5.1 ->7.1 transcode leaves side channels empty
Hi!

Just noticed that if I set "fixed channels" 7.1 in Kodi settings, all 5.1 material will play from three front speakers, and two rears. I would have assumed surround data is at least copied to all four surround speakers? And "rear only" is wrong anyway, 5.1 setup should be front+side and no rears.

This is Kodi 19.1 running on Shield Pro 2019.

My AVR normally converts all "less than 7.1" formats to 7.1 using ProLogicIIx matrix, but for some reason that doesn't work for 5.1 PCM. That's why I figured I could force 7.1 in Kodi.
Kodi won't upmix, so if you set Kodi to send a fixed 7.1 when watching 5.1 then Kodi will send 7.1 but with 2 of the channels containing no audio since it retains the used channels as 5.1.
(2021-10-02, 15:56)jjd-uk Wrote: Kodi won't upmix, so if you set Kodi to send a fixed 7.1 when watching 5.1 then Kodi will send 7.1 but with 2 of the channels containing no audio since it retains the used channels as 5.1.

OK. Sad

But it's the wrong channels; rear should be silent.

Anyway I'm now using "best match" so 5.1 plays at PCM 5.1. This leaves the rear silent. But now I have to wonder why my AVR doesn't apply ProLogicIIx to create 7.1, which is does for any other 5.1 format..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5.1 ->7.1 transcode leaves side channels empty0