Sad This is like when Google killed Google Play Music and I had to migrate years worth of likes to Spotify.
A portable installation as I described would mean you re-define your sources and re-scan, should not include any ghost icons/artwork/thumbnails. Properly handled there is no reason that ghost icons could be scraped for non-existent media. I suspect you are still trying to 'save' your original installation which has been compromised and indeed you may have an o/s that also has been infected.

Kodi works for millions of users. Pull up a proper Portable installation (wiki) as suggested, dictate your sources, set your scrapers and you should be off to the races.
(2021-08-17, 17:54)channeledbymodem Wrote: Best guess: is this something inherent in Kodi or is it endemic to my pc.

It's your PC because no one else has this problem.  Best guess:  Those banned add-ons affected more than just your Kodi installation and have migrated to other aspects of your PC evidenced by continued symptoms using a portable install.  I'd bet dimes to dollars an install on a completely different clean PC or reload of Windows on your present one would function perfectly.  That's assuming you did a portable install correctly. 

If it were me, I'd rename my Kodi roaming folder (just so you don't disturb it during diagnosing) to something like "Original_Kodi", uninstall your present Kodi installation, reboot, reinstall official 19.1 and let a fresh new Kodi roaming folder install.  Add a known good media locally (I suggest any of the related test files from here https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples) and confirm your new install works.  If not, you've got problems imbedded in the O/S someplace imo.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Home screen interface completely broken in both Leia & Matrix, old and new installs0